8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Exodus

Member Bio
Reaction score
After recently moving into a condo unit, I noticed that the door to the oven does not close properly. in fact, it doesn't close completely and it seems like one of the hinges are bent.

there is a condition of inspection of chattels on a pre-closing visit, which we checked and the oven was working at that time. after receiving the keys, and closing the deal, was when I discovered the malfunction in the oven door. the problem is now that the offer is firm, and the transaction has closed, what can i do to fix this problem? is the previous owner no longer bound by contract to fix the chattel?

You should have a 30-day report to fill in. Note it there.
Sounds like a resale so probably no 30 day report. Check to see if the oven is still under warranty. I suspect replacing or fixing a hinge is relatively simple and inexpensive. probably not worth getting lawyers involved before finding out what the repair costs are. You could probably figure out how to do it yourself by searching the internet.

Chattels and Fixtures in most cases do not carry warranty. As such, it will be difficult for you to hold the previous owner liable. Plus the fact that you signed off on the pre-closing inspection that all was well doesn't help your case.

Maybe you can have your agent speak to their agent about some form of compensation. If they are nice people they should agree to something. Otherwise it may not be worth the hassle.

Chattels and Fixtures in most cases do not carry warranty.
An oven may have a warranty provided by the manufacturer. You should have your agent ask the sellers if they have the warranty documentation (if you don't have it) after you ask them to fix it as suggested.

Back