News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For those of you that have been to New York.

Warehouse park will be as long as Bryant Park, and slightly narrower. When you factor in the shared streets that will be made, they're approximately the same size.

Utility contractor has now demob’d off site. Reminder: We’re a full 1/3 through earthworks season and the City has yet to even truly break ground.

I’m sure there are ancient utilities that were way off on-file drawings that have caused delays but hard not to think some work could be done concurrently here, no?

IMG_6341.jpeg

Yup, timing of the RFP, tender award and mob is literally losing half a construction season.

The page was updated with a progress update, new renderings, and a video (linked below):

Project update - June 2024​

Construction on the Warehouse Park Project is set to begin in late June. As part of the project, a portion of 107 Street will be permanently closed to traffic. Pedestrian and vehicle access will be maintained on 106 Street during this first year of construction.

Pedestrian, vehicle and active transportation traffic are encouraged to use 106 Street as an alternate route.

Year 1 of construction will include demolition and removal of existing infrastructure, installing the necessary utility servicing and advancing work on the pavilion.

Construction on the Warehouse Park Project is planned to take 2 years. The park is scheduled to open to the public by the end of 2025.

There does seem to be a a fair amount of active spaces and open places that can be used for events, but at the same time it seems like any time they weren't sure what to do with an area they just placed lot of seating and benches that will likely stay largely unused. It would have been nice to set aside some additional space for some smaller active uses like a quarter size soccer pitch, grass volleyball, or a pickleball court.

There does seem to be a a fair amount of active spaces and open places that can be used for events, but at the same time it seems like any time they weren't sure what to do with an area they just placed lot of seating and benches that will likely stay largely unused. It would have been nice to set aside some additional space for some smaller active uses like a quarter size soccer pitch, grass volleyball, or a pickleball court.
I was at Paul Kane park this morning, which was full of seating that was all in use. The issue isn't seating, it's the current lack of density in the area.

I completely agree on the soccer pitch and volleyball idea though. A place for residents to throw a football or kick a soccer ball would be great.

Overall, I like the park better than I thought I would. I don't really like admins opposition to adding a cafe. Maybe they'll come around on the food truck thing.

^I believe they did, which is too bad given the white noise it can bring.

I really wish the basketball area had at least two nets lined up to that you could theoretically play a proper game. Imagine an annual stinger charity game there.

Here's hoping this can host some 3on3 basketball with the park as the fan area and hops on 106 and 107sts.

The page was updated with a progress update, new renderings, and a video (linked below):

Project update - June 2024​

Construction on the Warehouse Park Project is set to begin in late June. As part of the project, a portion of 107 Street will be permanently closed to traffic. Pedestrian and vehicle access will be maintained on 106 Street during this first year of construction.

Pedestrian, vehicle and active transportation traffic are encouraged to use 106 Street as an alternate route.

Year 1 of construction will include demolition and removal of existing infrastructure, installing the necessary utility servicing and advancing work on the pavilion.

Construction on the Warehouse Park Project is planned to take 2 years. The park is scheduled to open to the public by the end of 2025.

The Warehouse Park looks mostly good.
Unfortunately, not including a water fountain in this park is yet another missed opportunity for this city, one that already has a long line of them.

Our new entrance slogan should be changed to "Edmonton: The City of Missed Opportunities"

Looks nice. But the question is, will it stay nice, once it's built? The city has a terrible track record when it comes to general and landscape maintenance. Just terrible. So many dollars spent, only to see so many landscaped areas turn into ugly pieces of crap, while city halls chases the next big thing.

And the reality is, if the city allows the park turn into a vulnerable hang out, then all those pretty images of families, etc in the video would be just a fantasy...

This is a nice little soccer pitch in Brussels next to an outdoor workout park. Something like this would be a nice addition somewhere downtown along with a few modifiable pickleball courts perhaps with another activity.

Screenshot_20240624_003939_Gallery.jpg

Back