News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

New signage out front on Spadina, which may indicate some work happening behind the scenes:

"The Victory Reborn by Boa Group and Gatserelia Design: 2021"

Dec 2, 2020

20201202_134949.jpg
20201202_135026.jpg
20201202_135039.jpg

Last edited:
Another view of the original theatre ceiling from Boa Group's IG.

They also have a "sneak peak at the future" photo, which may potentially be what they're redesigning the new ceiling to be. Not confirmed that it is, but the octagonal shape in the middle does appear to line up with the original:

20210201_141538.jpg
20210201_141607.jpg

Some word salad from their website:

The Historic "sinful" Victory Burlesque theatre​

reimagined & reborn as a modern age noetic, auditory and gustatory social campus, future home to:

Boa Playhouse
concert & culture hall
Epulum
gastronomic theatre
DaJi's Den
apothecary of spirits
The Standard
zakuski bar
Amun-Ra
solar temple

--design by--
Gatserelia Design

Some word salad from their website:

Ok, I pride myself on my vocabulary; and will periodically compliment others for using rare and interesting words.

But its a truly a rare day where I have to look up an English word that isn't very technical or industry jargon.

But that managed it.

Noetic............was new to me.

As such I will assume it to be new to others..............

Herewith, the definition.

1612208615671.png

Last edited:

I love the idea of the restored facade and marquee.

But, I assume that massing the tower in that way would mean little of the original interior could be preserved, at least in any functional way, which would be a shame. They seem to suggest retaining the theatre, but I don't see any exoskeleton support system, so new columns would have to go through the existing building somewhere.

I also think the tower is intrusive to the appearance of the theatre and that deeper setbacks would be preferred.

I agree entirely.
I wasn't expecting this tower on top at all. Naive me I thought the theatre was being developed as a 'new' venue only. At first glance didn't look up and even see the tower! I do agree that Spadina Ave. should be densified to some extent. I also do not mind that the theatre will be saved with added density but how and at what cost to the integrity of the theatre. Keeping mind it has been so butchered over the years. Otherwise an interesting and exiting project.

Awesome, this building is kind of sad in its current condition. I wonder how they will deal with the blank south facades.

Do we know how much of the theatre has survived in its current state?

In general, I like this idea though, it just needs some refinement.

The picture of the interior as it was in 2018 is just up the page. Original ceilings more or less in tact. Some other ornamentation as well.

Original flooring is long gone by the looks of it.

But there's still a lot to work with.

Back