News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've never understood the appeal of the "Path" either and would never recommend it as a tourist must see in Toronto or Montreal or anywhere. It's like telling a tourist they should visit a Dominion or Shopper's Drug Mart because of the square footage.

Before I became closely familiar to the PATH I sent this poor Texan tourist to the north instead of to Union Station.:(

Again I'd like to thank everyone for your thorough and very, very, useful responses.

If this helps I'm an architecture buff, love transit. Study the history and neighborhoods of my own city so it's not actually that hard for me to kinda get a feel for a place like Toronto by listening and reading this site.

Our message board is eerily similar to yours. :rolleyes:

I'm going with a group but I'm breaking away as I tend to like to explore more "local" areas.

Thanks for listing them everyone.

I'm also pretty urban savvy and not afraid to check out as many of these as possible.

You guys gave me a lot so I'm trying to plan accordingly. (and research whew!)

I've never understood the appeal of the "Path" either and would never recommend it as a tourist must see in Toronto or Montreal or anywhere. It's like telling a tourist they should visit a Dominion or Shopper's Drug Mart because of the square footage.

Most cities don't have anything like it.

A neighbourhood that hasn't been mentioned, however will be the one you will be staying on the fringe of, is the Church & Wellesley gaybourhood. Regardless of your persuasion, it's well worth a visit...and perhaps more.

our gayborhood is actually called the gayborhood and has rainbow modified street signs.

070730_philly_hmed_4p.h2.jpg

Ours is worth a visit so I'll be sure to visit yours as well.

Not my persuasion but normally one of the cooler areas of any city to check out.

And I so hope that in the process of LED-ing and juicing-up the PECO Building, they don't trash the old scrolling lettering style holus bolus...
Pediatric%20Nurse%20Practitioners%20Make%20Kids%20Healthier.jpg

PECO's getting a green roof and replacement lights. Guess you haven't seen the upgrade two blocks away? (Cira Centre)

AL080420018L2.jpg

It used to shimmer but there were too many accidents on I-76. Now it goes random colors and can do pig letters like a P for the Phillies.

It's not like that. It's based on other reasons than safety. Based upon urbandreamer's posts, I would say that he says this because:

- "Queen Street from Yonge to Spadina" is corporate. Between University and Spadina is basically an outdoor shopping mall where suburbanites come and go shopping. Like a New Yorker avoiding Times Square.
- "the office district". Corporate, nothing but office buildings. Like a New Yorker having no reason to go downtown unless he works there.
- "anything north of Eglinton". Suburban. Like Long Island.
- "Yonge St, east to Parliament". Okay, a little sketchy in places, particularly at night. However, this location also includes St. Lawrence, a fantastic neighborhood any time of day or night.

Frankly, I don't think it's very good advice and you would probably be best to ignore it.

I will take all advice into my planning. Thanks!

Desolate: Check the TTC fares-depending on the time and length of your visit a Weekly Pass or Day Pass would definitely be the way to go with the TTC. CDL: Good TTC trip ideas-I'd use that posted info myself on a future visit!

Urbandreamer: Those areas you posted to avoid interest me much-do you actually mean AFTER DARK as I suspect? I would be much surprised to see some of those areas listed UNSAFE IN DAYTIME-care to comment?

I have spent much time in Philadelphia-I have been a visitor on a regular basis there for more then 30 years and I lived in the area between 1993-2000.

I wanted to comment on the posted map of the Center City Concourses-how old is it? There are parts that are now closed off-like the part under North Broad Street from City Hall N to the Race-Vine Broad Street Subway station.

The only area with substantial retail shops to be comparable with the Toronto PATH system is the area NW of City Hall going towards SEPTA's Suburban Station.

Other parts of the CC Concourse-like the wide-open South Broad concourse to the BSL's Walnut-Locust Station and the two PATCO legs under Locust Street have minimal retail areas-mostly just access to places up above. The concourses under Market Street from the BSL past 13th and 11th Street Stations are basically again just access to places up above-like Gallery West and the Market East Station on the 11th street N side or 1234 Market-SEPTA HQ and Wanamaker's/Macy's at 13th Street S.

Which part of Philadelphia do you live in? I am a regular visitor to the Fox Chase area these days. Is that streetcar you mean part of SEPTA Route 15 or 23(in Chestnut Hill)?

Post me back and by all means ENJOY TORONTO-I feel you will really like it!
Long Island Mike

I was just trying to show that we had a mini-Path.

We have expanded it under the Comcast Tower but the north broad section is still closed.

The city has made a real effort to literally clean it.

I'm from the lower NE. Live in Port Richmond.

They started re-running the 15 Girard Ave trolleys a couple years ago.

Septa the morons they are sold our PCC's to San Francisco and only kept enough to do the 15.

No 23 in the foreseeable future.

Here the new section of the suburban concourse.

