News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This has to do with demographic changes, as well. People are not looking to start families as early as they used to. As that kind of annoying person who hosts "Property Virgins" says, this is really the first time in history that women having been buying real estate by themselves en masse.

If you're in your mid-20s and single, you probably spend most of your time working or out doing things, so the size of the place you use essentially for sleeping doesn't need to be huge.

New designs and technologies have made for very efficient and comfortable small spaces.

I disagree...

However, the marketing has been good...good enough to convince a bunch of you that a combined washer dryer is good, or that an extra small dishwasher is as desirable as a kitchen with no counter space.

I disagree...

However, the marketing has been good...good enough to convince a bunch of you that a combined washer dryer is good, or that an extra small dishwasher is as desirable as a kitchen with no counter space.

I do not believe that "marketing" has anything to do with this. You disagree with my point that better suite-designs and technologies has made for a better use of space, yet you have not backed up your claim other than mentioning that "marketing has been good".

I have been using my combined washer-dryer for two years now, and I love it. Further, it takes up next to no room, and leaves a tonne of space above the washer/dryer for extra storage.

My extra small dishwasher is amazing and efficient, with no wasted counter space. Due to the tininess of my Fisher&Paykal dishwasher, it was placed directly under the sink, thus allowing for extra storage in my kitchen.

I do a lot of laundry, and I love to cook. I have never had an issue with either, and have in fact, been left with a lot of extra space.

It all really depends on the layout of the unit. I'm in a 560 sq ft unit in the Hudson but the layout is fantastic. Not an inch of wasted space. My living/dining room is larger than most of the new 2 bdrm units i'm seeing in newer buildings. My living/dining is 18x11 which is pretty large for a 1bdrm. The only problem is the lack of closet space.

You must have the Joni Mitchell. I've got the Peggy Lee which is a similar size and layout. I decided on Peggy due to the bigger closet in the bedroom. I wish I had the option of eliminating the balcony so I would have an actual dining area. We got a three seater couch which makes for a tight dining area. I want to get a hydraulic coffee table that'll double for a dining table like what I saw on the Lub episode of Restaurant Makeover. The problem is nobody makes exactly what I want.

The unit size works for a single person or a couple.

I considered the Dave Brubeck (one bedroom plus den 677 sq ft) but couldn't make the down payment schedule. Peggy was already twice the size of my previous apartment so this was a huge increase in size for me plus I was single at the time of the pre-construction purchase.

My extra small dishwasher is amazing and efficient, with no wasted counter space. Due to the tininess of my Fisher&Paykal dishwasher, it was placed directly under the sink, thus allowing for extra storage in my kitchen.

You don't like to be disagreed with, I get that.
I have no need to back anything up, you've done it for me.
There is no new technology that makes small apartments bigger, despite your claims to the contrary.
You have an extra small dishwasher....it doesn't hold as much as a full size because it has to fit under the sink. Your sink is also shallower as a result, and the storage space normally inder the sink no longer exists.
In your opinion, this is great...in my opinion, it's not.
Get over it and move on.

have a look to this link, if I am not wrong the original price of that unit was $145.000 3 years ago. With that ROI, I would not mind at all living in such a small place.http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=8729868

that's just crazy ...
passing off 410 sf as a 'junior 1 bedroom' what is really a bachelor;
almost $600 PSF for a unit that has no view worth mentioning whatsoever, right next to the round-about for the King St. streetcar.

i wouldn't doubt this is probably from BJL's own inventory.

iSlutsky said:
I have been using my combined washer-dryer for two years now, and I love it. Further, it takes up next to no room, and leaves a tonne of space above the washer/dryer for extra storage.

I do a lot of laundry, and I love to cook. I have never had an issue with either, and have in fact, been left with a lot of extra space.

combined W/D are very common in europe and asia ... one thing i don't like about though is that many place it in the kitchen ... yuk, keep it in the washroom or closet.

those Fisher & Paykal d/w are great space savers and efficient, especially for small units with 1 or 2 ppl max who won't have to wait a long time for a wash cycle.

i've never heard of a F&P d/w being a standard or upgrade item available in any TO condo ... what building are you in?

linear kitchens without any additional island storage/counter space are horrible; and are truly a marketing gimmick to save developers costs and interior designers who lack imagination.

new designs are not always a good thing ... some examples:
- washroom door opeining up directly opposite a kitchen, dining room, LR, etc ... even though it may be up to 'code' it still is disgusting.
- linear kitchens that give the impression of 'more' space on a floorplan; however, many buyers forget about the circulation space that will be required for walking around.
- long and narrow layouts that try to pass off 7' x 7' windowless area as a 'bedroom'

Last edited:
... I want to get a hydraulic coffee table that'll double for a dining table like what I saw on the Lub episode of Restaurant Makeover. The problem is nobody makes exactly what I want.

Hmm.. not sure if this would help, but check out the coffee tables made by calligaris: http://international.calligaris.it/catalogue/Occasional-furniture/Coffee-tables/9/31/1

The Eleven, Flexy and Magic-J coffee tables can be lowered and raised and the table surface either extends or folds out to double the size.

