News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It's the floor plan for Hullmark Centre. I think it's very cramped.

The other one bedroom unit is 581sqft and has better layout, but it's sold out. So I don't know if I should just buy the smaller one? I am just afraid it will be hard to sell later on.

1b_floor.gif

For when are you looking to move in? Is there a particular area you are looking for?

Jack

Here is a question:

For people living in units around the 500 SF mark, how often do you use the building amenities?

As condominiums have more extensive amenities, I would imagine that people in smaller units would treat the amenities as extensions of their actual units.

Anyone?

Hi iSlutsky,

Are you looking to purchase a unit now? What area are you looking for?

Jack

Unit sizes

Hello all,

I just have to say wow. These units have gotten smaller and smaller. I guess builders are trying to get as much money out of a space as possible. When I signed for mine back in 2005, mine was slightly above average for a 1 bedroom + den, but now, about 100 sq.ft above the average size, if not more. I've attached my floorplan and am curious to know what people think.
I'll likely be selling it immediately as well. My plans have changed since I signed.
That's the sad thing. You wait 4.5 years and won't even enjoy it. I guess the 21 months of delays had something to do with it.

Jack

Last edited:
Hi iSlutsky,

Are you looking to purchase a unit now? What area are you looking for

No. I currently own, and am quite happy. However, I am always interested in hearing what other people are looking for in a condominium.

I find amenity spaces extremely interesting, as there is a wide variety of types of amenities in buildings, and I often find myself wondering if there is any point to some of it. Bowling alleys, billiards rooms, screening rooms, and such, seem cool on paper, but do they actually get used?

So, I was trying to figure out is people in 500 SF units actually use the amenities more than the people in 1,000+ SF units. Or, if anyone uses amenities other than the standards (gym, party room, patio/terrace).

Hello all,

I just have to say wow. These units have gotten smaller and smaller. I guess builders are trying to get as much money out of a space as possible. When I signed for mine back in 2005, mine was slightly above average for a 1 bedroom + den, but now, about 100 sq.ft above the average size, if not more. I've attached my floorplan and am curious to know what people think.
I'll likely be selling it immediately as well. My plans have changed since I signed.
That's the sad thing. You wait 4.5 years and won't even enjoy it. I guess the 21 months of delays had something to do with it.

Jack

unfortunately, things can happen with ppl's lives from the time they buy and occupy.
it is sad that builder's delays augment the situation, as most of the time they won't let you assign it or anything during that time.
also providing realistic expectations for occupancy dates would help ... none of the typical 2 years from the date sales started even though ground hasn't even been broken ... rant over.

good sized main closet (~6 ft); however, the back corner will be hard to reach.

den is a good size and could be used as computer room or over-night guess room; however, the double (french?) doors impede on the usuability.

2 bathrooms for a 1 bed + den of this size is overkill IMO, but to each their own;

the U-shaped kitchen seems tight and i do not like where the sink is positioned ... there doesn't seem to be much space for a door in the corner base cabinet so how will it be accessed ???
i don't know why they didn't put it next to the d/w and just have a galley instead ...

LR/DR is large enough but the balcony door makes furniture placement awkward, or consider flipping the typical idea of LR by window and DR by kitchen.

bedroom is okay but you will have to be careful about furniture placement and sizes too b/c of the angled wall and pillar at the corner which eats up ~2ft x 2ft of the room.

layout opinion

All,

Please comment on this floorplan (597 sq ft, 1 bedroom + den):

http://www.lumierecondos.com/pdf/morning_light_597_FP.pdf

Given its location (Bay & College), what do you think its market value should be given the prices we now see in the city? (I'm just curious.)

