News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We can't really hold Toronto to blame for the inadequacies of our pre-war streetscape. I wish that the builders of Toronto's residential neighbourhoods in the early 1900s had built terrace houses at the least, let alone midrise apartment blocks like in New York, Buenos Aires or Continental Europe. Alas, we were kind of a hick town back then and the semi-detached Bay and Gable and the two-storey commercial street is what we have to work around. At least we didn't develop another 50 years later and get stuck with bungalows and strip malls!

We can't change the past, but we can make a concerted effort to make sure that our developments are representative of the kind of heady metropolis we've become. Now and then we drop the ball on this and build some shlock faux-historical townhouse in a prime location but, in general, I am very happy with the progress Toronto has made in the last five years to advance our basic architectural stock into the major leagues. Extra props for Freedville, et al.

But there's nothing wrong with bay-and-gables and two-story (well, in places with bay-and-gables, more like three story) commercial streets. I find both perfectly urban, not to mention incredibly beautiful. Most importantly, they're unique--Toronto has a housing vernacular that is totally one of a kind, and much more visually engaging than the virtually identical mid-rises in most Continental cities.

My point is, there's nothing--not nothing--wrong with what we've got, and much of it is extraordinary. Why not celebrate it?

I agree. Regardless of whether we were an ambitious Victorian era colonial city with Bay and Gable as our mode of expression, or a rapidly expanding post-WW2 city built with sensible, concrete Modernism, we have always had our own urban identity. Flashy modes of expression they're not, to be sure, but that's T.O. for you.

matt,

The bay and gable is only sort of unique to Toronto. Hamilton has similar housing styles, although the angle of the roof in Toronto is undoubtedly steeper. You can't really accuse the continental European midrise to be the same everywhere, either. It looks totally different in Berlin than in Paris or Madrid or Rome. Regardless of what these midrises look like, you feel hemmed in by the city around you and it's a great sensation that is very hard to find anywhere in Toronto where the architectural vernacular is a mix of the bay and gables set behind front yards and modernist apartment blocks that, while very handsome, have their urban presence diminished by the grass strip and car turn-around that front them.

What I'm getting at is that, unique or not, our residential vernacular doesn't give off that big city vibe. The commercial streets of Toronto are some of the most bustling on the continent, and some of the most interesting to walk down but, oh, what I would give for them to be two storeys taller.

I'm not advocating a demolition spree, but I would like to see the areas that are already targeted for development achieve this metropolitan feel. In some places, like King and Sherbourne and King and Spadina we're right on track.

Points taken, though I think this is partly a matter of taste; I find that continental mid-rises can make for *very* dead streetscapes in residential areas when compared to the more variegated frontages we've got. And does Hamilton--an industrial satellite city 40 or so km away--really count? My point is, bay and gables are something that are (almost entirely) ours, in addition to being interesting and beautiful.

As for the big city vibe, it sort of depends on the big city, doesn't it? Most of London has a quite similar urban form to older parts of Toronto, for example...

Anyway, I agree with you wholeheartedly that, where appropriate, we should look for more mid-risey stuff, since we don't have much between the two poles of bay-and-gable country and skyscrapey downtown.

I just wish there were more of a conviction in the city that our built heritage is unique, the product of local circumstances, and just as worth taking pride in as that of any 'world class' burgh.

Just to chime in, I would agree that Toronto's victorian housing stock and gorgeous tree-lined residential streets are a major asset. Outside of the central core Toronto feels like a collection of villages (main streets surrounded by urban residential) and this is undoubtedly what makes it feel so eminently liveable and urban despite the lack of height. And, not to resort to boosterism but I don't think Toronto has to be envious of any city with respect to heritage homes, not even San Fran. Cabbagetown streetscapes are second to none in a North American urban context. Where Toronto falls down is in infrastructure (inadequate and not very pretty), upkeep, and grand gestures (we have some but could do with a few more, just for fun). If the waterfront were to live up to its potential, and with the addition of some of parks that are planned, Toronto will be an incredible place that given the right showcase (Olympics?) will have it's day in the sun. Toronto also needs to develop its identity and history which is one of those things that comes with growth and maturity (for people as with cities) and that lends an important sense of place to people who live here and visit.

