News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is true, however an unpaved rink can become a dog arena in the summer months, or if it's paved it could be used for either Basketball or Ball Hockey. If it's just a rink over grass and doesn't have any boards, then it just becomes a grassy field for picnics. Whereas a not operating fountain is just a not operating fountain.

A fountain is just a fountain, whereas a sports facility can (and probably should) be multi-purpose and can be used for different activities depending on the season.
Yes, it can be multi purpose, but a fountain does not have to be huge and take up as much space as an ice rink. Probably a rink over grass without cooling would not do well on those days in winter when it warms up.

We do have a surprisingly variable climate. If you want to extend the season adequately for the outdoor rink you have to do it properly. I really doubt the city would do a rink over grass here.

So is there universal agreement at this stage that the Warehouse park is going to end up being half assed?
No. I think it's going to be very nice and well used.

I would prefer water features, but I'm not devastated. I'm actually more concerned about how the playstructure will turn out. I want something head turning like Vancouver's Rainbow Park playground area.

I believe we should be pressuring admin to allow for summer foodtruck/ice cream truck permits in the park. I think the lack of a CRU is a bigger miss than the fountain.

So is there universal agreement at this stage that the Warehouse park is going to end up being half assed?
Very far from it. I'm very excited for this park and what it includes. The water feature is a miss in my mind but with public funding you have to sometimes make choices. I think the team here did the best they could and it's 95% there. Most of this park is a decade's effort and once-in-a -generation opportunity at getting more greenspace Downtown for residents to enjoy and supporting surrounding development.

As a downtown resident who is paying for the Warehouse Park via CRL, I`m willing to pay extra for a water fountain at the park. I`m serious about that.
I really hope we do not have to start to pass the hat around to it. If so, then residents should be able to deduct their donations from the amount the pay to the CRL.

I would also suggest a plaque for the fountain saying Paid for by nearby residents because the city didn't feel it was worthwhile.

From a strictly design POV: a little bit half assed

From every other POV: Nope. It'd be halfassed if they decided to keep 107 open and kept one of the parking lots open. The fact this is being built at all is such a major win for downtown the design of the park almost doesn't matter. It could be a flat empty grass field with some trees and it'd still be an overwhelmingly amazing improvement to the area over what is currently there.

Not to overhype the impact but this will end up being reminiscent of looking back at images of the ICE District before it was built.

I agree with the previous motions, I think it will be successful. I 1000% mourn the absence of the water feature, but they kept all the other areas, I think the big Instagram moment is gonna be the "Aurora Borealis" ring with the swings.
As a downtown resident who is paying for the Warehouse Park via CRL, I`m willing to pay extra for a water fountain at the park. I`m serious about that.
@Gronk! count me in! I really think that even if they didn't want the water feature in the Pavilion, they should've considered it for the art installation instead of those metal clouds or whatever they're planning. Take 'The Convergence' in Victoria Promenade, it's listed as part of the Edmonton Arts Council—imagine something like that at Warehouse Park! Also, I'm curious about the mechanics of that fountain. There doesn't seem to be a mechanical room nearby. Seems like it could've been a great fit for the park.

From a strictly design POV: a little bit half assed

From every other POV: Nope. It'd be halfassed if they decided to keep 107 open and kept one of the parking lots open. The fact this is being built at all is such a major win for downtown the design of the park almost doesn't matter. It could be a flat empty grass field with some trees and it'd still be an overwhelmingly amazing improvement to the area over what is currently there.

Not to overhype the impact but this will end up being reminiscent of looking back at images of the ICE District before it was built.
If I understand correctly the two parking lots west of BP along Jasper Ave will remain. It would have been nicer if at least the one to the west was included in the park, but I suppose we can't have everything.

Not quite the ICE District yet so I feel the hype is premature, but if this spurs development of several over 30 storey buildings to the north and east, it may eventually get there.

Those lots are owned by a guy in California who gives two shits about Edmonton and doing anything with them; I've spoken with him directly and he was not particularly friendly or interested in listening to ideas or realistic expectations.

... hold the phone, Architech is from California...

;)

Those lots are owned by a guy in California who gives two shits about Edmonton and doing anything with them; I've spoken with him directly and he was not particularly friendly or interested in listening to ideas or realistic expectations.

;)

I guess ball is in your court, @archited

Can you make something happen?

First, it is Archited not Architech (you are trying to make me sound like some kind of engineer or worse... an urban planner🤢). Give me the guy's contact info and I will have him re-schooled and if that doesn't work I will plop a colony of army ants next to his abode and if that doesn't work I will set up a bank of loudspeakers next door to his living quarters and blare 'O Canada' from dawn 'til dusk and if that doesn't work I will have a woman with a nasally, annoying voice phone him every ten minutes saying nothing more than "eh" and then hanging up and if that doesn't work then I will spray crazy glue on his front sidewalk and if that doesn't work I will send him a personalized invitation to visit DT at Mar-a-Lago and if that doesn't work I will send him a box of fine chocolates injected with a strong laxative and then we will see what he gives two shits about.

Walked by the leg grounds after work.

I do like the water feature, but of all the people who were there, nobody was by the fountain. Contrast that with the wading pool beside - people in the water and sitting around it. Which of these two features is bringing people to this space - the fountain or the wading pool?

That's why I really like the city hall wading pool. It's got the elements of a water feature that's nice to look at and you get the white noise of the fountain, but it's also functional for kids to play in.

20240712_182934.jpg
20240712_182942.jpg
20240712_183106.jpg

Last edited:
If I understand correctly the two parking lots west of BP along Jasper Ave will remain. It would have been nicer if at least the one to the west was included in the park, but I suppose we can't have everything.

Not quite the ICE District yet so I feel the hype is premature, but if this spurs development of several over 30 storey buildings to the north and east, it may eventually get there.
you would have thought a connection to a fully functioning LRT/subway station would have been a major attraction...

Back