There's also this one: http://www.blvdinteriors.com/cart/product.aspx?product=03DT122

My dishwasher is going to be 24 inches. I would assume that's common or smaller than the average one?

Regarding dimensions of my 575 suite...

Living & Dining- 10 x 19.2
Bedroom - 9.2 x 12.9
Kitchen - 8.11 x 7.9
Balcony- 60 sqft
Then there's clearly the washroom, hallway and closet with W & D. The bedroom closet is going to be about 9.2 feet long. There's also 9 foot
ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. I think that's somewhat decent for
two, plus a dog?

My dishwasher is going to be 24 inches. I would assume that's common or smaller than the average one?

Regarding dimensions of my 575 suite...

Living & Dining- 10 x 19.2
Bedroom - 9.2 x 12.9
Kitchen - 8.11 x 7.9
Balcony- 60 sqft
Then there's clearly the washroom, hallway and closet with W & D. The bedroom closet is going to be about 9.2 feet long. There's also 9 foot
ceilings and floor to ceiling windows. I think that's somewhat decent for
two, plus a dog?

24" d/w is standard ... some have used 18" as space savers.

the room sizes are pretty good for the unit size, but 2 + dog might be a tight fit ... ;)

Hmm.. not sure if this would help, but check out the coffee tables made by calligaris: http://international.calligaris.it/catalogue/Occasional-furniture/Coffee-tables/9/31/1

The Eleven, Flexy and Magic-J coffee tables can be lowered and raised and the table surface either extends or folds out to double the size.

There's also this one: http://www.blvdinteriors.com/cart/product.aspx?product=03DT122

Thanks. I've seen those and they're not what I want. I don't like the scissor lift and I need the top to be glass with foldable sides.

I want this:
http://www.ideamagazine.net/en/cont/cm0407n/05jv.htm

Combined with this:
http://www.hydradesigns.com

With some further tweaks.

You don't like to be disagreed with, I get that.
I have no need to back anything up, you've done it for me.
There is no new technology that makes small apartments bigger, despite your claims to the contrary.
You have an extra small dishwasher....it doesn't hold as much as a full size because it has to fit under the sink. Your sink is also shallower as a result, and the storage space normally inder the sink no longer exists.
In your opinion, this is great...in my opinion, it's not.
Get over it and move on.

(i) I do not mind being disagreed with at all. That is the point of a forum, for discussion. If your opinion differs from mine, fine. But, it did not sound like your comment about it being a marketing gimmick was an opinion... as such, I was waiting for reasons for your statement.
(ii) Correct, there is no new technologies that makes a small apartment bigger. However, it can make it more space efficient.
(iii) Correct.. A small dishwasher does not hold as much as a large dishwasher. As such, for two people I run the dishwasher every other day as opposed to once every other week. In return, I have extra storage space.
(iv) My sink is actually a quite deep double sink, made by Frankie. It is also designed so that there is storage between the sink and the dishwasher.

All that said, I believe this is now dead? We both have different opinions, but in fact I have gained a lot of space from the new technologies! Are we also discussing more efficient layouts than seen in the 1980s?

combined W/D are very common in europe and asia ... one thing i don't like about though is that many place it in the kitchen ... yuk, keep it in the washroom or closet.

those Fisher & Paykal d/w are great space savers and efficient, especially for small units with 1 or 2 ppl max who won't have to wait a long time for a wash cycle.

i've never heard of a F&P d/w being a standard or upgrade item available in any TO condo ... what building are you in?

linear kitchens without any additional island storage/counter space are horrible; and are truly a marketing gimmick to save developers costs and interior designers who lack imagination.

new designs are not always a good thing ... some examples:
- washroom door opeining up directly opposite a kitchen, dining room, LR, etc ... even though it may be up to 'code' it still is disgusting.
- linear kitchens that give the impression of 'more' space on a floorplan; however, many buyers forget about the circulation space that will be required for walking around.
- long and narrow layouts that try to pass off 7' x 7' windowless area as a 'bedroom'

Hello,

Some points below (note, I dont seem to know how to get multiple quotes in one email, so am responding point-by-point below)...

(i) Yes, the duel washer/dryers are very common in Asia and Europe. I wonder if the bidet will ever become popular in non-luxury condos here?

(ii) Re: Fisher & Paykal -- I live in Diamante's One City Hall Condominium. I am not sure if it was a standard or an upgrade, but I THINK it was standard. I love it!

(iii) Re: Linear Kitchens -- Sounds right.. I have always had an island, or galley style kitchen, so I can not comment.. But, seems reasonable. Then again, if you are the type of person who eats out most nights, then the linear kitchen seems to make total sense.

(iv) Re: layouts -- 100% agreed. Thats why is it important to buy from a good developer (or, builder), and understand what you are buying. Many people think that reading layouts are intrinsic, which I disagree with. People spend far too little time on the layouts, and more time on the finishes.. Narrow units.. yuk.

Don't worry iSlutsky,

That guy is full of "facts" that he can't back up.. you might as well save your energy.

Back