News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

wasn't the 10 million allocated towards the Leslie Street improvements put in this summer?

now that construction has started, the studio site is far bigger than I had imagined

CAN JAMES CORNER BUILD A BEAUTIFUL WATERFRONT?
Another year, another set of great expectations. Can we solve the waterfront (finally)? Can we make the urban vote count in the provincial elections? Can we embrace arts mega-festival with outsize ambitions? Here are five movers and shakers who will leave a footprint - hopefully a good one - on the city in 2007

ALEX BOZIKOVIC

Concrete mixing and cross-country skiing: It's a strange recipe for an urban neighbourhood, but that's what the near future of the eastern waterfront is going to look like. And if James Corner has his way, it just might evolve Toronto into a city that lives on the water rather than ignoring it.

The New York-based landscape architect is overseeing the creation of the ambitious 965-acre Lake Ontario Park. Breaking ground this year, it will tie 37 kilometres of shoreline land, from Cherry Beach to Ashbridges Bay (including the Leslie Street Spit), into a new public area with room for all sorts of recreational and conservational uses.

The site "is all edge," Mr. Corner says. "It's remarkably diverse. And it's got a kind of wildness, which is rare so close to a metropolitan centre. So the art in the design is to make something of all this edge, all this diversity."

Mr. Corner's firm, Field Operations, is known for reworking post-industrial, unpicturesque landscapes. Most prominently, he has been gradually remaking the massive Fresh Kills landfill on New York's Staten Island into a verdant park with wind turbines and, eventually, museums.
Print Edition - Section Front

Section M Front Enlarge Image
More Arts Stories

* BOOKS OF THE YEAR
* Which CBC chairman was felled by his potty mouth?
* Like a kid in a candy store Lock
* Self love, Self loathe
* BOOKS IN BRIEF
* Staying behind the screen
* Go to the Arts section

The Globe and Mail

"One of the great strengths of [Mr. Corner's] work is that if a site has an industrial history, continuing industrial uses and other development pressures, he doesn't see those as contradictory," says Professor Charles Waldheim, director of the landscape architecture program at the University of Toronto. "Field Operations sees those as a menu within which the project can occur."

Indeed, Mr. Corner is focused on maintaining a balance between environmental preservation, recreation and urban character for Lake Ontario Park. "The idea is to create something spectacular that capitalizes on the attributes the site already has: its bigness, its exposure to the weather, this sort of wild thematic," Mr. Corner explains.

He promises to integrate spaces for recreation -- swimming, boating, running, cycling, cross-country skiing, soccer -- with nature space and even restaurants, tied together by a carefully plotted series of pathways.

It's an ambitious vision, and the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation hopes that the park will become a centre for the city, like Vancouver's Stanley Park. Mr. Corner believes the impact will be tremendous. "Today, it's not only hard to get to the waterfront, but your experience of it is really fragmented. And this will create a kilometres-long continuous waterfront. It's a total transformation of the image of the city as now a lakefront Canadian city."

Star: Park along shoreline could be 'spectacular' (Hume)

Second forum on Lake Ontario Park

The Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation is inviting the public to a second public forum on Lake Ontario Park.

The gathering takes place Wednesday, Jan. 17 with an open house from 6 to 7 p.m. followed by a presentation and facilitated discussion from 7 to 9 p.m.

The meeting takes place in the ballroom of the Radisson Admiral Hotel, 249 Queens Quay West.

The open house portion will include an update on the status of the Port Lands Transitional Sports Fields, a $5 million development of two regulation-sized sports fields on a site bounded by Cherry Street, Regatta Road and Unwin Avenue (land designated for the future Lake Ontario Park).

The fields would serve the public for 10 to 15 years as construction gets underway for Lake Ontario Park, one of the city's newest green spaces that encompasses several hundred acres of east end land including Tommy Thompson Park, Ashbridges' Bay and the R.C. Harris Treatment Plant.

The first public forum on the project was held last June.

For more information call Andrea Kelemen at 416-214-1344, ext. 248 or email akelemen@towaterfront.ca

They're spending 10 million on a new experimental environmentally sustainable park building technique called "do nothing". With the aid of extensive community consultation and international experts picked through a rigorous competition process hired on 7-figure contracts they are carefully re-landscaping the shoreline using the forces of nature that already exist. As we speak the wind, water and vegetation is working round the clock, but I just think we could be moving so much faster if those forces weren't unionized.

Waterfront: Lake Ontario Park (Foreign Office Architects)

From the Star, by Hume:

Lakefront plans get back to nature
Architects’ plans call for Lake Ontario Park, occupying almost 375 hectares, to be a transition between city bustle and nature’s refuge.

Pathways, sandbar and urban wildland all part of master plan `to redefine image of Toronto'
January 18, 2007
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs

Landscape architect James Corner has no doubt about what Lake Ontario Park will do for this city.

