News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

From the above:

1615225466423.png

1615225885983.png

1615225911484.png

Interestingly, the item that most caught my attention wasn't included in the documents @Northern Light posted, but was in a similar graphic that @DSC posted, namely the "Emerging/Future" yellow dot and accompanying blue line, enticingly labeled "Inner Harbour Loop (Proposed enhanced Pedestrian Access)."

Some sort of permanent pedestrian connection (draw/swing bridge?) from the Portlands to the Islands has long been, to me, one of the real linchpins of unlocking the Islands and making them more accessible, and it also would seem to dovetail nicely with the ongoing development of the Portlands. Seems like WT might be moving in that direction, which would be really swell.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 1.27.06 PM.png

Interestingly, the item that most caught my attention wasn't included in the documents @Northern Light posted, but was in a similar graphic that @DSC posted, namely the "Emerging/Future" yellow dot and accompanying blue line, enticingly labeled "Inner Harbour Loop (Proposed enhanced Pedestrian Access)."

Some sort of permanent pedestrian connection (draw/swing bridge?) from the Portlands to the Islands has long been, to me, one of the real linchpins of unlocking the Islands and making them more accessible, and it also would seem to dovetail nicely with the ongoing development of the Portlands. Seems like WT might be moving in that direction, which would be really swell.

View attachment 304304

No sense in me duplicating @DSC 's fine work! LOL

In the above, I would draw your attention to the west end of that loop which shows pedestrian access skirting the airport lands; and presumably connecting to the existing tunnel to the island airport.

In the above, I would draw your attention to the west end of that loop which shows pedestrian access skirting the airport lands; and presumably connecting to the existing tunnel to the island airport.

Yeah, I sort of assumed that one was more aspirational since I think digging a long tunnel under an active airport (or under anywhere for that matter) would be substantially more difficult and costly than figuring out a solution for the eastern gap. Plus, with the latter, you get to leverage the literal billions we're already spending on regeneration of that area, which is broadly the type of coordination that large public institutions of this sort like to affect.

Yeah, I sort of assumed that one was more aspirational since I think digging a long tunnel under an active airport (or under anywhere for that matter) would be substantially more difficult and costly than figuring out a solution for the eastern gap. Plus, with the latter, you get to leverage the literal billions we're already spending on regeneration of that area, which is broadly the type of coordination that large public institutions of this sort like to affect.

I, of course, really hope for removal of the airport.

But their choice of line-drawing suggests skirting the edge.

Assuming the airport had to be secured by a fence; and or they building a floating boardwalk a few metres offshore; you're looking at 1.8km of isolated trail.

That strikes me as dubious.

But still interesting they saw fit to draw it in.

Last edited:
I, of course, really hope for removal of the airport.

But there choice of line-drawing suggests skirting the edge.

Assuming the airport had to be secured by a fence; and or they building a floating boardwalk a few metres offshore; you're looking at 1.8km of isolated trail.

That strikes me as dubious.

But still interesting they saw fit to draw it in.
Like many of us at UT who are always proposing new streetcar links, they probably liked the idea of everything all being linked up and one day it MAY be. Our grandchildren will love it!

Back