8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

condostar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I will be moving into a condo in it's occupancy phase. I am just wondering if i am also required to pay utilities (hydro) or is that covered in the "phantom mortgage"? Thanks!

If Hydro is not included on your occupancy fees, which is the standard now with new buildings, then yes, you are required to pay it separately since the day you move in

However, you may not get the bill for the first few months, but when you do get it, it will be a big one because it will cover a period of 3-4 months. So you might want to put aside the money rather than be surprised by a big bill down the road.

However, you may not get the bill for the first few months, but when you do get it, it will be a big one because it will cover a period of 3-4 months. So you might want to put aside the money rather than be surprised by a big bill down the road.

No, the account should be opened either by the builder or the owner on occupancy date and you should receive your bill without any problem. Just make sure you bring this up to your lawyer on occupancy to have the papers done for the Hydro account.

Didn't happen in at least one building. Folks started moving in in January and no one got a bill til about June.

Even though the account is opened, it can take a while. When our condo switched over to individual metering, it took 3-4 months before bills started arriving.

I will be moving into a condo in it's occupancy phase. I am just wondering if i am also required to pay utilities (hydro) or is that covered in the "phantom mortgage"? Thanks!

You will end up paying for it eventually.

When our condo was occupied, the builder asked us to sign up for a Hydro account. The bill came 2 months later.

Back