News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Perhaps those opposing a Walmart on Bathurst can tell us how the recent opening of the Walmart at Gerrard/Pape has impacted the east end?

Perhaps those opposing a Walmart on Bathurst can tell us how the recent opening of the Walmart at Gerrard/Pape has impacted the east end?

it replaced a Zellers, with less stock and ruder staff....no real impact.

I shop at Walmart because it is dramatically cheaper on a few articles I need.

Best example is Depends, everyday price at Walmart $16.00, on sale $13.00. Same item at Shoppers Drug Mart, $25.00, on sale $18.00.

That speaks volumes about Shoppers Drug Mart, not Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is a very convenient place to go shopping for a number of things, but at the end of the day it is completely unnecessary at the location where it's being proposed. When you factor in the negative consequences of supporting their business model - I'm pretty reluctant to support this.

This development would lead to a loss of both jobs and capital for the local economy.

it replaced a Zellers, with less stock and ruder staff....no real impact.
Sorry ... did the Zellars have less stock and ruder staff, or did the Walmart? I seldom ever went in, even though I shop in Gerrard Square occasionally.

I shop at Walmart because it is dramatically cheaper on a few articles I need.

Best example is Depends, everyday price at Walmart $16.00, on sale $13.00. Same item at Shoppers Drug Mart, $25.00, on sale $18.00.
Shoppers is so expensive for everything though. How does it compare to No Thrills, or Metro?

Though personally when I've gone looking for stuff in Walmart, it's either not-in-stock, or the stuff they sell is a lower-quality brand instead.

I had a post ready to go, but it won't convince you. Carry on...

What, that downtowners without cars who want to shop at Wal-Mart also can't afford to take transit?

I think the proximity to Kensington being raised as an issue is kind of misleading. The site is on the western fringe of Kensington, where there is almost no retail, except a short strip opposite the hospital, and nothing there really competes with Wal-Mart on anything.

But the effects on traffic along Bathurst, which is bad as it is, will be significant, especially if the plan calls for parking.

What, that downtowners without cars who want to shop at Wal-Mart also can't afford to take transit?
Presumably not. The point that he wasn't willing to challenge was simply that why would one walk to Dufferin from Kensington, rather than take the streetcar. Whether one was going to be shopping at Wally World or go to the hospital wasn't part of the equation.

But the effects on traffic along Bathurst, which is bad as it is, will be significant, especially if the plan calls for parking.

RioCan says approximately 300 below ground parking spots, I haven't seen the plans.

(Adam) Vaughan didn’t mince words when addressing RioCan.
“If Kensington Market bleeds one drop of blood, it will be on your good name,” he stated, to thunderous applause.

http://torontoist.com/2013/06/at-a-packed-meeting-kensington-market-says-no-to-walmart/

It's not even in Kensington first of all. Second if people shop there, obviously there is a demand for it. If people don't, it will be gone within a couple of years. They have just as much right to be there as ANY retailer does.

It's not even in Kensington first of all. Second if people shop there, obviously there is a demand for it. If people don't, it will be gone within a couple of years. They have just as much right to be there as ANY retailer does.

and local residents and shop keepers who don’t want them there have every right to try to keep them out.

the idea that this monster won't draw customers away from smaller locally-owned businesses is laughable.

Back