News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm confused ... why is a single man who wasn't even living with someone at the time, having sex with a woman a worse scandal than all the stuff that came out about Ford during the election: the drug charges, the criminal conviction for drunk driving, the falsification of his resume that said he was 2 credits short of graduating University rather than being a 2-time first-year drop-out, lying about each and every one of these, etc.

I'm not saying that it's ethically worse, cause it isn't, obviously. But, when it comes to informing the great unwashed, the media treats a sex scandal like it's the worst crime against humanity since Nagasaki. Example: Clinton got partially impeached for Monica-gate. Reagan, on the other hand, despite Iran-Contra, got an airport in Washington named after him and deification as the greatest Republican since Lincoln.

In the case of Giambrone and Ford, I think a lot has to do with timing and personality. Everyone already knew that Ford was an obnoxious, drunk, ignorant, bullying lout so all the dirt that came out in the last month of the campaign didn't provide any game changing new information. Giambrone, on the other hand, was this squeaky clean, young, ambitious keener and that image didn't jibe with the "scandal" that occurred in the midst of the campaign. The media reacted as one would expect and the party was over.

Last edited:
The Giambrone "sex scandal" could have been stick handled far better. Here's what he should have done: released a statement admitting that, as an unmarried man, he has had relationships with a bunch of women. Then indicate that his private life is private and he wants to focus on the issues.

Instead, he did this: denied the allegation, even though it was true. When confronted with emails and text messages, his campaign team forged an email. When called on that, he held a big teary press conference where he read only the first page of his two-page-long prepared statement. His assistant had to read the second page for him, which was the part that announced the end of his mayoral bid.

Rob Ford's scandals are, objectively, far worse than Giambrone's ever was. But Ford's team knew how to handle them in the best Canadian tradition: acknowledge the allegation, express quiet regret (if necessary), then demand everyone move on and focus on the issues. It's a simple formula.

I'd forgotten about the cover-up part. I just remember being bombarded by the story every hour on CBC that day and finally having to switch the damn radio off in exasperation. So, really, it's the coverage that kills you. And the media drove that narrative into the ground while giving Ford's various transgressions a nod and a wink. (Oh, what's he gone and done now?...)

I think Ford and Giambrone's respective scandals played into their narratives in different ways. Ford was relying on his image as an outsider and a rebel; someone who was going to come in and shake things up. While his problems with the law and education probably didn't help him, they did help solidify this image and that neutralized their impact.

On the other hand, one of Giambrone's biggest risks was being seen as an egotistical elite who was living high off the public purse and sinking money into his pet projects. The fact that he was using his office to have sex with mistresses played right into this negative image.

The more that I get to know Matlow, the more that I think that he will run, and win -- one day. Will he be ready to take on Rob Ford in 2014? I'm not quite sure. He's going to need a couple of terms as councillor to get the wit to run. He's very knowledgeable about how the city is run and it come across how much he truly cares about Toronto and is absolutely able and willing to compromise with both left and right to get things done.

I wish he'd run, but then I'd be afraid that he'd lose in 2014 and we'd lose one of our best city councillors.

P.S. Miller is really done with politics. Listen to his recent interview on Newstalk1010: http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10292651. He's been courted Federally and Provincially and has said "No" to both. It's a pitty because I think he'd make an excellent Premier. I don't doubt that he'd have a real shot at it if Horwath fizzles out and the NDP leadership is left open.

P.S. ii What made David Crombie leave politics? He seems to still be engaged. I wonder if he would consider coming back to clean up the mess after Ford. In 2014, Toronto will be looking for the security of the tried and proven and a former well liked Mayor would fit the role.

That's cause he realizes Provincially and Federally, the NDP will never be able to form a government due to their unrealistic grip to the left, and of course their public sector ball and chain. Canada and the province are still composed of a majority of centrist voters.

On Matlow, there is precedence for a one term councillor to become a Mayor. Miller did it.
Matlow's biggest hinderence would be the militant left . i.e. unions, cyclist unions, anti poverty groups etc (a.k.a the hard NDpers). They are not much better than the Hard line 'Rob Ford' supporters.

The problem with this megacity - it's virtually impossible to become Mayor with out selling out to a particular party, but cities are not supposed to be party based. Unless you're a self supported billionaire like a Bloomberg, it's impossible. We have a limited few in toronto, think Thomson Family of Thomson Reuters, Weston or someoen from the Rogers family.

A list of potential:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadians_by_net_worth#Richest_Canadians_.282010_statistics.29

Last edited:
That's cause he realizes Provincially and Federally, the NDP will never be able to form a government due to their unrealistic grip to the left, and of course their public sector ball and chain. Canada and the province are still composed of a majority of centrist voters.

That's quite the declarative statement re: the federal NDP. Had Jack Layton not died, I think they would have had a very good shot at forming government at some point.

The provincial NDP is different, of course. Their problem is that they are not a very good party.

If Matlow doesn't run for mayor in the next election, I expect him to run as a PC candidate in 2016, especially if Hudak gets turfed for a more centrist, John Tory type.

Matlow's already run for provincial office--as a Liberal, vs Ernie Eves in the 2002 Dufferin et al byelection. (And somehow, he doesn't seem the sort to "pull a Rocco Rossi"--nor do the PCs seem likely to go John Tory centrist any time soon)

Matlow's already run for provincial office--as a Liberal, vs Ernie Eves in the 2002 Dufferin et al byelection. (And somehow, he doesn't seem the sort to "pull a Rocco Rossi"--nor do the PCs seem likely to go John Tory centrist any time soon)

I had no idea he had run before, though 14 years is probably enough time for everyone to forgive or forget. I don't think there would even be a slot for him to run as a Liberal in Toronto, but if he is as ambitious as I think he is, he will find a way to run in the provincial election and start working his way to Ottawa.

That's quite the declarative statement re: the federal NDP. Had Jack Layton not died, I think they would have had a very good shot at forming government at some point.

The provincial NDP is different, of course. Their problem is that they are not a very good party.

You really think jack had an opportunity? The reason the NDP are in the position they are in is simply Quebec. Take away their Quebec seats, How many additional seats did they win? Enough to challenge the PCs? Further more, do you really think they would be able to hold on to Quebec by appeasing to the seperatists AND win more seats in the rest of Canada? Will be interesting to see if the NDP will ever. NDP got to where they are because of poor Liberal leadership and being to closed off to new ideas.

There was no reason for them to call an election, but power hungry insiders couldn't wait any longer, saw an opportunity. It's too bad they flanked so left at the begining of the election, instead of being a centrist party, they might have had a shot. Too much political calculus, sometimes it works (mcGuinty) Sometimes it blows up in your face.

Last edited:
Getting Quebec is no small thing. Yes, the NDP support Quebec's status as distinct within Canada, but they're not a separatist party.

Once you have a good handle on Quebec, you're not far off from forming a government. The Liberals won majorities for years entirely off their strength in Quebec and Ontario.

The media sure do spend a lot of time and resources analyzing Olivia Chow as a candidate for Mayor in 2014. Do they know something we don't?

Rob Ford would lose to Olivia Chow, if there was an election today: poll

NDP MP Olivia Chow (Trinity-Spadina) would easily win a three-way race with Ford and talk radio host John Tory, according to poll respondents. Four out of 10 respondents said they would vote for her compared with 26 per cent for Ford and 24 per cent for Tory.

TheStar

Back