Thanks,

R
I always liked this type of layout in a smaller unit. The wide windows across the living room/kitchen gives an open feel for a small space. This means a interior bedroom but I don't put much stock in a bedroom window. Besides, the unit is small enough that the bedroom is not far from the view.
Linear kitchens, although aren't the most functional, look slick. And again, this is likely a one-person unit so not very often you will be cooking for the masses.
Also the hallway may be a bit a wasted space, but it's nice to have some separation between the living area away from the entrance.
I think most 1-bedroom layouts in the 600 sq ft range should use a similar floorplan. It's a great formula that has worked in Spire and also in the soon to be completed 500 Wellington's showroom.
As far as the comments or jeers about having to use "condo-sized furniture"...well, what else would you expect to use in a small condo?

Don"t worry slut, woobas got your back ;)
Next time someone disagrees with you on an internet forum, I'm sure wooba will be there to give you a big hug.
Don't worry guys, I won't disagree with you or express my opinion anymore....It seems to upset too many of you. :rolleyes:

I'll conceed, new technology makes a 350SF apartment feel just like a 600SF apartment....because of small dishwashers. :D

Okay! I have been meaning to write this blog posting since this whole discussion came about.. So, here is my blog posting entitled "The Small Suite - A review of shrinking residential condominium suites, and their liveability".

In fact, Tridel has perfected the open concept linear 24-sqaure foot kitchen (12 feet long, by 2 feet wide). This design, coupled with new technologies has made the kitchen a usable and efficient place to cook and hang out.

:rolleyes: it doesn't take much of a designer to reduce the size of a kitchen.

There you have it... It is no magical illusion! The 550 square foot unit is in fact livable thanks to designs and technologies new to the North American market!

....LOL...All made possible by range hood microwave oven combos and extra small dishwashers.

The article reads like an ad.

:rolleyes: it doesn't take much of a designer to reduce the size of a kitchen.

....LOL...All made possible by range hood microwave oven combos and extra small dishwashers.

The article reads like an ad.

I do not know how to do multiple quotes in a message:

(i) "rolleyes: it doesn't take much of a designer to reduce the size of a kitchen".. That is fine, but the fact remains that developers were not doing this in Toronto until recently. The 550SF condo unit (and smaller) is a new phenomena in Toronto, and it is design changes - like that - have made it possible to make 550SF liveable. Designers could also hide the kitchen completely in order to make a 300 SF unit more liveable - I have seen this done in the UK, but not in Toronto.

(ii) "All made possible by range hood microwave oven combos and extra small dishwashers." Again, such technology changes have saved an amazing amount of space. I live in a condo, without a above range micro/vent... and, I have NO where to put my microwave. In fact, my condo unit is 1,050 SF, and I have no where to put the microwave. I have it stored in my wet-bar, which looks terrible and takes up prime space. However, I do have a two-in-one washer/dryer, which leaves me an amazing amount of extra storage over the washer/dryer.

So yes.. IMO, new designs and technologies have made the 550SF unit more liveable.

That kitchen is too large for the space. Here's my ideal kitchen:
small_kitchen_driade_.jpg

Wow! That is awesome. That would be perfect for a 300SF kitchen! I love that it closes into the closet.

I am going to try and dig up some pictures of a 300 SF unit I saw in the UK, which was the most amazing unit I have been in. Also, Mic Jagger's daughter has a development that I visited in New York with pretty crazy modual kitchens..

Amazing designs and wicked technologies on both those projects mentioned above... Anyway.. will dig later today for some photos.

As well, someone was critiquing a small unit on UT about a month ago (I think it was a unit at Ice Condos) when some questions came up re: small size--ie, what to do with all their books. My answer: Kindle.

I also put together a list of the top five rules to living in a small suite (here). While I did not go as far as using the books for kindleing, I do think that throwing out (or, giving away) as much as possible is a must!

If you are thinking about burning any good books, please send them my way, or give them to the library. Here is a list of 20 things to do with old books: here.

but the fact remains that developers were not doing this in Toronto until recently.

No kidding, it's out of greed. There was a time when the smallest 1 bedroom condo was 600SF...that's a fact too!

Again, such technology changes have saved an amazing amount of space.

Again, range hood microwave ovens and small dishwashers have been around for 35 years....this is not a breakthough.

Back