News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The thing about urban parks is that it they should be designed to offset the amenities of a house/backyard for those living in smaller, less amenity rich multi-fam buildings. When you look around the world, these parks become the community hubs, backyards, driveway basketball games, 'stoops' and places of relaxation and fresh air.

The absence of a fountain at Warehouse Park will be like going to a camp ground only to discover that the camp ground has no fire pit. The park will have no central attraction where visitors can relax on a warm afternoon and do nothing. No listening to splashing water, no feeding the birds that come around. Nope. This is about sports and programming. Considering all the city funding that has been dedicated to bike lanes and biking trails for young able bodied citizens, it disappointing that one fountain that elderly people could enjoy in the new park is too much for city officials to support and advance funding for.
Considering that downtown has two massive fountains at City Hall and the Legislature as well as water features at Violet King Henry Plaza and Alex Decoteau makes me think it's probably OK. Tbh I think Edmonton does pretty well in the "parks that are good for pondering in" department, so I don't see the issue with prioritizing programming and activities.

Edit: To add, weirdly enough I hadn't watched the city's flythrough video from May yet, and I'm very impressed. That lighting feature will be very nice.

Last edited:
bike lanes are great.
Bike lanes have added to the vibrancy of the urban environment in the city imo but so would a fountain at a much cheaper cost. Exactly how a city in excess of 1 million people can find $170M for bike lanes but cann't handle the cost of one fountain is preposterous. I'd agree that a fountain in a park in a remote part of the city would be wasting money but Warehouse Park is right downtown and a fountain would show case the park and the city. It doesn't necessarily need to be a fountain comparable to the ones found in the great parks of the world, but the park will be around for generations to come, so there should be something.

Bike lanes have added to the vibrancy of the urban environment in the city imo but so would a fountain at a much cheaper cost. Exactly how a city in excess of 1 million people can find $170M for bike lanes but cann't handle the cost of one fountain is preposterous.
Bike lanes are not an amenity that is a nice to have that "adds vibrancy", they are core transportation infrastructure that is required for safe movement through the city for a wide variety of folks. Bike lanes are comparable to an overpass, not a fountain. A fountain is an amenity, and while it would have been great it isn't comparable. Bike lanes save lives and facilitate movement, fountains add vibrancy.

Sure, that's valid. But when the park is built and we're sitting in it enjoying a summer day, it will probably be near the top of the list of the things the park could benefit from. It's just another stupid unforced error by the city.
Yes, a lot of money will be spent, but it will end it may end up looking cheap and diluted. A signature park? I guess that's the signature of the city. We've cut back on crap, but we still like to cheap out.

Bike lanes are not an amenity that is a nice to have that "adds vibrancy", they are core transportation infrastructure that is required for safe movement through the city for a wide variety of folks. Bike lanes are comparable to an overpass, not a fountain. A fountain is an amenity, and while it would have been great it isn't comparable. Bike lanes save lives and facilitate movement, fountains add vibrancy.

Core transportation is not the purpose of every bike lane in the city. The River Valley has numerous lanes and paths whose primary purpose is recreational by design and there was/is a monetary element in constructing and maintaining them. It wouldn't be a surprise to learn that the recreational lanes get more use from cyclists than the transportation bike lane arteries do.

That being said, the primary question about the omission of a water feature (fountain) remains. Why and who decided to omit it from the park?

Connectivity to the park should not be a problem as the City reportedly may spend up to $170M on bicycle lanes by 2026. So $170M for bicycle lanes by 2026 but one fountain in a legacy park is too much for the City to handle. How and who allowed this to happen?
Bro. Don’t create a false dichotomy. This is like all the people that suddenly cared about the homeless when we started building bike lanes but said $0 about any other financial decision ever. 160mil for an overpass concern you at all? 1 bill for yellowhead?

And it’s 100mil for bike lanes. Not 170. Which was a big compromise from what we still ultimately need long term. Which totals to 2% of our capital spending. Pretty much equivalent to the user base of regular cyclists in our city. So it’s not extreme in any sense. Even 5-10% of capital spending could be justified as we still need to catch up for years of 0% spending

Bike lanes have added to the vibrancy of the urban environment in the city imo but so would a fountain at a much cheaper cost. Exactly how a city in excess of 1 million people can find $170M for bike lanes but cann't handle the cost of one fountain is preposterous. I'd agree that a fountain in a park in a remote part of the city would be wasting money but Warehouse Park is right downtown and a fountain would show case the park and the city. It doesn't necessarily need to be a fountain comparable to the ones found in the great parks of the world, but the park will be around for generations to come, so there should be something.
I'm never sure what construction that $170M or $100M covers. A lot of the bike lanes are constructed as part of neighbourhood renewal. Does it cover the cost of asphalt and gravel? That would be part of the road rehab already, even the concrete curb and gutter would be a part of road rehab. For those bike lanes of residential streets, the only additional infrastructure is the concrete barrier curb between road and bike lane plus some signs. I could read up on it but not that interested.

Connectivity to the park should not be a problem as the City reportedly may spend up to $170M on bicycle lanes by 2026. So $170M for bicycle lanes by 2026 but one fountain in a legacy park is too much for the City to handle. How and who allowed this to happen?
That does sound like a big number until you put it in context and realize it's actually a minuscule slice of our transportation spending and is well short of the cost of the 23 Avenue Interchange, and how this city is full of neighbourhoods that don't pay enough in taxes to cover their servicing and infrastructure.

Last edited:
I'm never sure what construction that $170M or $100M covers. A lot of the bike lanes are constructed as part of neighbourhood renewal. Does it cover the cost of asphalt and gravel? That would be part of the road rehab already, even the concrete curb and gutter would be a part of road rehab. For those bike lanes of residential streets, the only additional infrastructure is the concrete barrier curb between road and bike lane plus some signs. I could read up on it but not that interested.
When the city cited the cost of the downtown bike network at over $11 million while it was being built, they included the cost of all of the traffic lights that needed to be replaced anyways at a cost of ~$250,000 per intersection. I'm expecting we will find many, many more cases where money which would have been spent anyways for car infrastructure gets lumped into bike infrastructure costs.

Last edited:
While I would love a water feature in said park comparable at least to the one in Paul Kane Park, you can get admittedly get quite a bit of bike lane for the cost of a decent sized water feature, and the bike lanes don't really suck up as much maintenance. I LOVE the water feature at Paul Kane Park, but it seems very labour-intensive what with pumps to maintain, the whole process of mothballing it for the winter, and getting it started back up in the spring (which involves replacing all of the cat tails and such). I mean even putting a pond in your yard is an expensive undertaking, a whole bunch of work, and stuff goes wrong with them all of the time, and troubleshooting leaks with them is anything but fun.

So while I can make a lot of arguments for such a water feature, "it's cheaper than bike lanes" DEFINITELY isn't one of them. I mean you can say, "OH IT'S CHEAPER THAN A MAJOR BUILD OUT OF THE BIKE LANE NETWORK SPANNING THE ENTIRE CITY OVER SEVERAL YEARS", but that's a bit silly.

Back