News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'll be happy if he kills the whole thing -- I'll be outraged if he instead builds a sprawling suburbaplex on a prime waterfront site right as the lakefront is being rejuvenated.

Tell that to the children and sports league that can't find enough ice time. Tell that to Waterfront Toronto and Design excellence for the award winning Lower Donlands Plan. Tell that to the future of the Waterfront, the future of our City.

I think our City (and its children) will survive not having the world's only quadruple-stacked glass-walled hockey arena.

Why? Because he thinks spending almost 100 million dollars on a sports complex that we probably don't need at a time when the city is sinking into a financial blackhole is insane? Is this why you think he's a disgrace?

The "we don't need this" kind of thinking has prevented many great ideas from coming to fruition. We don't need HTO park or sugar beach. We didn't need to spruce up Cherry Beach or Dundas Square, AGO, ROM, Music Garden, and so on. None of these projects were required. Under someone who thinks like Ford, many of them probably wouldn't have proceeded. I can't imagine Toronto without them. Anything that enhances a city for it's citizens is worth it in the long run. The trouble is that some people think 300 acres of big box retail, is an enhancement, others think well designed, multi storey hockey arenas are.

Tell that to the children and sports league that can't find enough ice time. Tell that to Waterfront Toronto and Design excellence for the award winning Lower Donlands Plan. Tell that to the future of the Waterfront, the future of our City.

Tell that to the tax payers who have to pay this at a time when the city is financially bankrupt according to some. Fiscal responsibility means setting priorities with spending.

Sure it would a nice to build a structure with multiple ice rinks but this city has some serious financial problems but still we have people insisting that we just continue to spend ourselves into oblivion. This is hardly the time to spend untold millions on recreational projects when council has to keep finding ways of raising taxes or creating new taxes just to keep pace with paying for other services.

This is part of the problem. We have mindsets that say spend, spend, spend regardless and worry later. Later always comes... This city cannot keep spending like this.

Last edited:
It's simple -- the waterfront shouldn't have any hockey rink complex, but if it does, it should fit with the rest of the waterfront.

tkip:

Tell that to the tax payers who have to pay this at a time when the city is financially bankrupt according to some

How many times do I have to rebut you that the city isn't bankrupt. Stop quoting what other people think and actually say that's what you believe in, because you certainly sounds like you do by making the same point over and over and over again.

And yes, pay attention to what's being passed - it's approval in principle, provided that the additional money can be found to build it - no money, no building. How's that not fiscally responsible?

AoD

I think our City (and its children) will survive not having the world's only quadruple-stacked glass-walled hockey arena.

I think the city (and its children) will survive by having the world's ugliest (I bet it would be) sprawling hockey rink somewhere else.

Last edited:
tkip:

How many times do I have to rebut you that the city isn't bankrupt. Stop quoting what other people think and actually say that's what you believe in, because you certainly sounds like you do by making the same point over and over and over again.

And yes, pay attention to what's being passed - it's approval in principle, provided that the additional money can be found to build it - no money, no building. How's that not fiscally responsible?

AoD

Hear hear

I think the city (and its children) will survive by having the world's ugliest (I bet it would be) sprawling hockey rink somewhere else.

Lest we forget

mccentreoutside700.jpg

So I'm guessing that this is going to be as dead as the Island Bridge. Both Smitherman and Ford oppose it and most of the candidates for councillor in my ward (19) -- even the progressive Karen Sun want to kill it.

It's too bad. Maybe private funding will save it.

It is much easier for all levels of government to let this fade away and blame it on deadlines, saving themselves the money in the process.

I'd be happy if the whole rink idea went away, as this is an idiotic place to put one.

Back