9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

wagthedog

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am looking at PLE 755 Contemporary Urban Design which sounds a lot like PLG 320 Planning studio with Verbanac. In PLG 320 we developed a working vocab of urban design concepts (i.e. Jacobian and Lynchian analysis, nodes, landmarking, city layouts (New urbanism, garden city, city beautiful). How similar/different will PLE 755 be?

Has anyone taken PLE 635 Feasibility Analysis of Development? Will this involve stats? Is this cost-analysis a complex process or a simple +/-?

thanks

Im doing PLE 755 next semester. I've heard good things about it. Thats all I know.

I did 755 a few years ago. I really liked it as you get into a lot of various design themes and typologies. Only problem I had with it was the final report was due when you walked into the final exam meaning if you wait till the last minute to finish it you screwed trying to study. Or that could be just me.

I did 755 a few years ago. I really liked it as you get into a lot of various design themes and typologies. Only problem I had with it was the final report was due when you walked into the final exam meaning if you wait till the last minute to finish it you screwed trying to study. Or that could be just me.

There was no final exam last year. I think it may have been dropped.

so basically repeating what we learnt in PLG 320, housing typologies, streetscapes, nodes, jacobian, lynch and the whole nine yards?

If it's just that, I rather pick something like private development.

I don't know what's offered these days, but the PLE's that I took a few years back were Site Planning, Housing, Transportation Planning, and the Field Placement one.

In terms of actually learning, I'd take the Field Placement again in a heartbeat, because you actually get to go out into the real world and learn how things really work. Site Planning was great too, mainly because Keeble is a lot more friendly and helpful when it's in a smaller class than compared to PLG 220.

Transportation is a lot more specialized but if you think that your career might go off in that direction, than you should definitely take it.

Housing was kind of meh, but more because the material was really boring. Webber taught it then and he was great as always.

I don't know what's offered these days, but the PLE's that I took a few years back were Site Planning, Housing, Transportation Planning, and the Field Placement one.

In terms of actually learning, I'd take the Field Placement again in a heartbeat, because you actually get to go out into the real world and learn how things really work. Site Planning was great too, mainly because Keeble is a lot more friendly and helpful when it's in a smaller class than compared to PLG 220.

Transportation is a lot more specialized but if you think that your career might go off in that direction, than you should definitely take it.

Housing was kind of meh, but more because the material was really boring. Webber taught it then and he was great as always.

Im in site planning right now and agree. So much better now than in 220.

If you want to get into Private development, good luck. SO MANY people couldn't get into it this semester and were left scrambling to find a replacement. If you do decide to pick it, make sure you pick another PLE just in case. Its always easier to drop later on than to add.

I did Private Development and it was probably one of the best courses I took. It was the first time Webber taught it and each week was a guest speaker from various development/consulting firms.

I enjoyed both Transportation courses as well, but those are specialized as Molybdenum suggests and if it's not a major interest or you have no plans on doing transportation planning then the Field Placement and Site Planning are good choices. I never did Site Planning which would have been useful for the work I'm doing now, but I've managed nonetheless.

Back