News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/01/08/is-your-tv-lineup-the-walking-dead.html

Still, à la carte costs on top of the mandated skinny basic could be greater than those for the existing multi-channel bundles and some have questioned whether a pick-and-pay regime will result in lower overall prices for television services.

For big distributors, the changes could be neutral to operating earnings if individual channel prices can offset lower revenue from TV services, Barclays analyst Phillip Huang said in a note referring to Cogeco Cable.

Research commissioned by advocacy groups and media unions, meanwhile, forecasts as many as 7,000 direct job losses as a result of the new rules, but the CRTC says the analysis is based on an assumption that 40 per cent of specialty channels will fail, which is says overstates the case.

We've toured a couple "older" suites (built in the 80's) that include cable in their monthly fees. None of them had cable jacks in the bedrooms, and there was only one location in the living room. In one case, it was exactly where we wouldn't want to put our TV due to our particular type of setup. :)

I have no idea how difficult it is to properly run cable splits to multiple rooms, or to an opposite wall. I'm not talking about drilling simple passthrough holes in walls or running cable along baseboards, I mean a complete in-wall professional installation. And if you do split your main feed, would the monthly fee increase due to extra outlets (which is a BS charge anyway, but that's an argument for another day)?

When we moved in we moved our jacks around. I wanted one in the kitchen, the spousal unit wanted one in the man cave, neither of us wanted one in the bedroom. However, we made some mistakes:

(1) We had the cables run under the baseboards we installed. That means they can't easily be upgraded.
(2) Turns out the actual cable used the contractor who did our renovations was low-quality and the signal degraded by the time it reached the kitchen.
(3) See (1)

Back