News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

How should Toronto connect the East and West arms of the planned waterfront transit with downtown?

• Expand the existing Union loop

Votes: 199 73.2%
  • Build a Western terminus

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Route service along Queen's Quay with pedestrian/cycle/bus connection to Union

Votes: 28 10.3%
  • Connect using existing Queen's Quay/Union Loop and via King Street

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.9%

• Total voters
Drastic improvement!

There are so many slides, I can't manage to do a 2-3 post effort here, so I would encourage anyone interested to follow the link above, posted by Alvin. That said, I will put a few in here.

View attachment 381842

View attachment 381843

View attachment 381844

View attachment 381845

View attachment 381846
View attachment 381847

View attachment 381848

View attachment 381849
Oh yes, I'd love to be eaten by mosquitoes and die of malaria.

To add to @adHominem 's observation:

1645802618698.png

I would then add, the heavy presence of mosquitoes isn't overly likely in a small urban marsh, but can be managed for by design.

This includes managing water depth and temperature to make breeding unlikely, and also incorporating the correct species of plants and environment to
attract mosquito predators such as dragon flies.

Last edited:
The City is fairly proactive with dealing with mosquitoes and has larvicide programs. And I think this is largely moving water (from a disinfected source).

No to go a bit more o/t, the document talks about high water table and the effect on trees. You know those rotary exhaust fans you see on top of buildings and around old landfills. Do wonder if there could be a modification on that to bring air into the ground (i.e aerate the soil). Just a thought.

Oh yes, I'd love to be eaten by mosquitoes and die of malaria.
Jesus, what an absurd pile of hyperbole. Please provide some stats about how many people die of locally-acquired malaria in Toronto if you wanna claim that's an actual issue.

That said, I personally love the idea of the streetcar moving through more naturalised areas. Makes for a more scenic ride than just endless concrete and glass. Very excited for the Portlands.

Waterfront Toronto Design Review Panel - Waterfront East LRT - Area 2B Cherry North (DRAFT)

Addition of LRT infrastructure on Cherry St. from Queens Quay to Mill St., including transit connection under rail corridor, removal of Distillery Loop and plaza conversion, and relocation of Cherry signals Tower
Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 11.18.33.png

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 11.19.24.png

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 11.20.10.png

So they've chosen Option 1 and moving the Cherry Tower - and due to the very low topography at the Cherry underpass, they propose to change the loop to a "marsh" to act as stormwater runoff/landscaping.

Back