News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm glad someone started this thread because I really wanted to add my opinion about the EX. Each year it seems to be more disappointing, this year being the worst so far. We paid $20 to park and then $15 x 2 = $50 just to get in. Other than the Heritage Court there were virtually no exhibition style displays. Having the agriculture display in the Better Living Building just feels wrong... perhaps it will revert to the Automotive building once that is complete? The whole thing has become a giant shopping mall. So many of the buildings were either closed or had nothing in them. Personally I like what the EX used to be back when I was a kid and would like to see it turn back in that direction. I remember coming through the Prince's Gates - there used to be a great sense of excitement, now just blah. I miss the old layout with the Grandstand, often hosting either a Blue Jays game or a concert. Since Medieval Times and Liberty Grand became permanent attractions they add nothing to the CNE and infact this year were outside the gates at the Dufferein entrance. Even the midway seems to be exceedingly clean and sterile which detracts from the vibe. The one jewel that carries on through it all is the Food Building - always love it! So basically we paid $50 to go shopping, and eat and drink... maybe I am just sentimental but the EX was so much better before all the modernizing and updating.

Yeah, what's up with closing off the western part of the CNE? I was in shock to see that. It's bad enough that they don't use the buildings anymore but to change the actual entrance and make the Ex smaller, is a real shame.

They are doing a good job of ruining the CNE, yet taking no responsibility for it. At least be honest with us and tell us you want to close it down for development or commercial year-round uses. It's the dishonesty I hate, like blaming the internet. lol The internet hasn't hurt Canada's Wonderland, Disneyland or La Ronde. That's because they try to add something different to improve their attractions. The CNE only takes away and gives us more discount shopping.

Anyone need 5 dollar stretch pants from Stitches? Get to the CNE fast, there is a MASSIVE sale! lol

My thoughts:

IF...the assumption is that we want to keep the EX in some sense, then we need to make it special again. Some of that is bringing back what was, some is not.

FOOD Building: In my parents time, and as a kid a great attraction. A place to get free samples, to try new products or international foods.

Today, its mostly a food court, with chain outlets, and few giveaways.

This is an easy and small change.

Reduce the rent for the food building for vendors, and cap the number of chain outlets. Give priority to a diversity of food. Require chains to showcase at least 1 new product that has not yet been tried by them in the Toronto market. (they almost always test the new products in London, ON, why not at the CNE?)

Try to pair up with Summerlicious by having 4 high-end restaurants a day come in (1 day only each) and do $2-$5 samples of their high-end cuisine. Great exposure for the restaurants and a guaranteed draw, Bymark and Canoe and Auberge doing samples!

Move the Beer Fest from Fort York; where it always sells out, to the CNE, keep it at 3 days, cut the price in 1/2 (if you pay for Ex-Admission); but raise it by $10 for those who don't want to buy an Ex Admission.

This is a very interesting idea, as my biggest disappointment with the Food Building is that it's become a giant food court with the same crappy chains that you can find anywhere else in Canada. Where is the variety, new cuisines and ideas, the samples and freshly made foods. Ye Olde Fudge Shop was great, however. We need more of that. I like the concept of restaurants coming in and making up special dishes for the show. Regarding the Beer Fest, it was moved to the Ex grounds this year, however the price increase was ludicrous. It needs to be back down to the $25 I remember it being, with which you also got 10 beer tokens. What was it, almost $50 this year?

There are some good ideas in this thread, and the Ex definitely needs some revamping; I wouldn't even have gone if it wasn't for the air show.

There was a time that the AVTOMOTIVE building had automobiles on display during the CNE. That was before all the automobile shows that appeared, separate from the CNE, at different times of the year and in different venues. The Better Living Centre had the latest electronics.

What happened is that different trade shows, that used to appear during the CNE, broke apart and away into shorter time periods and different venues.

It would be nice if they could return.