080618_marketplace1.jpg

Credit: Phillyskyline.com (a fantastic website I might add)

And the entire Suburban Station was 100% renovated.

substation-05.jpg

You did this as a job? I've been long wondering about actual tourist impressions of the city. Would you be willing to write a descriptive post (you could start a new thread) about people's impressions, your impressions, people's comments, and conclusions of the study? Where did people actually go, what did they find actually worthwhile, what was a waste, what did they think of the city? I know I would find it immensely interesting, and I know others would as well.

I'll even buy you a beer at the next forum meet.

I will for ya.

Transit nerd? You're in good company on this forum! Have any particular interests?

First thing, the TTC is usually convenient and is completely safe.

For subways, my suggested tour would be to do this:
- Ride the Yonge (yellow line) from downtown north, and grab a window seat. The line has a couple open-air sections, and you can see the Davisville subway yard on the west side of the line around Davisville station.
- Get off at Sheppard station, and transfer to the Sheppard line (purple line, opened in 2002). Check out the tile art on the Sheppard line platforms at Sheppard station. Consider getting off at Bayview to check out the visual illusions.
- Ride to the end of the line at Don Mills and catch the 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket bus, which will take you straight to Scarborough Centre station on the SRT (blue line) in 15-20 minutes.
- Ride the SRT south/towards Kennedy. The line was very high-tech when it opened in 1985. The whole line is open-air, but there isn't much to see.
- Transfer to the Bloor-Danforth subway (green line) at Kennedy. You can ride back downtown all the way on the subway. But I would suggest either getting off at Main Street station and get on a 506 Streetcar that will take you back to Yonge and Carlton (by your hotel) through Little India and other neighbourhoods, or getting off at Broadview and getting on either a 504 King or 505 Dundas streetcar, either of which will take you downtown.
- This trip can all be done on one fare.

Other things worth checking out on the subway system are:
- Downsview station.
- The rest of the Spadina line (yellow line, Spadina-Downsview), which is about half open-air and features some nice stations (some of which, however, aren't in the greatest state of repair).
- Museum station.
- The Bloor-Danforth line between Castle Frank and Broadview stations runs along the lower deck of the Bloor Viaduct, offering impressive views of the Don valley below.

Streetcars are also a great way to check out the city.
- Here's a map of the streetcar lines.
- Here's the Wikipedia article.
- The 503 and 508 are rush-hour only, the 502 is infrequent and unreliable, and the 512 is closed for reconstruction west of St. Clair West station. Other than that, you're safe.
- Lines are frequent (each scheduled every 5-8 mins or so during the day), but traffic and poor management means that you can find yourself waiting for longer than that.
- Consider checking out the underground streetcar-subway transfers at Spadina, Union, and St. Clair West stations.
- 510 Spadina, 509 Harbourfront, and 512 St. Clair (Between St. Clair and St. Clair West stations) run in their own lanes in the middle of their respective streets.
- The 501 and 506 give you a nice tour of different neighbourhoods.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Please post any questions you may have!

A question may take a while. I'm trying to select my routes.

Is the first ride you mentioned a large loop? Like I could follow you first paragraph to return where I started?

I'm guessing it would be about 3-4 hours to do?

A question may take a while. I'm trying to select my routes.

Is the first ride you mentioned a large loop? Like I could follow you first paragraph to return where I started?

I'm guessing it would be about 3-4 hours to do?

Yeah, it's a big loop. Check out the system map on the TTC website to track what I suggested. I would expect it to be more like 2-3 hours.

Not sure what kind of music or scene you like but the Reservoir Lounge on Wellington East is nice for live music with a retro jazz/swing vibe. It's crowded and fun with mixed ages and little attitude, and people will even cut a rug there when the place gets going. Best bet is to cab it from your hotel though, or Yonge line to King and about a 5 minute walk from there just google it or look for the 'flat iron' building and you will find it opposite in the street north of it.

Barbarians steak house is probably walking distance from your hotel. It is 'old school' style and has been around since the 40s or 50s so there's some pedigree to it.

just a couple of ideas, but again knowing a bit more about your taste would help.

I'm not against meeting women 21-30 if that helps.

I'm too old for college type places. We have a couplesmaller 25+ places here that may play anything from older hip hop/dance like radio stuff.

If I was bringing a date I'd be totally for a jazz type place.

I'm coming with a bunch of guys but will most likely go out drinking with about 4.

We like good beers but we aren't against an night club as long as it isn't a total meat market with what we call "Jersey People" (fake bronze tans and frosted hair on guys) or raves. ;)

Many thanks on the restaurant.

We are trying to have a good dinner doesn't have to be 5 stars but we are trying to seat say 10 for a farewell party.

We chose Toronto because of it's proximity, cost and reputation as safe and fun.

Also leaving our country is kinda cool to us.

Back