News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When do you merge in a merging lane?

• As early as you can.

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • At the end of the merge lane.

Votes: 23 36.5%

• Total voters
Many of the posters here didn't deserve to pass test and get the license.
HTA is clear here: when you merge to a line you have to yield to the incoming traffic. Period!
People that don't change the line (in this case left line to you) have right of the way. Period. Same as when you are overtaking.
You are allowed to merge when it is safe to merge - meaning when there is gap and when your speed is matched with the traffic.
There is no early or late merging issue - you are merging when it is safe. When you are at the end of the merging line and no gaps in the traffic, what then? You have to stop, unless you are willing to break another traffic law.
Why the merging is never the problem in EU countries, but only here?!

Please be advised that we are specifically discussing merging in congested rush hour traffic. If you re-read the previous comments, we are mostly in accordance that in free-flowing traffic, you merge when it is safe to do so, as per the HTA.

Why the merging is never the problem in EU countries, but only here?!
It's my understanding that some European countries are more used the zipper merge without needing signage -- people are encouraged to go 50-50 when merging, so they more actively often work together to make sure exactly one (and only exactly one car, not zero car or two cars) merges ahead of them.

Places like New Zealand, some U.S. states (not all of them), strongly encourage zipper merges using signs like these:

merge-like-a-zip-chch-style_1226307320[1].jpg

(source: New Zealand)

Sometimes zipper merge is encouraged/recommended or mandatory of road rules, and part of Driver's Ed, for that region in the world. So foreign car renters observe such unusual politeness at merges in specific countries.

In other parts, it's just construction-zone signage, like in Saskatchewan here in Canada:

merging[1].jpg

(source: cbc)

Attachments

• merge-like-a-zip-chch-style_1226307320[1].jpg
    merge-like-a-zip-chch-style_1226307320[1].jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 3,910
  • merging[1].jpg
    merging[1].jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 3,838
Last edited:
^ Those signs are a great idea. In free-flowing traffic, the zipper technique isn't quite as relevant since you're travelling at higher speeds and will naturally merge in as soon as it's safe to do so. In stop-and-go traffic, the zipper really is the most efficient method of merging, resulting in the least amount of traffic disruption.

If more drivers followed the zipper technique, there'd be better flow of traffic and fewer drivers getting upset and tailgating to prevent someone from merging in at the converging point, which actually disrupts traffic flow further for everyone behind them.

Several years ago I completely changed my driving style. Up until that time I drove like a victim, where everyone was out to block me, take my place or otherwise take from me, and I had to be aggressive to avoid being the victim, including all the swearing and handing waving that comes with the attitude. This wasn't intentional, and I only came to this realization when I read about "driving like a victim". It was a cathartic moment for me.

Now I drive like I'm part of a big dance, which means I intentionally let people in, especially when no one else will, follow (but not fanatically) correct rights of way and lane discipline and generally am much calmer when I drive, and I get to my destination pretty much in the same time as my previous "victim" self. That doesn't mean I'm that nuisance driver in front of you, as I'm passing or fast in the left, never doddle on advanced greens, never meander to the right lane on a two lane left turn, never tailgate, etc.

Being a motorcyclist made me a better car driver I think.

Last edited:
It's a two way street really. The driver in the open lane allows for and gives space to a merging vehicle, but driver in the ending lane must also adjust to the flow of traffic. The zipper technique when everyone follows it. What happens when one driver follows a bit to closely shutting out the next merging vehicle. Or the next merging vehicle decides to swing around the first merging vehicle in order to gain two car lengths on traffic. What do you do about the famous sb Allen road left turn at Eglinton where rogue drivers use the right turn lane (which tends to move a bit more than the left turn lane) only to jump into the left turn lane at the last minute, or similarly those who use the merging lane as a way to bypass traffic even though they have not come from said ramp.

All show selfish driving habits, indicative of the me first attitude in North America.

Video of zipper merge

[video=youtube;ZcPby71TNC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPby71TNC0[/video]

A good start would be removing the need to unexpectantly merge as much as possible. For example, 427 north, why do the two right driving lanes end abruptly at Derry Rd, while the two passing lanes carry on? One should be able to drive in the right lane from Sarnia/Windsor to Cornwall without having to change lanes. It's no wonder transport trucks sit in the middle lanes, as they can't rely on the right lane not vanishing.

Honestly, who designed our highways? Decreasing radius ramps, dangerous shoulders, exits/entries that start with two lanes and then reduced to one, vanishing right lanes...... It doesn't look like any thought was given to maintaining flow.

Last edited:
A good start would be removing the need to unexpectantly merge as much as possible. For example, 427 north, why do the two right driving lanes end abruptly at Derry Rd, while the two passing lanes carry on? One should be able to drive in the right lane from Sarnia/Windsor to Cornwall without having to change lanes. It's no wonder transport trucks sit in the middle lanes, as they can't rely on the right lane not vanishing.

