News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The issue is not that Tokyo doesn't have green spaces, but that when I saw them they were underused, poorly designed, and generally had a bereft air to them. The outer garden of the Imperial palace was clean, but uninspiring, and in the middle of a beautiful day had no people.

Strangely, given that you pay to get in, the Shinjinku garden was one of the worst tended, with muddy pathways, sickly shrubbery, and a generally unused feeling to it.

Odd, I guess it might be the time you went in. When I went to Shinjuku garden it wasn't that bad. It was a free day so I guess it might be a reason why it was so busy? There were some environmental events going in inside.

Near the Imperial palace I remember a big shell like object and a waterfall behind it. There was water around it. And nearby that I think there was a water fountain? It really isn't designed badly. I agree there isn't anything but grass around the Imperial palace but inside was not bad.

I also enjoyed my walk in Harajuku park where the weirdos hang out on sunday. And the nice serenity with the long wood chip path and tall trees on either side at Meiji Shrine park (it was like in movies). When I went, there might have been an event going on there cuz it was kind of busy and a lot of foreigners near the shrine. But overall the paths weren't too busy and nice to walk through.

As for under use of other parks, it seemed fairly busy to me. Maybe I got caught around Golden Week or events going on. Or maybe on a regular day, people just don't like going to parks? They rather go shopping?

I don't have much problem with their parks, if you talk about shrubbery and stuff, I would say music garden here looked like a mess. I went near fall and I guess most flowers were gone, but it looked like no one was taking care of it.

The parks are one of the best things about Tokyo - especially in the spring. If you are looking for a park that isn't "underused", go to Yoyogi park on a weekend.

There aren't many public squares at all but I think that the temples and shrines really play that role here.

And yes, the vast majority of the buildings in the city make even TLS look good but the volume of buildings and flashing lights somehow makes up for it.

But you will find people here who hate Tokyo just like in Toronto. I have a hard time finding anyone who was actually born here. Everyone I meet was born in another city, town, prefecture and only came to Tokyo to work. Most seem to be dying to go home and can only talk about how much better their hometown is than Tokyo. Foreigners living here who leave comments on the English language news sites also complain constantly about the city. One recent article about the struggles of Tokyo's tourism industry asked for suggestions on how Tokyo could attract more tourists and the first comment was asking why anyone would want to visit Tokyo since there was nothing to do here. Nothing to do in Tokyo. Some people are just grumpy bastards whose opinions really should be ignored.

As much as I love it here, I have grown to appreciate Toronto even more.

^

I guess this is true of all cities. It's human nature to say that "the grass is much greener on the other side."

To me, to be a 'great' city you have to have a history or mythos that people buy into. Something important has to have happened there, historically or culturally.

To me, to be a 'great' city you have to have a history or mythos that people buy into. Something important has to have happened there, historically or culturally.

yes and no. You don't need big events happening. Every city/country has their own history and culture. You don't need to have a war or something happen there to make you great. What makes a great city is their transportation, architecture, amount of culture/events/liveliness, etc. If there's a good mode of transport for people to get around; Architecture people can appreciate and want to come back for more; Interesting events that attract people to attend; Various districts for people to hang out; population to make it lively. Those all help to make a city "great".

It's true the grass is always greener on the other side. When I travel around, I envy what others have that Toronto doesn't. But when I return, Toronto feels comfortable and homey. When I compare Toronto to HK. I felt admiration for the washrooms we have. At least they don't stink so much you can smell it from a mile away. But I am getting used to living in shoe boxes here since I've stayed at tiny apartments in Asia.

Keep in mind that I put the word 'great' in quotes. A city can be a great place to live but not necessarily 'great' if you know what I mean. On the other hand cities like Paris or NYC are definitely 'great' but not necessarily ideal for living (does anybody live in Manhattan anymore?).

Did anything of any interest ever happen here? " Any interest, " meaning an event that resonates both here and around the world?

