News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Toronto sorely lacks condo buildings specifically designed for the requirements of seniors - the choices are either rental buildings such as Belmont House, Fellowship Towers, the Briton House, Hazelton Place etc. ( with monthly fees starting at $2,500, which covers a range of options including meals, housekeeping, and access to medical staff ) ... or quasi-condo "life lease" arrangements such as Christie Gardens, which are purchased but where seniors still have to pay for a package that includes meals; or a life lease such as Hearthstone by the Bay; or more modest places such as the smallish life lease Sahil Gardens at Bayview and Davisville which has a common room, but no onsite medical personnel. Beyond that, it's a choice of either buying a condo along with the rest of the population that isn't designed with bathrooms and kitchens and wider halls and low cabinets etc. suitable for this group of people ... or moving to places out of town, such as Mississauga ( which has more condos designed for seniors' needs ).
And on top of that consider that many 65-75 year old retirees with no significant health limitations don't want to live in a "seniors building" but still want wide hallways, shower enclosures, etc so they dont have to move in case their mobility does become limited. For a city with this many condos, it sure comes up short meeting the needs of this segment.

Minto Midtown is mixed bag but compared to all the Condos in the GTA, yes, you can say there are more younger people.

I just bought in the area personally (88 Broadway) I had a look at a lot of Minto units as well. They're nice, you really do pay a premium for the higher floors and considering your situation you might want to look for a lower level.

900 Mt Pleasant had some nice units as well as pointed above. Regarding the point of being off the main drag there's some advantage in that but it's a matter of taste - that's not what led me to go with 88 Broadway over Minto but it helped a bit.

Panache is another good option btw! Soho lofts are nice but the condo fees are through the roof.

While I'm at it, I might as well recommend checking out the condominium townhouses on Redpath just south on Yonge. You get a big more for your dollar there.
88 Broadway: great choice! I looked at floor plans there a couple of years ago but didn't buy because we ended up deciding to stay in Boston for a bit longer. How do you like it? I should really ask them to take a look there. What do you think of the Republic (besides that it's pricey) and the concept of the high school/condo complex?

I dont think they need a balcony, so 7 Broadway might be worth looking into.

My sister lives at 900 Mt. Pleasant. I haven't been to her place yet but the floor plan and photos looks great. I think my parents should be a bit closer to Yonge.

88 Broadway: great choice! I looked at floor plans there a couple of years ago but didn't buy because we ended up deciding to stay in Boston for a bit longer. How do you like it? I should really ask them to take a look there. What do you think of the Republic (besides that it's pricey) and the concept of the high school/condo complex?

I dont think they need a balcony, so 7 Broadway might be worth looking into.

My sister lives at 900 Mt. Pleasant. I haven't been to her place yet but the floor plan and photos looks great. I think my parents should be a bit closer to Yonge.

Haven't moved in yet :) Taking possession come May.

If a balcony isn't an issue I would really consider some of the units in Panache on the lower floors! When we looked into they were definitely some of the best values in terms of price per square footage in the area for newer buildings.

Republic has a good builder going for it (tridel ...) but at the same rate I'm not sure about the whole concept either - condo with a school on top of it :confused: If it's done right it should be okay you'd reckon. I've seen a few units come up for sale on MLS somehow. From tridel it self it seems a bit pricey for the area given the current situation. Hopefully they'll drop soon though.

Might as well get the rest out. 43 Eglinton, one block east of Yonge at Holly, is a fairly standard concrete block but about as close to Y&E as your going to get. Just to the south is 30 Holly St., an older building with extra large suites close to 1200 sq ft and condo fees to match, around $800, but an older demographic I would guess. 123 Eglinton at Redpath is another Tridel building and seems to be well regarded but I've not been in it, an older demo too I've heard.

Before they sell the family jewel (the house), why don't they spend a week in your sister's condo to see if they even like condo/apartment living?

Believe it or not, their best option may be to keep the house, or just buy a smaller bungalow in the same 'hood.

And on top of that consider that many 65-75 year old retirees with no significant health limitations don't want to live in a "seniors building" but still want wide hallways, shower enclosures, etc so they dont have to move in case their mobility does become limited. For a city with this many condos, it sure comes up short meeting the needs of this segment.

Yes, and the principles of universal design are intended to remove barriers for everyone, make buildings equally accessible to all, and enable the design objects we use in our daily lives to be equally useful to all - thus making the concept of "not wanting to live in a seniors building" redundant.

Before they sell the family jewel (the house), why don't they spend a week in your sister's condo to see if they even like condo/apartment living?

Believe it or not, their best option may be to keep the house, or just buy a smaller bungalow in the same 'hood.
They used to live in one of the older high-rise condos in Harbourfront, so they already know what condo living is like, but I think trading places for a week will allow them to get to know the Y/E neighbourhood better and see if they like it.

They're house is a pain to get to by public transportation. It's only accessible by bus, and the bus is relatively infrequent. And there is nothing within walking distance except a small grocery store and convenience store. That's why they end up driving everywhere. They even drive to take their walks downtown because they like being able to have coffee, people watch, window shop etc while they are out. There are probably some bungalows still left around the Yonge line from Eglinton to Rosedale. I'll have a look. Great suggestions!

Back