News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I'd recommend

1)the Annex (Harbord/Bloor St West/Dupont/Palmerston/Avenue Rd)

2)the Beach (Queen East)--just take the streetcar from one end of Queen St to the other--$6 and 4 hours well spent!

3)Queen St West (Spadina to Roncevalles, about a 2 hour stroll and well worth it!)

4)Roncevalles--contining the walk from Queen St West, maybe another 30 minutes

5)Eglinton and Yonge north to Lawrence

6)Mount Pleasant--St Clair to Eglinton (Yonge St excluded)

7)Kensington Market

8)Yorkville

9)King St East

10)Up Ossington to Dundas St West to about Dufferin (then down to Queen St West via Dovercourt Rd or Lisgar)

11)Baldwin/McCaul/AGO

12)College St West from Spadina to Ossington

13)Forest Hill Village (Spadina and St Clair)

14)Cabbagetown

Avoid: Yonge St, east to Parliament, Queen St West from Yonge to Spadina, the office district and anything north of Eglinton

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a big loop. Check out the system map on the TTC website to track what I suggested. I would expect it to be more like 2-3 hours.

Seems to be about the same size. More subway less trains than us. Same amount of streetcars but yours are spread out and ours are what was left after the gutted our system for buses.

GO I'm guessing is regional trains but what's a GO bus?

Some good suggestions have been made. King's College circle is picturesque. There's not much to do there (if you're not a student) as it's the centre of a university, but the architecture is beautiful, and the skyline in background makes it even better.

If this helps I'm an architecture buff, love transit. Study the history and neighborhoods of my own city so it's not actually that hard for me to kinda get a feel for a place like Toronto by listening and reading this site.

The architecture-buff part reminds me of an inherent flaw in the "tourist marketing" of PATH: by treating it as a destination in and of itself, it all too often pays little or no regard to what lies overground, whether it be the TD Centre or anything else. It's treated as a faceless, dateless, placeless vacuumland like any old megamall. It isn't. And for true, curious architectural and urban buffs with a yen for the energy of being in The Financial Heart Of Canada, that's part of the fun.

Speaking of the TD Centre, one of Toronto's great instances of unsung urban poetry can only be experienced from the PATH during banking hours: ascending the escalator into Mies' banking pavilion. The monumentality positively envelops you, in a way that a prosaic street-level entry cannot. It's like you're ascending to the Pearly Gates of High Modernism. (And while there, you might check out what's happening at the Design Exchange next door--often a good free ground-floor exhibit. And hey, why not do what the Romans do and join the execs in buying an overpriced bowlful at Soup Nutsy down at concourse level.)

Our message board is eerily similar to yours. :rolleyes:

I did a search on Phillyist and had problems finding any refs or reflections on the changing PECO signage. Maybe it'd be different if Phillyist were more like Torontoist; I don't know...

Last edited:
The architecture-buff part reminds me of an inherent flaw in the "tourist marketing" of PATH: by treating it as a destination in and of itself, it all too often pays little or no regard to what lies overground, whether it be the TD Centre or anything else. It's treated as a faceless, dateless, placeless vacuumland like any old megamall. It isn't. And for true, curious architectural and urban buffs with a yen for the energy of being in The Financial Heart Of Canada, that's part of the fun.

Speaking of the TD Centre, one of Toronto's great instances of unsung urban poetry can only be experienced from the PATH during banking hours: ascending the escalator into Mies' banking pavilion. The monumentality positively envelops you, in a way that a prosaic street-level entry cannot. It's like you're ascending to the Pearly Gates of High Modernism. (And while there, you might check out what's happening at the Design Exchange next door--often a good free ground-floor exhibit. And hey, why not do what the Romans do and join the execs in buying an overpriced bowlful at Soup Nutsy down at concourse level.)

I did a search on Phillyist and had problems finding any refs or reflections on the changing PECO signage. Maybe it'd be different if Phillyist were more like Torontoist; I don't know...

What's kinda funny about your suggestions.

I was going to TD Bank as they bought our bank down here in philly called Commerce.

So I was going to go and do some banking while checking out the tower.

Pretty much the same way you told me to from coming up into it.

Here's some info on the sign.
http://www.solidstatelighting.net/documents/articles/cldoc/11370.html

our bb's are http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/ & www.philadelphiaspeaks.com

with www.Phillyskyline.com as a super photo site.

Urbandreamer's list is a pretty good one, although I would disagree with his suggestion that you avoid Queen Street west of Yonge. A walk along this street takes you past several of our best examples of architecture: Old City Hall, New City Hall, Osgoode Hall, Four Seasons Centre ("opera house"), the somewhat "monumental" University Avenue, Canada Life building, and a few others. Go as far as Spadina Avenue and see a bit of Chinatown. Also, this walk would offer several opportunities to get "street meat" (hot dogs vended from carts on the street), a Toronto experience and a fairly cheap and quick way to eat if you have limited time.

Avoid spending too much time in the PATH. It's essentially a mildly interesting shopping centre, and you'll see more up on the streets above it.

If you were coming in the summer time, I'd suggest a ferry ride to Toronto Island. It's a bit bleak and cold at this time of year.

Urbandreamer's list is a pretty good one, although I would disagree with his suggestion that you avoid Queen Street west of Yonge. A walk along this street takes you past several of our best examples of architecture: Old City Hall, New City Hall, Osgoode Hall, Four Seasons Centre ("opera house"), the somewhat "monumental" University Avenue, Canada Life building, and a few others. Go as far as Spadina Avenue and see a bit of Chinatown. Also, this walk would offer several opportunities to get "street meat" (hot dogs vended from carts on the street), a Toronto experience and a fairly cheap and quick way to eat if you have limited time.
And amidst all the chain stuff, Pages Books still lingers (for now).

Avoid spending too much time in the PATH. It's essentially a mildly interesting shopping centre, and you'll see more up on the streets above it.

The best "argument" for PATH is simply as part of the financial district, rather than in and of itself, i.e. as a symbiotic, matter-of-fact part of the whole TD/CC/FCP/RBP/SP/BCE shebang, no different from underground systems elsewhere. I mean, why be *stuck* down there, unless it's blizzard conditions outside (or, as has happened on at least a couple of occasions over the past couple of years, a piece of a building or falling shards of ice leave things off limits at street level).

image002.gif

Take the 506 Carlton streetcar west all the way to High Park. From the loop beside Parkside Drive, you can follow the trail down to Spring Road and explore the Park.

highpark.jpg

A full page PDF map of High Park can be downloaded from this link.

You can return via the subway or the 501 Queen.

Queen Street West is great - there's so many cool bars & shops along there, it's easy to spend a day just strolling around looking in all the cool stores & then stopping off later in the night at the Velvet Underground for a beer or 2! Chinatown is great too

If you are visiting in winter there's a great ice rink in the middle of the city that you can ice skate at :)

I don't know if anyone will read this but I really loved visiting your city.

Loved it. Did all sorts of touristy things and still had an awesome time.

You should be very proud.

after four days I wanted to stay.

... ascending the escalator into Mies' banking pavilion. The monumentality positively envelops you, in a way that a prosaic street-level entry cannot. It's like you're ascending to the Pearly Gates of High Modernism.

I had to laugh when I read this. This is a perfect description.

I don't know if anyone will read this but I really loved visiting your city.

Loved it. Did all sorts of touristy things and still had an awesome time.

You should be very proud.

after four days I wanted to stay.

Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to hear positive feedback!:D

Back