Hopefully with the Automotive building being converted into a convention centre, it will be possible to once again mount car shows in the larger rooms and other trade shows in the surrounding rooms. The renovated building could become a trade show centre during the 2 weeks of the fair.

No doubt it will improve the offerings at the CNE. The old farm was wasted space as many of the rooms were closed off. The new farm has a good setup, a better suited size and is closer to the children's part of the grounds.

There are some good ideas in this thread.

There are really three problems with the CNE:

1. Admissions: There is nothing to justify $15 to just get in, when most of what the CNE has to offer is the chance to spend/waste more money (flea market retailers, overpriced food, expensive rides). Even $5 after 5 pm hardly seems like value. The price should be $2.50 to get through the doors, if they really want more people to attend.

2. Stuff to do: Simply put, except for the air show, there is not much 'wow' (if there is any) at the EX. The midway rides and games are tired, the food building is now a food court, the buildings and surrounds are filled with flea market retailers (the CNE should have none of that, full stop) and the 'entertainment' is barely entertaining to most (I saw the 'light show' this year and it was a 5.5 out of 10, at best).

3. Everything is too expensive: The food court prices are ridiculous. And outside the building, the food prices are no better ($6.50 for a piece of corn and a drink?! really?!!! really?!!). And the midway rides are expensive too (I know because I spent $50 for some kids to go on about 4 rides). If you did not feel ripped off paying $15 at the door, per person, you will after a bottle of water costs you $3 and the hotdog another $6.

And after all that nothing, and all the costs, you will probably not be back next year.

Hey.. i went down yesterday to see the Air Show and a couple of other shows including the Super Dogs show that was held in a makeshift 4000 seat area in the Convention Centre, What surprised me was that the BMO and Ricoh Centre doors were both closed, thats a total of 30,000 seat venues that could have been used for a special last day event. What a waste.:confused:

Maybe I am younger, but I never really remember the CNE as being "great." Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed going there as a kid and such, but as I grew older (i.e. 14 onwards) it just seemed more and more like a second tier Wonderland run by carnies. Maybe ferris wheels and those rides where you spin around were fun the in the 1950s, but I don't see anyway how they can compete with permanent steel roller coasters and thrill rides. It is just an economics thing. If you are only open for two or three weeks a year, you can never invest as much in your park as someone who is open for 20 weeks. It is impossible. That's not only true for rides, but every other kind of exhibit at the Ex. Food is better at year round restaurants, cultural things are better at year round cultural exhibits, cars are better at car museums and so forth.

I know this was true for friends of mine who lived in the 'burbs, but getting to the Ex was a PITA as well. If you take the TTC, you inevitably have to deal with the horrible Waterfront "LRT" packed to the gills. And after a day walking around 30C weather, nothing sucks like herding a bunch of kids through the TTC. If you drive, parking is inevitably full, forcing you to pay huge premiums, and there is also the inevitable traffic jam at the end of the day as everyone piles onto Lakeshore. I recall once being trapped in some kind of traffic jam as a kid for 30m, the kicker being we were right next to some kind of agricultural pen. Nothing says "come again" like being stuck for half an hour in an area permeated with pig and horse manure, dehydrated from the hot weather. Wonderland, by comparison, is just plain easier. It isn't hard to find a group of friends to take a car up for the day, and if you are a larger group you can take a school bus.

I'm not sure how fixable any of these are. In some kind of ideal world, the CNE Grounds/Ontario Place would be converted into a year round kind of "entertainment zone" while the "Ex" would become a special event, sort of like how after Taste of the Danforth all the restaurants don't disappear. I doubt Toronto is big enough for 2 bona fide amusement parks, so a new CNE park would have to distinguish itself from Wonderland. The most obvious solution to this for me would be to focus on more adult-themed entertainment. Allow clubs to open up, host more concerts, host more sports games, maybe even designate the grounds themselves as a licensed so people can drink a beer going from one event to another. Maybe invest an actual thrill ride or two.

There are some good ideas in this thread.

