News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 203 72.5%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.7%

• Total voters
Holyday also successfully motioned to spend city resources on baking in consideration of impacts of motor vehicle time when planning the ROW, which of course passed with support from our auto-obsessed mayor.

And then went on to vote against the overall waterfront transit plan despite getting some of his stupid amendments passed.

Holyday truly delusional. It astounds me that his father was very knowledgeable in general about various files in the city, but this man is just a complete 180 from him.

Not saying this is the case in this situation or accusing Holyday's dad of anything, but children of smart people can be really dumb simply because their parents are too busy doing smart things and never around to raise them.

Just because someone is smart don't expect their next of kin to be.

Holyday also successfully motioned to spend city resources on baking in consideration of impacts of motor vehicle time when planning the ROW, which of course passed with support from our auto-obsessed mayor.
At this point he's just another useless Councillor body who got voted in based on name recognition. And the sad part is, he'll get re-elected countless times between now and ~2030.

If anyone owns the rights above and below the tracks it is CP and CN. (See: http://ttrly.com/ )

Through TTR. Most of the USRC is actually Metrolinx owned after it was sold in 2000. But if you follow the discussions and the documents linked in the ORCA thread, it does not seem that ownership is not that simple. May be broken up horizontally, may be startified, may be overlain with easements and other weird instruments.

Through TTR. Most of the USRC is actually Metrolinx owned after it was sold in 2000. But if you follow the discussions and the documents linked in the ORCA thread, it does not seem that ownership is not that simple. May be broken up horizontally, may be startified, may be overlain with easements and other weird instruments.
Yes, as I said it is a very confused situation and it APPEARS that Metrolinx only owns 'surface rights' and, if the TTR website is to be believed, they do not own anything because the other rights were never transferred to them by CP and CN. A lawyer's dream!

Yes, as I said it is a very confused situation and it APPEARS that Metrolinx only owns 'surface rights' and, if the TTR website is to be believed, they do not own anything because the other rights were never transferred to them by CP and CN. A lawyer's dream!

The Feds should just get off their butts and expropriate the whole damn thing, instead of being binded by covenants from more than a hundred years ago.

AoD

In the GO-RER business case you can see some maps of the Waterfront LRT plans

B48B2lh.jpg

h1p28DW.jpg

I just realized something, the expanded Union Loop with the secondary exit will allow for easy access to the new GO Bus Terminal. No more crossing Bay St after getting off the subway. :eek: :)

you won't have to take a GO bus very often in a few years anyway with RER - I suspect the terminal will shift to mostly interregional bus operations (Greyhound & Coach Canada).

you won't have to take a GO bus very often in a few years anyway with RER - I suspect the terminal will shift to mostly interregional bus operations (Greyhound & Coach Canada).
Not if I take the Richmond Hill Line and Route 61 :(

So is the current bus terminal going to be repurposed for interregional or redeveloped?

Not if I take the Richmond Hill Line and Route 61 :(

So is the current bus terminal going to be repurposed for interregional or redeveloped?
You have not been paying attention. The current GO bus terminal is going and the CIBC Square is being built on that site plus the site south of the berm - where phase 1 is going up right now. See: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-cibc-square-243m-54s-hines-wilkinsoneyre.674/page-144

If you are talking about the bus station on Bay Street - that's up for a redevelopmenta nd has a thread, somewhere.

You have not been paying attention. The current GO bus terminal is going and the CIBC Square is being built on that site plus the site south of the berm - where phase 1 is going up right now. See: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-cibc-square-243m-54s-hines-wilkinsoneyre.674/page-144

If you are talking about the bus station on Bay Street - that's up for a redevelopmenta nd has a thread, somewhere.
Yeah, I understand where the new bus terminal is going/is in construction. And the new TTC Union Station entrance (if they go with an expanded loop and they should) will be connected to the GO bus terminal, or at least an on-street entrance.

With an active application and plans for 30 Bay now out it will be interesting to see if the City tries to have them provide space for an expansion of the Bay streetcar tunnel (as was done when the CIBC Centre was approved). Getting excavated expansion space for the tunnel from both of these projects would certainly make it less expensive for the City to deal with the rest of it.

IMO the whole waterfront transit LRT thing needs to be designed for two-car LRVs. And that includes Spadina. I just can't see it working any other way.

Another thing that I'm curious about stems from west waterfront service. Or lack thereof. Will this type of extended service disruption, service resumption, then service disruption be normal for lines like Eglinton, Finch, or Sheppard LRTs? Or is that just a legacy streetcar thing. Because it sucks. Lengthy shutdowns, then we finish, then we shut it down again. What the hell is that? Line 1 had extremely serious infrastructure issues between Eglinton and Sheppard with faulty tunnel liners. We worked at night, services disruptions amounted to a hiccup, the it was fixed. With this...service is practically gone for years at a time.

Last edited:

Back