8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

gentlepuppies

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just bought a condo without really checking out the appliances (integrated kitchen yay), but for the washer/dryer it turns out I got the loser combo on the left. I had assumed all new condos would come standard with machines that have windows! What's the price difference between the two? I'm thinking of an upgrade!

05fzh1S.jpg

Front-loading stacked W/D combos are definitely not standard even for new condos. Are you thinking of selling the existing and buying a new set? Personally, since it's still a new system, I'd opt to just use it until it needs to be replaced.

I'm guessing the price differential would depend on brand, features and quality, so a bit of time on the Hudson's Bay, Sears, Rona, Home Depot, etc. websites would probably give you a good sense.

Keep in mind that one of the advantages of a front loading washer is that it uses less water, detergent and hydro. If what you're paying for water and hydro through your condo fees is not tied to usage, then you're not going to get any bang for your buck from the front loader (other than the environmental satisfaction of using less of the earth's resources).

Also, the door a front-loading washer needs to be kept somewhat ajar when not in use in order to dry out properly and avoid mould and odours. Depending on the space configuration in your condo, would this be a problem (i.e. would it prevent you from shutting the door on the laundry closet?) - also something to keep in mind if you have curious pets. Also, you might need to buy a front loader with a reversible door hinge (a lot of models are only available left hinged) - in a condo with tight space, a left hinge might not work very well with your layout.

Several years ago I moved from a condo that had the older style and I moved into my new place that had the front loaders. I didn't like them. They are supposedly more efficient - that's probably true. But they took smaller loads so I had to wash more often. I decided pretty quickly to sell them and buy the older style instead. Unfortunately my washer/dryer cubby was too narrow by just a few cm to accommodate one.

Keep in mind too that if you are going to use your laundry room for storing odds and ends you will lose storage space with a front loading machine.

My condo has the front loaders. When I moved in, there was a model from the mid 2000s with the most pungent smell of mould. Threw that out and replaced it with this - funny part is the cost on sale was cheaper than those fancy micro laundry sets you see in condos.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,405
^^My parents house has the same. They look so pretty! I'm surprised that the developers won't pay that tiny bit more for something that doesn't look like it belongs in a 60's apartment complex?

In my view front load washers are the biggest consumer scam going - very high maintenance to prevent mold/midlew - you have to wipe excess water out every single time you use them; leave the door open to air dry and empty dispenser (it gathers water too) and do a regular cleaning with a cleaning product and that still doesn't guarantee you won't have mildew/mold problems. My previous washer was close to 20 years old when it died, I replaced it with a front load barely 6 years ago and had to replace it again this month because of mold/mildew issues. I say stick with what you've got until it wears out and then replace it.

I just bought a condo without really checking out the appliances (integrated kitchen yay), but for the washer/dryer it turns out I got the loser combo on the left. I had assumed all new condos would come standard with machines that have windows! What's the price difference between the two? I'm thinking of an upgrade!

05fzh1S.jpg

We got the exact same set when the machine we had at Luna clunked out! Loved it!
That's awesome that they had a laundry closet wide enough for this beast. It's absolutely huge and I need a stool to see the dryer controls if I'm trying to apply an unfamiliar setting.

Regarding front loads - they have been de rigueur standard in Europe since washing machines were invented. Mold problems occur only if you haven't been taking proper care of the machine. A bimonthly cleaning (with Afresh), leaving the door slightly ajar (in my case it's magnetic so I just lightly close it) and opening the dispenser to let it air out is all you need to do.

My parents have had a front loader for almost 20 years now, and it smells like fabric softener (hallelujah)

Yeah, I was also going to say that we haven't had any of the problems with our frontloader that marsh had with his.

Back