Honestly, who designed our highways? Decreasing radius ramps, dangerous shoulders, exits/entries that start with two lanes and then reduced to one, vanishing right lanes...... It doesn't look like any thought was given to maintaining flow.

Great example is 427 / QEW interchange. The on-ramp from West Mall onto westbound QEW is not very long, and all traffic has to merge onto a lane that actually exits at Dixie only a short distance away. The result is one of the greatest peak traffic snarls in the GTA. If you look at that local pollution map that was in the papers a few weeks ago, the red cloud at 427 / QEW is because of this traffic jam.

Bah, after a while you learn that some driving rules can be bent somewhat as no two drivers are the same. For example my buddy's son is now learning how to drive and between observing his dad (my friend) and driving classes there are situations arising where the 'ideal' or rules are bent in the real world. Example: driving school teaches the hand over hand turning technique, but my buddy doesn't do this as he is worried about getting his hands tangled and I tend to do the hand over hand once and then palm steer the rest of the way.

I heard that driving schools tend not to teach hand-over-hand these days because there's a danger that if you're involved in a collision while you do that, the airbag will throw your crossed arms up into your face. I could be wrong, though - it seems like an unlikely scenario.

I've also heard that instructors don't like the 'arm on passenger seat' technique for reversing because you can't manoeuvre as well with one hand, but that may just be something I was taught ... long ago.

As for merging, for me it's about matching the speed and finding a suitable gap at that speed, not necessarily early or late, although I prefer not to leave it to the end because not seeming able to get in creates a bunch of anxiety! I do wish the idea of merging like a zip were commonplace here instead of the widespread attitudes of 'I'm not letting anyone in front of me!' vs 'Screw you, I've waited long enough, I'm moving over'.

Great example is 427 / QEW interchange. The on-ramp from West Mall onto westbound QEW is not very long, and all traffic has to merge onto a lane that actually exits at Dixie only a short distance away. The result is one of the greatest peak traffic snarls in the GTA. If you look at that local pollution map that was in the papers a few weeks ago, the red cloud at 427 / QEW is because of this traffic jam.

I'm sure they'd widen the stretch past Dixie if they could but I doubt there's any room to do so. That curve on the 403 in Mississauga linking the 401/410 is pretty bad as well. Always huge backups in both directions especially during rush hour.

I'm sure they'd widen the stretch past Dixie if they could but I doubt there's any room to do so. That curve on the 403 in Mississauga linking the 401/410 is pretty bad as well. Always huge backups in both directions especially during rush hour.

Yeah, it's pretty tight.

Maybe they could look at turning North Service Road east of Dixie into part of the QEW itself. The connection north to the residential road (Brentano, I think) would be closed.

Yeah, it's pretty tight.

Maybe they could look at turning North Service Road east of Dixie into part of the QEW itself. The connection north to the residential road (Brentano, I think) would be closed.

I'm sure that could be a possibility in the future to help ease the bottleneck although I would expect a huge backlash from locals.

I know they're looking to add HOV lanes west of Hurontario to link up with the HOV lanes further west by Trafalgar. Last I heard the MTO was twinning the bridge over the Credit River but it seems work has stalled on that front. Not sure what happened.

Traffic should ALWAYS merge like a zipper. The only variable is the speed of traffic. If the speed is relatively high the zipper becomes substantially longer, which makes it seem like you're not merging right at the end, but you are merging as close to the end as it is safe to do so. As traffic slows down the zipper compresses up to the very end. People merging too early in slow traffic or people merging too late for their speed are the problem and are often what causes the traffic to slow down in the first place.

Last edited:
Traffic should ALWAYS merge like a zipper. The only variable is the speed of traffic. If the speed is relatively high the zipper becomes substantially longer, which makes it seem like you're not merging right at the end, but you are merging as close to the end as it is safe to do so. As traffic slows down the zipper compresses up to the very end. People merging too early in slow traffic or people merging too late for their speed are the problem and are often what causes the traffic to slow down in the first place.

Amen. Agreed on all points. I'm glad most of us are in accordance. Now if only all drivers on the road would realize this and not take offence when other drivers line up to complete the zipper pattern...

Several years ago I completely changed my driving style. Up until that time I drove like a victim, where everyone was out to block me, take my place or otherwise take from me, and I had to be aggressive to avoid being the victim, including all the swearing and handing waving that comes with the attitude. This wasn't intentional, and I only came to this realization when I read about "driving like a victim". It was a cathartic moment for me.

Now I drive like I'm part of a big dance, which means I intentionally let people in, especially when no one else will, follow (but not fanatically) correct rights of way and lane discipline and generally am much calmer when I drive, and I get to my destination pretty much in the same time as my previous "victim" self. That doesn't mean I'm that nuisance driver in front of you, as I'm passing or fast in the left, never doddle on advanced greens, never meander to the right lane on a two lane left turn, never tailgate, etc.

Being a motorcyclist made me a better car driver I think.

Amen bro! I hole heartedly agree with you and applaud you, pat on the back

Back