News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Well, if this is the weather and gardening discussion, here's one of each.

Finally got my garden in last week; the impatiens are loving the heat.

PXL_20210627_224533704.jpg

Noctilucent clouds above downtown last night; around 11 PM.
1624908067411.jpeg

One of the great things about Calgary is the rivers. Both Elbow and Bow are amazing for recreation in the summer.
Most remarkable is how recently the rivers' recreational potential has been realized. The heavy lifting from the 70's through 2000's in improving access to the rivers and their water quality seemed to cross a threshold about 2015. I always admired Boise and Reno for their river based recreation. Calgary has caught up in probably ever aspect other than length of season.

Just looking at some of the electricity stats on the AESO site (http://ets.aeso.ca/): As of Hour Ending 17 today (5PM Mountain), the pool price is $928.23, coming close to the $1,000 price cap that would trigger blackouts. The extra demand after noon really pushes up prices:

1624922883293.png

Can see the utilization of the various generation sources..In this weather, wind contributes virtually nothing and even solar has poor capacity (TNG is actual generation, DCR is dispatchable reserve that could come online quickly, MC is theoretical capacity:
1624923050340.png

Also pulling hard on the interties, especially from SK (which likely isn't seeing as much a surge in local demand compares to BC and MT):
1624923171586.png

I'm getting a bit sick of it, but am also kind of fascinated by it. I'm headed to Jasper this week, and apparently it's been the hot spot in the province the last few days, never thought I would see that!

Today is going to be a brutal day for a lot of people, already at 25 on my drive in, lots of haze in the air too.

Anyone else getting tired of hearing the word 'historic' to describe our heat wave? The media overuses this word to describe virtually any kind of event that has not happened before or happens very rarely.
I am tired of it a little bit. I mean, in the end every time there's a new record broken, etc.. it's historic. This heatwave is more pronounced than others from the past, but I remember a couple of years a go when we broke the record for the single hottest day in Calgary, it only broke the old record by half a degree or something like that.

I gotta be honest people are kinda overblowing this whole heat wave. I get that it's unprecedented for Calgary, but honestly 35c isn't all that hot. I used to live in Australia and this was pretty much normal weather for 3 months of the year.

I understand that these heat waves are going to become more common and it's a symptom of larger trends, etc. But this is literally normal summer weather is most countries

Australia and Canada (let alone Alberta) are completely incomparable save for Tasmania and maybe extreme southern Victoria State… so that’s kinda just moot.

Anyways, I’m genuinely surprised that we can still see the mountains today with the air quality so poor and heat so high. We may literally break our all-time heat record within the next hour… in JUNE! 🥲😫

816B20E6-6AB8-4B19-8686-4EA74922B317.jpeg

Last edited:
I gotta be honest people are kinda overblowing this whole heat wave. I get that it's unprecedented for Calgary, but honestly 35c isn't all that hot. I used to live in Australia and this was pretty much normal weather for 3 months of the year.

I understand that these heat waves are going to become more common and it's a symptom of larger trends, etc. But this is literally normal summer weather is most countries
Same for places like Texas, Arizona, etc...these temps are normal in some places. I think the reason it's a problem here is because most people don't have AC in their homes.

One thing I've noticed with this heat wave (and it's only my perception) is that the 35C out in the sun seems hotter than other places I've experienced 35C weather. I've been in places all around the world, humid places like Malaysia or Miami or dry places like Las Vegas or medium humid places Sydney when it's 35C and it has never felt as hot out in the sun. I was in Sydney when they were going through a heatwave and pushing 40C and I spent the a lot the time outdoors walking around, taking pictures etc.. These last few days here, I was barely able to sit out in the sun for more than 5-10 minutes, the sun felt wickedly hot.

One thing about Calgary though, is 35C in the shade is much easier than 35C in the shade in a place like Miami or Houston.

Same for places like Texas, Arizona, etc...these temps are normal in some places. I think the reason it's a problem here is because most people don't have AC in their homes.

One thing I've noticed with this heat wave (and it's only my perception) is that the 35C out in the sun seems hotter than other places I've experienced 35C weather. I've been in places all around the world, humid places like Malaysia or Miami or dry places like Las Vegas or medium humid places Sydney when it's 35C and it has never felt as hot out in the sun. I was in Sydney when they were going through a heatwave and pushing 40C and I spent the a lot the time outdoors walking around, taking pictures etc.. These last few days here, I was barely able to sit out in the sun for more than 5-10 minutes, the sun felt wickedly hot.

One thing about Calgary though, is 35C in the shade is much easier than 35C in the shade in a place like Miami or Houston.
Could be that our higher elevation may contribute to a higher UV index. When I was in Tibet we were anywhere between 3000-5000m and the sun was brutally hot despite the air temp being quite cool.

I just witnessed the funnel cloud pass over the downtown core. I’ll be processing the images and videos over the next little while.

Another supercell is following on the same trajectory…

B3EDD4EE-4222-47C2-BDD7-50C51313316C.jpeg

Back