News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Assuming this one is 'close' to what it will be.

FhyoldrWYAMqoyY.jpg

^^^^ That would have been on par with what is proposed. I am gathering from your defensive posture that you think this concept is great. There are already parks in Edmonton that surpass this effort.

I think it’s a good concept, not unlike what you’d see in central parks in other major cities in Canada or the US. What I don’t want to see are gimmicks or fads in the design and I think those aren’t present - pieces of great parks are all there, some could just be arranged in a different way.

It could take some time for the park to grow with downtown. The West LRT and other residential projects will help.

In filling out the survey, I've included some of the suggestions that have been mentioned in this thread.
In terms of all the accessibility and safety features of the Park, if the city doesn't do a better job of clearing the walks in winter than they do in Paul Kane Park (last year was poor), the surfaces and wide walkways will be meaningless. I hope to see significant improvement in that regard.

As the present rendering reveals, the design doesn't even measure up to the likes of Edmonton's Paul Kane park. @Avenuer, you are lost in generalizations when you say that it has elements of other great parks -- what are those elements -- grass and trees? The Planning certainly misses the mark!

As the present rendering reveals, the design doesn't even measure up to the likes of Edmonton's Paul Kane park. @Avenuer, you are lost in generalizations when you say that it has elements of other great parks -- what are those elements -- grass and trees? The Planning certainly misses the mark!
Why not design something yourself? Not being crass, you just have the skills to do it and I’d love to see what your vision is.

Elements include: pavillion building with washrooms and commercial space, playground, basketball / ball sports court, all-seasons water feature, plaza areas, dog park, outdoor fitness equipment, open grassed area for lounging (and impromptu sports), picnicking areas, and of course TREES.

What is missing that you have seen in parks in other major cities?

^^^^ And my car has brakes, an engine, a steering wheel, 4 tires, 2 headlights, 2 tail lights, 4 seats, a roof, and a horn -- now that doesn't say much about what kind of car I have or how desirable it would be from a functionality point of view, does it?

Warehouse Park: creating a space for connection and community in the downtown heart of Edmonton
by City of Edmonton | Posted on November 14, 2022

15.-Existing-2048x1152.jpg

14.-107-Street-Entry-Plaza-2048x1325.jpg

13.-106-Street-Entry-Plaza-2048x1325.jpg

12.-Basketball-court-2048x1325.jpg

11.-Fitness-Area-2048x1325.jpg

10.-Dog-off-leash-2048x1325.jpg

1.-Landscape-Framework-2048x1325.jpg

4.-The-Ribbon-at-night-2048x1325.jpg

9.-Pathway-and-playground-2048x1325.jpg

Looks nice. Beating the dead horse here but it needs more attractive qualities though and not to just be a pedestrian connector for the downtown.

Biggest concerns have already been hit on. The snack shack needs to be replaced with a full on cafe that serves warm drinks and beer. Possibly even lunch.

Also, that open space is massive in scale against the rest of the park - like it’s nearly the size of a football field. If you are going to have an item utterly dominate the park like that just for sitting around, it should include an amphitheatre, integrate a far larger water feature, and have botanical and horticultural amenities that far outdo what is done.

The lighting features and displays need to be vastly improved if this park is to both be a landmark destination and safe afterhours. That playground is looking quite basic and the city needs to explore more of a school playground style of park. If I’m a parent, I’m not walking a block just to take a kid to a little jungle gym.

The design is on the right track, but it needs way more thought and assumed dollars put into it if it’s going to be an activated, safe, and photogenic space. It would be such a shame to see the city go with cheap answers after spending so much money procuring the land. Especially since something like this has so much potential to either be a nothing project, or a redefining catalyst for the entire area.

Please continue working on this CoE. Scaling features and improving on the “basicness” will pay off in future area investment.

Last edited:

Back