39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

APTA-2048

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
A person from Toronto is known as a Torontonian, but there are some other other places that I wonder what their citizens are known as. What do you call someone from: Pickering, Vaughan, Markham, Belleville, Windsor, Welland, Coboug, Tecumseh

I've recently wondered the same about people from Vancouver? Vancouveran? Vanourverite?

For many large cities, the Wikipedia article includes the Demonym for that city in the info box at the top-right of the page. According to it, someone from Vancouver is a Vancouverite.

How about the -boroughs (Peter and Scar)? I regularly use "Scarberian", and it seems to be accepted, but I'm not sure if it's a correct form or just something people say

It's actually more a derivative of the derogative term "Scarberia". (Maybe "Scarboroughan", or something, might be more proper--don't know what people from the Yorkshire namesake call themselves.)

^Scarlem has always been a favourite of mine, but I'm from Scarborough, and I term myself a Scarberian.

Someone from Pickering is a "Pickeringite" and that's straight from the mayor's mouth. A relative of mine moved out there and e-mailed the mayor to find out and that was his response.

How about the -boroughs (Peter and Scar)? I regularly use "Scarberian", and it seems to be accepted, but I'm not sure if it's a correct form or just something people say
The demonym of a -borough would be a -borian, eg, Peterborian, Scarborian.

i think Niagara might have some of the hardest to define simply because there are some awkward city names plus a bunch of multi-word cities.
St Catharines = St Kittsman
Niagara-on-the-lake = Niagara-on-the-laker?
Port Colborne = Port Colborner
Fort Erie = Fort Erian? (awfully close to being pronounced Fort Aryan...)
Niagara Falls = ?

Though generic "Niagaran" works (even if it looks a little too much like "Nigerian")

There's the small town of Wainfleet, and I've only ever heard Fleeter as a demonym.

Back