News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

waterloo-lrt-sign.jpg

waterloo-lrt-sign.jpg

waterloo-lrt-sign.jpg

waterloo-lrt-signs.jpg

It looks like a warning that there's a railway crossing on an intersecting street near the intersection.
I know that.
What I'm wondering is why they have a weirdly photoshopped version, instead of this:
68265_669_w10-3_c_lg.gif

And theirs, for comparison:
waterloo-lrt-sign.jpg

Attachments

• 68265_669_w10-3_c_lg.gif
    68265_669_w10-3_c_lg.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 204
  • waterloo-lrt-sign.jpg
    waterloo-lrt-sign.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 240
That sign is used on Highway 7 east of Guelph where the tracks parallel the road. The point being, if you make a turn without checking, you immediately cross the tracks. Warns you to look before you turn into a train.

- Paul

That sign is used on Highway 7 east of Guelph where the tracks parallel the road. The point being, if you make a turn without checking, you immediately cross the tracks. Warns you to look before you turn into a train.

- Paul
If we could only turn all cars into trains wouldn't that be a good thing?

The open house had a pretty impressive attendance - a lot of the swag ran out pretty early in the afternoon.

The one thing I noticed was that the vehicle has no pantograph - it was semi-hard-wired into a fixed power supply on the overhead gantry. This supply point appeared to be a permanent installation - I'm guessing that it is safer (and perhaps a Code requirement) to "plug in" the vehicle for maintenance - giving a point for locking out the power when workers are hands on.

Here's a shot of the cab, showing that there was some basic power but not full power-up of the controls.

Staff on hand (a very friendly group, with GRT, Keolis, and Bombardier all involved) indicated the car was expected to be on the road for testing by mid May.

- Paul
20170408 GRT 501B b.jpg

Attachments

• 20170408 GRT 501B b.jpg
    20170408 GRT 501B b.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 327
The one thing I noticed was that the vehicle has no pantograph - it was semi-hard-wired into a fixed power supply on the overhead gantry. This supply point appeared to be a permanent installation - I'm guessing that it is safer (and perhaps a Code requirement) to "plug in" the vehicle for maintenance - giving a point for locking out the power when workers are hands on.
I believe they do that for the first part of the inspection period the TTC does that when they first receive their new cars. You usually see them being twoed from Hill Crest by another one with the pole and pantograph down.

Ran in to a number of people I know to the point the last one was arriving with his 2 kids and told him he had about 90 minute wait to get in and this was at 2 pm. At that point when I left, over 1,000 had seen the car and number where exceeding what was projected at that point.

Going in, I knew it was got to be a bitch to get any good videos or photos and you took your chance trying to get that one good shot. A number of people who wanted that great shot wish people stay away or out of their view. I take what I can as it will be near impossible for that one shot. The video is something not to write home about an the best under what was taking place.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as there most likely different versions being stated. 502 due in July. 503 & 504 in construction phase. 505 being assembly frame wise. All Edmonton 35m cars will be built in Kingston.

Representatives of Thunder Bay Management team for TTC order were on hand, handing out the photo of 501. They were in Kingston the day before looking at the work taking place there now.

Its my understanding, all the LRV will have 2 drivers when service start and thats a joke. As people stated, drivers to lazy to walk from one end to the other end as well a waste of money.

I thought there was to be someone on hand to answers questions related to the signage and wasn't qualify based on questions I heard as well asked base on what I saw on King St. Talking to the people I knew, one person came up with an answer to one of my questions: why 2 speed signs over each other going in the same direction. The answer was for both tracks with the lower speed for the opposite direction track when track is out of service for one reason or another.

With July 31 fast approaching for final completion date, a lot of work still to be done. Only a few areas for trackwork waiting concrete, otherwise 99.5% complete. Most of Charles and King St needs overhead, otherwise complete. All stations needs to be finish off which raise a question I saw at Northfield stop; is there a top coat of concrete or X to be added to the current platforms as both ends of Northfield stop has an access ramp that about 8" higher than the ramp on the platform. Need a photo to show what I saw and going be a few days before I get today photo of 400 as I got photos in front of them to fix, tag and number before I can up load them.

The other issue I saw is how long will it be before no u-turn signs go up to stop driver coming off Mills St onto Ottawa before been force to turn the wrong way they want to go as well using the driveways of residents to make that u-turn. Counted a dozen cars in the short time I was there.

With luck, I will say King St underpass should be open by the end of May or early June as most is completed. Crews were removing all the material for the hording to heat the track work and all that should be done my the end of this coming week.

None of the cars at this point will have the new reader for GRT smart card or fare machines. They are to be on the platforms only. I like their smart card and better than the Presto and can do more than Presto. I surprised they got away with it based on the pressure from Queen Park.

Last edited:
I believe they do that for the first part of the inspection period the TTC does that when they first receive their new cars. You usually see them being twoed from Hill Crest by another one with the pole and pantograph down.
If you looked closely at the driver display area, a number of them only had blank material in them, as those panels aren't design or built yet. Because these cars are part of Metrolinx order and BBD not sure if the order will be fulfill, BBD hasn't done the work yet for ION cars at this point. This was pointed out to me later on by people I know and explain what I was seeing as odd.

Back