News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
In November 2020 Council agreed:

"Waterfront Transit Network

City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning and the Executive Director, Transit Expansion Office to report back on the recommended schedule and funding requirements for the Union Station to Queens Quay Link and the East Bayfront Light Rail Transit section of the Waterfront Transit Network, including phasing options and an updated business case, as part of an update on Waterfront Transit Network priorities prior to the 2022 Budget process."

We are now in the 2022 budget time but no 'firm' update or options. Though, of course, there was a DRP presentation in October 2021, see above.

Only the rate-supported budgets are fully public at this stage.

If this were embedded in TTC it should be up at the next meeting; but there are other spots they can embed major transit projects.

Only the rate-supported budgets are fully public at this stage.

If this were embedded in TTC it should be up at the next meeting; but there are other spots they can embed major transit projects.
Call me pessimistic - and I am, when it comes to the city of Toronto - but they’ll find a way to stall this.

While the TTC capital budget continues to reference the Queen's Quay East LRT as 'unfunded'......its real estate plan may suggest otherwise.....

1639511417758.png

1639511326247.png

There are other indications that 2029 may be an in service target date.

That is merely 'speculative' on my part.

While the TTC capital budget continues to reference the Queen's Quay East LRT as 'unfunded'......its real estate plan may suggest otherwise.....

View attachment 369120

View attachment 369119

There are other indications that 2029 may be an in service target date.

That is merely 'speculative' on my part.
Its amazing how many projects we have that all hit the 2029-2031 time. This will be one massive timeframe for transit in this city.

Excuse my skepticism, but I’ll believe these two when they’re fully funded. These are city projects, And especially Waterfront West has been in a limbo state for years.

I would love to see all these happen however.

You are excused............

For now......

;)

I truly believe Ford is refusing to dump provincial capital on LRTs based on the good old Ford attitudes to these sorts of things... which is fine for the Eglinton East LRT I guess to let it sit in limbo until he's out of office, but the Waterfront East LRT needs money now. It's already well overdue.

The Waterfront West LRT is generally a poorly performing project if you ask me that would likely be better served by a future Ontario Line extension.

Back