"It has the capacity to redefine the image of Toronto as a lakeside metropolis," he declared yesterday.

"It will change the way people view the city."

In town to attend a public meeting about the park, Corner and his colleagues from Field Operations, a leading New York landscape architecture practice, have high hopes for the success of the project, which must knit together a wide range of uses and conditions.

The vast 374-hectare facility will extend along the shoreline from the Eastern Gap to the R.C. Harris Filtration Plant to the tip of the Leslie St. Spit.

There will be four big moves: The first is a series of three "transects" – pathways and boardwalks that connect major elements of the site, including Ashbridges Bay, the spit and the North Beach.

Corner is also planning "400 outposts," points of interest such as natural features, lighthouses, restaurants, beaches, picnic areas and places to get in and out of the water.

More than half of these outposts already exist; others will be built.

The third element will be a huge 140-acre "dunescape," a sandbar that extends south from Unwin Ave. to the lake, Cherry Beach to Ashbridges Bay.

It will have areas for sports activities and beaches as well as a ferry dock for lake cruises.

The fourth big move is the restoration of Ashbridges Bay to a wetland.

Corner describes it as a series of "wetland terraces" that can become a wildlife refuge and water purifier.

Though the spit was never intended to become a natural habitat, it has established itself as a home for a variety of species, everything from gulls to coyotes.

"It is being colonized by nature," said landscape architect Ellen Neises.

"The best thing we can do is preserve it and allow it to grow."

"The biggest thing about Lake Ontario Park," Corner explained, "will be the juxtaposition between the wilds and the bustle of the city.

"Secondly, there's the scale of the park. It's just so big.

"If you include the water, it's 675 hectares. Not many cities have this kind of space on their waterfront. It has 37 kilometres of edge. That's pretty impressive."

According to Neises, "It's one of the best sites we've ever worked on.

"It's special and unique and offers really different possibilities."

Field Operations won the commission last year in a competition sponsored by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp.

The final scheme won't be ready until next spring; yesterday the public saw the "concept plan."

The idea is that various interest groups – birders, boaters, cyclists, dog walkers and Friends of the Leslie St. Spit – will respond to the proposal with their own. Corner and Neises will then return to New York to refine their design.

One more public session will be held before the master plan is presented.

By the time waterfront redevelopment is complete, 100,000 people will be living on land that's now either empty or underused. That could take 20 even 30 years, experts say, but the process has started.

Construction of the park is expected to begin late next year.

"It seems every city's trying to do waterfront parks," Corner noted. "But this is going to be something very different."

Can't wait to see the materials posted on TWRC...

AoD

Re: Star: Lakefront Plans Get Back to Nature (Lake Ontario P

Presentation from TWRC (26MB)

Comments to follow...

AoD

wow I'm really impressed..
just makes you feel what potential our waterfront and our city has!! Too bad the portlands will take such a long time to develop!

p.s I hate the filtration plant's smoke stacks! yuk

wow it's actually quite impressive, nice!

i like how they thought a little about the winter use: the cross-country skiing. i wonder whether the new protected kayaking/canoeing course can freeze over as a skating course in the winter.

weird how they mention kayaing and canoeing but not rowing. there are 2 rowing clubs down there and Hanlan rows right in the concept plan area. i wonder how it's gonna work and i don't understand where Hanlan is going to go when they construct this.. UofT varsity trains there too.

looks like tommy thompson is gonna be a lto more accessible... i wonder wut they're gonna do with that part where all the trees are dead and birds make their dump there (i think)... it stinks there so much..

i wonder when they're gonna develop north of the park with nice residential or whatever

There's one diagram that shows the years the various sections of the spit were created. Nothing shown for the last decade or so. Are they not dumping fill down there anymore?

Very nice. Hope to see it get under way soon.

I biked out to the lighthouse quite a few times this summer. Each time marvelled at the potential the Spit had as a proper park. At the same time I really appreciated the refuge feel as opposed to the dog convention the Beaches have turned into lately.

I thought the plan is really neat - particularly in how they referenced the original shoreline with the sandbar. I am surprised by the amount of earthwork proposed near Ashridges Bay, with the artificial channel and lakefilling...

re: Rowing

I think they are relocating the rowing club to the base of the Yacht Club peninsula.

AoD

The walkway along Ashbridge's bay is truly genious. Instead of the tedious route around the plant, you'll stay along the waterfront in what looks like an innovative design.

Now, for it all to be re-coopted by those Promise events, DJ's et al. (Hey, a few days after the 40th of San Fran's Human Be-In, it's stuff to consider...)

Parc Downsview Park

There are a lot of similarities between the underlying thinking that created the Parc Downsview Park and this proposal.

Back