News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

You mean, *in* High Park? Yeah, sure, if you got a scraggly beard and stink of urine

I'm in Corktown now, but am jonesing for Riverside.

While I don't go north of Bloor as a matter of policy, I LOVE the midcentury modern homes of Don Mills. I'd prefer a street that is free of more recent pomo stucco infill.

Some streets in and near Yorkville that still have rowhouses/townhouses too.

To sumamrize: Riverside/Don Mills/Yorkville.

St. Lawrence Market!

Personally, after 6 years in the St. Lawrence Market area, I can't envisioning moving elsewhere. My wife and I would like a bigger place, but we both agree we wouldn't leave the neighbourhood. Anywhere in the King East to Parliament to Esplanade to Yonge box is great, really, and maybe even bit further east than that.

The best thing to me is that it's such a walkable neighbourhood: 3 major grocery chains, the SLM itself, financial district, every bank, the Eaton Centre (once in a while), Dundas Square, Rainbow and AMC theatres, Harbourfront, the Distillery, a zillion restaurants and pubs... are all within a reasonable walk. Plus the King streetcar passes through if you need transit.

Another thing I like is the mix: on King you have furniture stores that sell tables worth half as much as my condo. A block south there are co-op apartments with many low-income tenants and mom-and-pop restaurants with $5 dinner specials. People are from all different backgrounds, ages, income levels, countries, etc, yet there is still a strong sense of neighbourhood with community events, community gardens, etc. While there is still a bit of scruffiness there's not a major visible homeless or panhandling problem. We have a few local street characters but I recognize them in their normal spots, and they are not aggressive like I've experienced other parts of the city.

There are also some beautiful parks (St. James, Berczy, Crombie) and great historical architecture (Distillery, King East, St. James Cathedral, Flatiron, Front and Church, etc.) Finally, the fact that the waterfront and West Donlands developments are now underway will only make this area more vibrant and central in the future. If the DRL ever becomes a reality it would be perfect.

In some condo ( One City Hall, maybe, because it's built on the site of Lucky Buddha Gift Shop, where my partner used to work ... ) at Bay and Dundas because it's dead centre - and within easy walking distance - of so many of the places I occasionally animate with my vivacious presence: the opera/ballet house, Roy Thomson Hall, the AGO, the ROM and the Gardiner, the Textile Museum, the harbour, the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, shops, restaurants, parks, galleries, busy street life when I want it and the quiet of the Financial District on Sunday afternoons when Copland's Quiet City plays in my head when I don't.

But I prefer it where I am - in the Summer Palace, across the great divide of the Don Valley, in the sunny uplands of deepest Riverdale, at home.

I almost rented a room in a house on Draper in 1980 when I returned from Shocker's European Tour. I came that close.

wow, now I feel a bit weird since it seems I'm the only one who doesn't want to live downtown :eek:

Last edited:
Personally, after 6 years in the St. Lawrence Market area, I can't envisioning moving elsewhere. My wife and I would like a bigger place, but we both agree we wouldn't leave the neighbourhood. Anywhere in the King East to Parliament to Esplanade to Yonge box is great, really, and maybe even bit further east than that.

The best thing to me is that it's such a walkable neighbourhood: 3 major grocery chains, the SLM itself, financial district, every bank, the Eaton Centre (once in a while), Dundas Square, Rainbow and AMC theatres, Harbourfront, the Distillery, a zillion restaurants and pubs... are all within a reasonable walk. Plus the King streetcar passes through if you need transit.

Another thing I like is the mix: on King you have furniture stores that sell tables worth half as much as my condo. A block south there are co-op apartments with many low-income tenants and mom-and-pop restaurants with $5 dinner specials. People are from all different backgrounds, ages, income levels, countries, etc, yet there is still a strong sense of neighbourhood with community events, community gardens, etc. While there is still a bit of scruffiness there's not a major visible homeless or panhandling problem. We have a few local street characters but I recognize them in their normal spots, and they are not aggressive like I've experienced other parts of the city.

There are also some beautiful parks (St. James, Berczy, Crombie) and great historical architecture (Distillery, King East, St. James Cathedral, Flatiron, Front and Church, etc.) Finally, the fact that the waterfront and West Donlands developments are now underway will only make this area more vibrant and central in the future. If the DRL ever becomes a reality it would be perfect.

You sure know how to sell St. Lawrence Market PG. If it wasn't already first on my list as an alternative neighbourhood to live in, I'd have to go back and edit my post!

Say, are there any decent alternative video stores in the area? Don't tell me Blockbu$ter or Roger$ (I'd stick pins in my eyes before I'd enter either one), something like a Queen Video/Review Video/Suspect/7&24 type video (well, DVD) store. St. Lawrence Market offers everything I love, but I haven't come across a video store where I could rent the usual Hollywood crap, foreign, alternative & generally offbeat type films down there. That's very important to me should I decide to take the plunge and make the big move in the next year or so.

You sure know how to sell St. Lawrence Market PG. If it wasn't already first on my list as an alternative neighbourhood to live in, I'd have to go back and edit my post!

Say, are there any decent alternative video stores in the area? Don't tell me Blockbu$ter or Roger$ (I'd stick pins in my eyes before I'd enter either one), something like a Queen Video/Review Video/Suspect/7&24 type video (well, DVD) store. St. Lawrence Market offers everything I love, but I haven't come across a video store where I could rent the usual Hollywood crap, foreign, alternative & generally offbeat type films down there. That's very important to me should I decide to take the plunge and make the big move in the next year or so.

Has Netflix come to Canada yet?

wow, now I feel a bit weird since it seems I'm the only one who doesn't want to live downtown :eek:
I used to live downtown (13 years in fact), but got irritated with the lack of space. So, I now live in the Scarborough Bluffs, and like it a lot. Quieter and much more space, and my neighbours are way friendlier, but if I want to get downtown it's 20 minutes non-rush hour and 30 minutes rush hour. Need a car though.

Lots of park land with great views of the water, with good road biking and some mountain bike paths as well.

I considered The Beach, but the prices of homes near the water were too high IMO, esp. given the lot sizes. I also considered some of the areas north of St. Clair in the city core, but again I felt the price premium on homes was too high. $750000 for a tear down (run down bungalow) isn't very enticing.

As for the commute, I don't actually work downtown. The commute is roughly the same from where I live now in the Bluffs compared to when I lived downtown. (At most 5 minutes longer on some days during rush hour, which means up to 30 minutes total on really bad days.)

P.S. For moving away from downtown, my criterion for a place to move to was a maximum 30 minute commute to downtown and to my workplace during rush hour. I was overjoyed to find out that the Bluffs fit that criteria, yet still can have such idyllic surroundings.

Last edited:
I live in the Annex and I hope to stay here forever. I love it. Such a nice mix of people and things. Busy main roads and quiet tree lined side-streets.

I was born in Scarborough and lived there until I was 21.. I tried living in the Beaches and Dundas and Ossington before moving here but I didn't like those places nearly as much.

Yeah, there's a Rogers Video and Front & Sherbourne (I think). Who rents movies anymore though? That's what the internet is for! :D

Back