There are really three problems with the CNE:

1. Admissions: There is nothing to justify $15 to just get in, when most of what the CNE has to offer is the chance to spend/waste more money (flea market retailers, overpriced food, expensive rides). Even $5 after 5 pm hardly seems like value. The price should be $2.50 to get through the doors, if they really want more people to attend.

2. Stuff to do: Simply put, except for the air show, there is not much 'wow' (if there is any) at the EX. The midway rides and games are tired, the food building is now a food court, the buildings and surrounds are filled with flea market retailers (the CNE should have none of that, full stop) and the 'entertainment' is barely entertaining to most (I saw the 'light show' this year and it was a 5.5 out of 10, at best).

3. Everything is too expensive: The food court prices are ridiculous. And outside the building, the food prices are no better ($6.50 for a piece of corn and a drink?! really?!!! really?!!). And the midway rides are expensive too (I know because I spent $50 for some kids to go on about 4 rides). If you did not feel ripped off paying $15 at the door, per person, you will after a bottle of water costs you $3 and the hotdog another $6.

And after all that nothing, and all the costs, you will probably not be back next year.

I'm not sure about #1. Elvis Stojko had a free show (with admission). It was kind of cheesy, but my parents and quite a few others felt it was worth the price of admission on its own. I find it hard to disagree, as a similar show would cost at least $15.

I agree the food is too expensive though.

Overall, I still love the CNE. A lot of it is nostalgia, but I look forward to it every year. I have to say the kids area is very well done. My niece and I had a fantastic time, and there's enough variety to keep almost any kid entertained.

There are some very good ideas here though.

I've always thought of the CNE as just a really big fall fair; that way, its lack of sophistication in some ways is easier to understand. I'll agree with many here that its stock-in-trade is nostalgia. Perhaps they've simply defaulted to this...

Government representation, Armed Forces display excepted, of all levels has been missing for years.

The CNE needs to bring back the cable cars, The Bulova Tower, The Flyer roller coaster and the freak show! :p Also the ex needs better entertainment, such a waste seeing ricoh coliseum and BMO not being used during the CNE

^ Ricoh is used extensively. In fact, the best events are held there. Elvis Stojko's ice show was there this year and Circ de Soleil had events there in the past 3 years.

The impression I got while sitting on the board was that most visitors think the CNE is just rides, games and shopping when it is so much more.

I guess people don't bother picking up a flyer at the entrance that explains the day's events.

Indeed, Ricoh Coliseum was used! Elvis Stojko headlined a twice daily show which many felt was worth the price of the ticket alone. It drew a standing ovation when I was there.

Well they do have Medieval Times :) but the other parts can be dead at times. They need to change the image of the Ex and not just a junky once a year fair

The CNE needs to bring back the cable cars, The Bulova Tower, The Flyer roller coaster and the freak show! :p Also the ex needs better entertainment, such a waste seeing ricoh coliseum and BMO not being used during the CNE
In the early 70's there was a particularly hot day during the Ex, and I remember the TV news featured the Bulova Tower (or Shell Tower back then?) flashing 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Very cool.

(Fahrenheit -- better name than Celsius.)

This is a very interesting idea, as my biggest disappointment with the Food Building is that it's become a giant food court with the same crappy chains that you can find anywhere else in Canada. Where is the variety, new cuisines and ideas, the samples and freshly made foods. Ye Olde Fudge Shop was great, however. We need more of that. I like the concept of restaurants coming in and making up special dishes for the show. Regarding the Beer Fest, it was moved to the Ex grounds this year, however the price increase was ludicrous. It needs to be back down to the $25 I remember it being, with which you also got 10 beer tokens. What was it, almost $50 this year?

NIGHT MARKET!!

I find it ludicrous that in a city this large and full of this many Asians, the extent of night market is two nights a year in a small parking lot way up in Markham. I would hope we'd have more than just 2 weeks a year, but Night Market at the CNE would be an acceptable compromise.

Vancouver's night market runs every weekend, all summer! I am so jealous.

Back