News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'd hope that at least along the open track (the Waterloo Corridor and along the Huron Spur), the LRT will be treated like a mainline railway, with full priority (crossbucks, lights, bells, gates) similar to how the outer sections of the Calgary and Edmonton LRTs operate.
I've seen foundations going in that indicate to me that there will be crossing arms at Columbia.

I just hope that with crossing arms, they could finally give GRT buses the go-ahead to proceed over the tracks without coming to a stop. (Currently this is the case in Ottawa)

I question now if the spur crossings are getting arms. I just drove by Bearanger and it's had the overhead railway lights up for quite some time, but no mounting hardware on the uprights for any arm mechanism. The only other foundation in the ground is for the OCS poles.

Any update on the speculation that the first ION LRT is making its way south from Thunder Bay?

I can't imagine how that could be true. Far too early to be needed, shop not ready and not turned over to Ion, too hard to keep it under wraps, and without any hint of a photo op? And an odd optic relative to the Toronto order, which they are way behind on.

- Paul

All likely true. But what shipped from Thunder Bay on car TTIX 158091 that appears to have been offloaded at Toronto (Agincourt) yard on December 29th?

I can't imagine how that could be true. Far too early to be needed
Well, at current rates of delivery for the streetcars, they're going to need to start soon, if we want to get 14 in time for a mid/late-2017 launch!

The first vehicle is the prototype. Surely it needs to be delivered soon, so that they can finalize the design for delivery of the 14 production cars to begin as scheduled in late 2016.

The spur won't be ready until June to begin testing. My guess is it headed to Milhaven if it is indeed the first Freedom prototype.

Seems odd that they would bring it by rail to Agincourt and then offload (presumably to truck) to take it the rest of the way to Millhaven. Is there that much remaining to test? Hopefully it is a carbon copy (with different dimensions, I appreciate) of the TTC model, at least in terms of major components and electronics?

In any event, we certainly want an unveiling at least as dramatic as Blackpool's

- Paul

Reactions: BMO
I'm hoping for a German band and balloons, to be honest. :)

I'd expect to see the first train show up sometime in July/August, run for 2 months on the spur only (unless they get some of the OMSF track down), then go back to Thunder Bay. Then have delivery of the "final" trains start late this year.

Some informative comments from Schmidt about the signal system in that second article:

Gates to stop traffic and allow trains to pass through intersections shouldn't be down for more than 30 seconds and trains may not automatically get priority over other traffic.

"We could run the system that way, but that would potentially disadvantage the rest of the transportation system," Schmidt said.

I can understand not unconditionally granting priority to LRVs at signalized intersections where they'd get a green at some point anyway, but it doesn't make any sense at a level crossing where they are the only cross-traffic. Hopefully this was a misprint or misunderstanding.

Schmidt said the region wants to instead integrate train and car signals to keep [car] traffic flowing. Trains would get a priority signal only if they were behind on their route, similar to bus priority lanes on Hespeler Road in Cambridge.

According to the agreement, the system "shall allow (light rail vehicles) to be consistently served without significant delay to general traffic at signalized intersections."

I support conditional priority as a method, but this rhetoric suggests that we may be underwhelmed by the level of priority these vehicles get when the line opens.

The Waterloo spur line is an exception. What's called an automated train protection system will be installed there so while the operator is technically in control, if a red light is run the train stops automatically.
This is interesting because there's also a dedicated ROW segment in Kitchener. I guess that doesn't have ATP. Does that mean that trains won't be able to go 70 km/h like they do on the Waterloo Spur?

---

The whole article is a mess of marginally correct information. Clearly the author had only the faintest understanding of what the Region was telling them:
(tl;dr: there are lots of errors and misunderstandings).

Here, signal controls at intersections in Kitchener and Waterloo will be controlled by a computer system, Schmidt said. Train operators will be able to decide whether to stop or go at a traffic signal, the same as someone in a car or a bus driver might.
It's not like Edmonton isn't using signals controlled by computer. It's been decades since anyone has installed a clockwork controller. The issue in Edmonton was simply that the signal system wasn't working at all.
The second sentence is struggling to refer to a completely different point, which is that other than the Waterloo Spur, the ION LRT lacks signals that simply separate LRVs from one another (block signaling). The fact that operators choose to obey signals is irrelevant - I'm sure operators obey traffic signals just as much as block signals.

The average on-road speed of the trains will be about 50 km/h on the 19 kilometres of track between Conestoga Mall in Waterloo and Fairview Park mall in Kitchener.
50 km/h is the speed limit, not the average speed. The average speed is closer to 25-30 km/h.
And those 19km are the entire line, so it seems a tad unnecessary to specify.

Speeds in areas with significant pedestrian traffic such as Waterloo Town Square or for pulling into stations will be slower, but in less congested pedestrian areas speeds could be increased to about 70 km/h, Schmidt said.
It's not about pedestrian congestion, it's about fully dedicated ROW or not. In the segments with 70 km/h limits, it's basically a train. In the segments with 50 km/h limits, it's basically a streetcar.

The full round trip from Conestoga Mall to Fairview Park mall in Kitchener and back is expected to take about 95 minutes.
Who cares? The round trip time includes the layovers at either end, so it's irrelevant to everyone other than the operators and schedulers. Now we'll end up with a bunch of citizens whining about how we're spending kajillions of dollars on a line that takes an hour and a half just to get to Kitchener.

Last edited:
The problem remains that there are authorities who see light rail vehicles as only a single vehicle, and ignore the number of passengers onboard the said vehicle. They'll see a train of two or three light rail vehicles still as a single vehicle. They'll rather give priority to the 1.3 people in an automobile (maybe three or four vehicles turning on a left signal, which would mean 5.2 people) ahead the 40, 80, 160, etc. passengers onboard the light rail train.

Back