8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ksun

Member Bio
Reaction score
China town is dominated by Cantonese style restaurants. But we all know that's just one kind of food among many in China. Have you tried any non-Cantonese Chinese restaurants downtown, and which one did you like most?

We talk about downtown, or the Old City here, not including Scarborough, Richmond Hill or Markham, because that is a game on a completely different level (where pretty everything is more authentic and with higher quality and better value).

You're better off posting this question in Chowhound. A friend of ours from China said there's a good Szechuan/Sichuan restaurant somewhere in Chinatown but forgot the name. Otherwise, all the good Chinese restaurants of any style is up in Markham/Richmond Hill.

China town is dominated by Cantonese style restaurants. But we all know that's just one kind of food among many in China. Have you tried any non-Cantonese Chinese restaurants downtown, and which one did you like most?

We talk about downtown, or the Old City here, not including Scarborough, Richmond Hill or Markham, because that is a game on a completely different level (where pretty everything is more authentic and with higher quality and better value).

I think this is not Cantonese - Chung King Szechwan - Szechuan restaurant - I tried it and it was okay for the price. It was good, but prices were more expensive compared to other Chinese restuarants I have been to.

All the more reason to check them out!

CTB is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall but has great northern Chinese dishes. Try the dan dan noodles. Also great dumplings. On Dundas west of Spadina.
Mother's is easily among the best places in Toronto for dumplings. On Spadina south of College.
Noodle Face is a newish, modern place on Baldwin, serves Beijing-style noodle soups. If you like ramen, check this place out for contrast. Service can be slow but the food is tasty.

Most of the good non-Cantonese Chinese food I've eaten in Toronto has been in Scarborough and the suburbs. I've had Schezuan, hakka, and uyghur cuisine. The last one is my favorite, very very delicious and the special spices they use give a very unique sensation. Well worth it.

I've liked this place called Asian Legend.

Doesn't count - they have locations all over the GTA. And my mother refuses to eat at the one in Chinatown. One time, she and my dad were having dinner there and the clients over at the next table were given the wrong order. Unfortunately, they had already touched it before they informed a staff member. The staff member took it back to the kitchen and replated it rather than discarding it. My mom assumed that the SAME PLATE was given to another client. If she has an Asian Legend craving, she'll go up to its Leslie/Finch location, thank you very much.

I like Lee Chen, personally. And Regal Chinese for fake/Canadianized stuff (I'm ashamed to say I like this kind of "Chinese" food). Their chicken balls actually have CHICKEN (rather than batter dominant).

ETA: Do places like Mean Bao count as "Chinese," or is it "Jook Sing" ("hollow bamboo" - a "slur" many immigrants use for Canadians born Chinese (or Chinese Canadians who came as young children))/"fusion" food?

Never understood the appeal of chicken balls - if that's what I wanted, nuggets, which carries far better seasoning would have been preferable - and let's not speak of the sweet and sour sauce in the most unnatural shade of red (from Red No. 40, no doubt).

As to Asian Legend - the chain actually started off in the Spadina Chinatown as a hole in the wall - far better quality then.

AoD

Surprisingly, I do see a lot of Asian people eating at Asian Legend. I think the clear distinction between authentic Chinese food versus modern, hipper trendy Chinese eateries is actually evolving. Gone are the days where you have to choose between pure authentic Chinese cuisine on Spadina which may or may not even have English writing on the menu...and Mr. Pong's takeout with the stereotypical stylized "Chinese style" English lettering showcasing their chicken balls special and free fortune cookie with every combo.

I've been to many modern-looking, clean, trendy Asian restaurants in Markham that are run by Asians and frequented by Asians, both young and old. I just think it's a different mindset than in the past, where Chinese food equated to cheap, fast and unrefined.

Surprisingly, I do see a lot of Asian people eating at Asian Legend. I think the clear distinction between authentic Chinese food versus modern, hipper trendy Chinese eateries is actually evolving. Gone are the days where you have to choose between pure authentic Chinese cuisine on Spadina which may or may not even have English writing on the menu...and Mr. Pong's takeout with the stereotypical stylized "Chinese style" English lettering showcasing their chicken balls special and free fortune cookie with every combo.

I've been to many modern-looking, clean, trendy Asian restaurants in Markham that are run by Asians and frequented by Asians, both young and old. I just think it's a different mindset than in the past, where Chinese food equated to cheap, fast and unrefined.

I never thought of Asian Legend as "faux Chinese" - most items are just as "real" as the stuff you get at a non-chain Markham Chinese restaurant. In fact, most locations I've been to had a predominantly East Asian clientele.

Back