Tewder:

Toronto also needs to develop its identity and history which is one of those things that comes with growth and maturity (for people as with cities) and that lends an important sense of place to people who live here and visit.

Actually, mature cities are the ones who doesn't care what others think of them and their identities and get on with living.

AoD

There's no reason why a colonial 19th century city such as Toronto would have developed a hemmed-in "big city vibe" like imperial capitals Berlin, Paris, Madrid, or Rome. Having established our identity then, we continue to be ourselves now. We express that identity and sense of space when we put up office towers, build houses, adopt the "avenues" approach to intensification, renovate our cultural centres, or extend our network of streets and buildings southwards to engage the waterfront.

However from that view point, Montreal is a mature city ^^^

However from that view point, Montreal is a mature city ^^^

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, considering Montreal's obsession (and success) with getting the top spot in the recent Monopoly voting.

Montreal did have these problems in the 70's when a lot of the old money and companies shifted to Toronto and plus Toronto became the larger city with people.

However since then Montreal accepts its role as being number 2.

But being content with being second city doesn't mean they don't care about how the city is perceived.
Perhaps it's just what I think, but no city that is living and thriving would not care about what others think of them, not least because they would always need to advertise themselves to have outsiders come for tourism, business etc. Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough, but I don't think any "world cities" or major cities right now are "perfectly content" with what they are and don't care about how they're perceived, because these cities are living and ever growing, and it is this constant introspection and comparison/competition that keeps a city alive. When a city stops caring about how it is perceived or compares with other cities (not perfect examples, but what comes to mind are certain general medieval "cities"/towns in Europe, old industrial cities in the US, etc), then that city is dead, figuratively and literally. Of course, people can still live perfectly satisfactory lives in those cities, but I would say that's not the type of "maturity" that many urban dwellers would want.

of course we have seen in the past that even if one city dominates it still wants to grow bigger and more important.

I would imagine Montreal had a lot vision of grandeur after the hugely successful 1967 Expo, but it lead the disastrous 1976 Olympic games.

Toronto has obviously made significant strides in increasing its overall urbanity over the last 50 or so years. The current development process is a clear indication that this city is growing, and doing so at quite a rapid rate.

What the city needs to strive for however, is greater global appeal. Toronto is after all, the unofficial "capital" of Canada. This city is the financial and entertainment centre of this country, and thus is the world's gateway into our nation.

A few years back the Amazing Race came out with a "Family Edition" of sorts. I recall the groups of families sailing in the Toronto harbour trying to finish some sort of goal. One of the whiny kids says: "Where are we?" The father replies: "I think this MIGHT be Toronto, but I'm not entirely sure."

All American ignorance aside, an occurance like that, for me anyways, is a clear indication that some sort of "global" presence is lacking with regards to our city.

Toronto needs to push for a greater presence on the global scene. The current development is a step in the right direction, as large urban centres have a large presence on the world stage. The various cultural events and festivals that occur here also help Toronto's name, no doubt. Personally, more needs to be done to establish a world-renowned status, and that will not happen through the ordination of more parks or green space, or the demolition of an above-ground freeway.

The implementation of adequate transportation networks will undoubetly resolve much of the gridlock on our roads, and should be a primary goal of our politicians to propell Toronto into the ranks of truly efficient cities.

Secondly, the waterfront is clearly an area that needs to be redeveloped and hopefully, that process is still moving along. Many sections of so called "Tourist Areas" along Yonge St. and other such areas, should also be redeveloped and or upgraded, to appeal to more visitors and tourists.

Thirdly, there should be a reversal of current trends within the entertainment sector. Bars, clubs and restaurants should remain open for longer hours to create a lively, "sleepless" atmosphere. Doing so would reverse the lifeless, boring label associated with our city.

I have great pride and passion for this city, and I'm sure most Toronto bashers do as well. It's simply frustrating, if not infuriating to see the vast amount of potential for our great city slowly wither away due to idiotic urban planners, knuckle-headed politicians and ruthless opponents to development and change. This is a great, beautiful city and should be perfected in numerous ways in order to be presented to a worldwide audience.

Back