News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I asked about the fountain removal and this is the response I got from Anne Stevenson's office:
This is Robbie from the office of Anne Stevenson. I heard back from the Warehouse Park team. I can confirm that the fountain was removed. The reason for it was a lack of space in the Pavillion for the required mechanical infrastructure. The Pavillion was hotly contested real estate, with space needed by Park Operations for their equipment, security and maintenance equipment, and the Downtown Community League for their programming. Including the fountain mechanical infrastructure would have required a substantial expansion of the Pavillion with the associated cost and design changes. There are also water features planned for Alex Decoteau, Beaver Hills Park, with the freshly renovated Legislature reflecting pools and existing water feature at Churchill Square, so the team considered there to be adequate water features for the Downtown Public Places Plan, and Breathe: Edmonton’s Green Network Strategy.

The fountain being removed is a bit disappointing but I'm honestly more excited about the possibility of a skating rink here, especially that the Victoria Park one closes so early on the weekdays.
Disagree.

City Hall, Leg, Vic all serve the area well.

Yes more self serving political mumbo jumbo from our current civic administration, which wouldn't know a good idea if it smacked them and even if they did wouldn't be able to implement it.

So exactly how many months a year will this ice rink operate? I guess not any time from May to October when a lot of people will be out wanting to enjoy the park.

In a funny way, fountains and skating rinks are similar with this park. In the sense that there are lots of other nearby ones. So do we need another?

At the same time, those are proven to be successful in attracting good crowds to our parks. So not having them feels like a miss.

I think the most obvious thing would be having a unique alternative. A massive playground that’s worth a trip DT for families, or super cool courts for basketball/Pickleball/tennis would have done that. More frustrated by the lacklustre versions of those than the lost fountain.

The function of water features isn't just aesthetics, it has to do with creating white noise to drown out city noise and make a park more pleasant and inviting.

They expropriated millions of dollars worth of land for a half measure and a straight up lie (put a bloody vault in for crying out loud; or reconsider they design if it's that cramped for a space 4 football fields in area).

I'm not surprised though, cheap, poorly planned greenspaces is the most Edmonton thing this city can do.

Back