News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If they can't live with Erin O'Toole, they definitely couldn't live with Charest. I think it is pretty clear that the red Tories doesn't have a future in the Conservatives.

AoD

Well, I think that depends on Charest's ability to takeover the party.
Its not as if this hasn't been done before, both in Canada and elsewhere.

One of the shortcomings of our system, I would argue, is party leadership races are easily manipulated by who sells the most memberships (gains voters) during a leadership race.
But its one that exists, has been exploited, and certainly could be again.

Would that be ideal, for the Conservatives, or for Canada? I'm not so sure........
Is it 'clean' politics as most would define it, probably not.........but its certainly a plausible path to victory.

Charest would then have to effectively control and edit his caucus, but again, that's do-able.
That its perhaps too easy to do is its own concern.

But I wouldn't rule Charest out prematurely.

Edit to add:

The argument's against Charest's chances, either as leader or successful leader, have more to do with age; and with having left office in Quebec under.....less than ideal circumstances....

Well, I think that depends on Charest's ability to takeover the party.
Its not as if this hasn't been done before, both in Canada and elsewhere.

One of the shortcomings of our system, I would argue, is party leadership races are easily manipulated by who sells the most memberships (gains voters) during a leadership race.

Would that be ideal, for the Conservatives, or for Canada? I'm not so sure........
Is it 'clean' politics as most would define it, probably not.........but its certainly a plausible path to victory.

Charest would then have to effectively control and edit his caucus, but again, that's do-able.
That its perhaps too easy to do is its own concern.

But I wouldn't rule Charest out prematurely.

Edit to add:

The argument's against Charest's chances, either as leader or successful leader, have more to do with age; and with having left office in Quebec under.....less than ideal circumstances....

Takeover is relatively easy - holding it is hard. At a fundamental level he is an outsider - just as the PCs were outsiders in the marriage that lead to the current party. I think the current party has decided that it'd rather get the votes from PCC back and go from there.

AoD

Wednesday will be one month (four weeks) since O'Toole was fired. The amount of movement by the party on this seems minimal. Perhaps they don't want to be caught up in the Ontario election?

Wednesday will be one month (four weeks) since O'Toole was fired. The amount of movement by the party on this seems minimal. Perhaps they don't want to be caught up in the Ontario election?

The Ukraine crisis has probably derailed their "FREEDUMB!" platform and populist media blitz, as Canadians have just been shown what a lack of freedom actually looks like (and it's not the inability to occupy the Canadian capital, abuse its citizens and escape the rule of law for three weeks before the cops move in, as the Conservatives would claim).

Bergen got a lot of heckling and disruption at the beginning of her speech at the Ukraine protest in Ottawa today.

So, I suspect they are figuring out what to throw at the wall next, hoping it sticks.

Last edited:
Patrick Brown is apparently mulling a run for the leadership. Imagine if he managed to become leader, and then PM? He could gain sweet revenge on Doug Ford and the Ontario PC's for their ruthless betrayal of him...

There are those who think it is more democratic for a few tens of thousands of party members to select the leader than by the party MPs who are each elected by more people. I'm not a fan of how political parties work. They are way too easy to capture.

I haven't seen these details until now. Not sure if they are new or not.

The party says candidates will have until April 19 to enter the race and until June 3 to submit membership applications.
The new leader will be named Sept. 10 (this is the Saturday after Labour Day)
It's going to be a long summer of intra-party conflicts.

He actually found something I begrudgingly say he was sort of good at. And now he's already to move on?!?

C'mon, that was always just a placeholder to keep him in the public eye until a bigger opportunity arose. It's friggin' Brampton.

Just in time for Patrick Brown's run at the Federal Conservative leadership........he and CTV have come to terms on a settlement over their reporting that caused his downfall as Provincial PC leader.

Story via The Star: (currently paywalled at time of posting)

The following is excerpted from the above:

“Patrick Brown and CTV have resolved their legal dispute,” according to a statement agreed upon by the two parties.

“On Jan. 24, 2018, four months before a provincial election, CTV broadcast a segment concerning Patrick Brown.
Key details provided to CTV for the story were factually incorrect and required correction,” it continues.

“CTV National News regrets including those details in the story and any harm this may have caused to Mr. Brown.”

Both Brown and CTV said they would have no further comment on the settlement or any other terms."

Whatever one thinks of Brown, the reporting was misleading, to say the least.

What's interesting timing on the settlement........

Last edited:
What goes around, comes around...
The year is 1999 and national PC Party Youth president Patrick Brown, a ‘diehard Jean Charest supporter,’ is in a big public fight with University of Calgary Conservative Club president Pierre Poilievre over uniting with the Reform Party.

Back