News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So, as long as it is big and shiny, it doesn't matter what it costs and that it couldn't possibly be built in a less accessible location. You should realize that very few people, if any, will be living in this area and admiring the Taj Mahal of pucks for decades.

I never said I wanted it here. Its very clear that this is the wrong place for it. Sadly the point was made that it 'needs' to be here. So it must follow the design standards of the waterfront. No exceptions.

The first cheap ice rink was pretty much a Wal-Mart... a building with fields of parking. How does that make the waterfront better?

So, as long as it is big and shiny, it doesn't matter what it costs and that it couldn't possibly be built in a less accessible location. You should realize that very few people, if any, will be living in this area and admiring the Taj Mahal of pucks for decades.

And it will still be there, beautiful as ever, when people do start moving in. And, unlike the original proposal, it won't have to be rebuilt into something nicer when that day comes.

And it will still be there, beautiful as ever, when people do start moving in. And, unlike the original proposal, it won't have to be rebuilt into something nicer when that day comes.

Thanks for verification that "beautiful" and Nice" are the attributes you value over all others such as function, cost, location etc:

He never said that he valued that over all others. He just simply used those words to describe it. This building will do both. It will function and have beauty. And it won't have to be bulldozed over to build a condo later on, as it will not be 4 flat rinks in a sea of parking. I think it should be built. $88 million is the price you pay for good design. So be it.

Thanks for verification that "beautiful" and Nice" are the attributes you value over all others such as function, cost, location etc:

"beautiful", "nice"
115458471_761ea761bd.jpg

"function", "cost", "location", etc
248px-Metro_Hall.jpg

"beautiful", "nice"
115458471_761ea761bd.jpg

"function", "cost", "location", etc
248px-Metro_Hall.jpg

That sums it up nicely. Pictures do speak a thousand words. If they can't afford to build the stacked rinks, then they shouldn't build it on the waterfront. Put those rinks in the burbs and stick to the Portlands plan that this city spent millions to design. Why hire the best experts in urban planning and design, only to throw it out the window, when it's convenient? It makes no sense at all.

Quality costs money but in the end, most people agree it's worth it.

Last edited:
The city should develop to the highest standards now and in the future. It doesn't sound very compelling that in half a century the building might be replaced with something better. Without a solid foundation of great urban design and architecture, the waterfront will be dull and may stagnate.

What I do not understand is why 4 skating rinks need to be built in the same spot. Why not build one rink in the Port-lands another out in Scarborough, one up in North York and another out in Etobicoke?

Because there is a lack of ice in this area, and not in those areas you mention. At least that's what I recall them saying when this all began.

You also have to think how much of a landmark this will be. I can bet they will sell the naming rights asap.

and lets remember what was going to be here..

"440 above-ground parking spaces and four arenas all at ground level."

Last edited:
What I do not understand is why 4 skating rinks need to be built in the same spot. Why not build one rink in the Port-lands another out in Scarborough, one up in North York and another out in Etobicoke?
That makes way too much sense my friend, those in charge don't particularly care where the need is located they just want to build a big expensive shiny thing.

Because there is a lack of ice in this area, and not in those areas you mention. At least that's what I recall them saying when this all began.

The current lack of ice in the area is as it should be because there are no people in the area either, nor will there be for a very long time, if ever.

That makes way too much sense my friend, those in charge don't particularly care where the need is located they just want to build a big expensive shiny thing.

Uh what? This stacked plan is in direct response to the cheap, typical, parking-laden arena that they were planning to build. And now due to complaints, they've come up with an alternative that keeps the arena here, but takes up less space and is more urban. I think they came up with the right solution. Now it's up to the city to decide whether they REALLY want an arena here and be forced to spend a lot of money, or spend less and put it elsewhere.

If that's what everyone does at City Hall... I want to work there. ;)

True, rinks are needed all over the City, however it is more expensive to build and operate four one-rink facilities than one four-rink facility. Another reason is the ability to host tournaments. With four rinks tournament organizers can attract more teams from further distances and have larger tournaments because there are four times as many rinks. A tournament would be really difficult to organize and run if it was held at multiple locations.

The ability to host Tournaments at this building as a justification for it's costruction is not a slam dunk, far from it. Just building it and waiting for them to come is not an option. There are already several 4 (or more) pad facilities in Toronto all of which promote their own Tournaments or partner with existing Minor Hockey Clubs to run their events. The field is saturated now.

Back