I can't think of anything. It's like Orlando or London Ontario. Nothing ever happened.

You know what, Mystic, I'm not surprised you can't "think of anything", as that would require some grey matter.

You are contributing nothing to this conversation, so why don't you just bug off. Or learn a little history. Or both.

Well inform me. What happened here?

Many things happened here, though we as modest Canadians have not hyped the events into legends as Americans are so adept at doing. Some brief things off the top of my head, fleshed out by Wikipedia and Bruce Bell...

- Toronto (York at the time) was invaded by 1,700 American soldiers in 1813. They burned Ontario's (Upper Canada's) first parliament buildings near today's Berkely & Esplanade, then marched along King St to St. James Church until persuaded to leave by Reverend John Strachan. In retaliation, British forces later burned the Capitol and President's House in Washington (though this did not directly lead to the whitewashing and renaming of the "White House" as is commonly believed, although that is an awesome story I wish was true).

- Most of the events in the Rebellion of 1837 took place in Toronto, along with the requisite gruesome hangings of losing participants. Though the initial rebellion was a failure, the events later lead to the British giving the colony of Upper Canada more powers, in turn triggering a series of events that eventually saw Upper and Lower Canada combine to form a single Province of Canada.

- St. Lawrence Hall is one of the only buildings remaining in Canada where the so-called "Fathers of Confederation" met before the Dominion of Canada was formed.

In terms of bad historical events, we have had two Great Fires (1847, 1904), SARS, a snow storm that required an army to dig us out, and several New Kids on the Block concerts. What more trauma could one city ask for? The resolve of Torontonians has truly been forged in the flames of hell.

When I travel around, I envy what others have that Toronto doesn't. But when I return, Toronto feels comfortable and homey.

That explains, why people still tolerate living in New Jersey... :D

In terms of bad historical events, we have had two Great Fires (1847, 1904), SARS, a snow storm that required an army to dig us out, and several New Kids on the Block concerts. What more trauma could one city ask for? The resolve of Torontonians has truly been forged in the flames of hell.

Don't forget to add to the list the SS Noronic Fire (1949, 122 deaths), Hurricane Hazel, and two-to-three big blackouts (1965, 2003 and 2009).

Many things happened here, though we as modest Canadians have not hyped the events into legends as Americans are so adept at doing. Some brief things off the top of my head, fleshed out by Wikipedia and Bruce Bell...

- Toronto (York at the time) was invaded by 1,700 American soldiers in 1813. They burned Ontario's (Upper Canada's) first parliament buildings near today's Berkely & Esplanade, then marched along King St to St. James Church until persuaded to leave by Reverend John Strachan. In retaliation, British forces later burned the Capitol and President's House in Washington (though this did not directly lead to the whitewashing and renaming of the "White House" as is commonly believed, although that is an awesome story I wish was true).

- Most of the events in the Rebellion of 1837 took place in Toronto, along with the requisite gruesome hangings of losing participants. Though the initial rebellion was a failure, the events later lead to the British giving the colony of Upper Canada more powers, in turn triggering a series of events that eventually saw Upper and Lower Canada combine to form a single Province of Canada.

- St. Lawrence Hall is one of the only buildings remaining in Canada where the so-called "Fathers of Confederation" met before the Dominion of Canada was formed.

I think it actually would be a good thing if they do hype it up a bit more, not necessarily to create overblown legends or myths, but at least to educate people better about their history. But I guess Canadians are too "soft" to do that...
And I'm actually looking forward to the bicentennial celebrations in 2012. Hopefully they will be done right, it would be a very good opportunity.

On the cultural side, Toronto played host to "The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever" at Massey Hall, May 15, 1953. Not to mention some noteworthy performances at the El Mocambo by the likes of The Rolling Stones and Elvis Costello.

Not everything has to be 9/11 or the Berlin Wall coming down to make a place interesting. For a wonderful depiction of "historic" Toronto read "In the Skin of a Lion." We're not as boring as people think.

Back