News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I always loved Annette Funicello on the original Mickey Mouse Club, back in the 1950's.

There's no thread for this project but I'm sure urbandreamer won't mind me tagging this on here. This project is called "Annette Lanes". Turned out well I think.

No, it's not modern architecture, therefore we must automatically despise it.

This may not be entirely relevant to this thread but I am unable to create a new post.

I was wondering if a plan had ever been put forward to reconfigure the Annette/Dundas/Dupont intersection. There doesn't seem to be much reason to split Dupont up the way it is now and the only thing that appears to stand in the way of a simple 4-way intersection is the difference in elevation.

Oh! Annette Street. It has a one-and-only meaning for me. Don't know if I've ever been on it twice, but the one time I was on it was threading my way across town in the worst snowstorm I've ever driven it. I'd just started a job downtown near College and Bathurst, but I was living way out in west end Mississauga. One day in March, '96, a storm came through that just creamed the city during the working day. Forget Queen Street and the Queensway, forget the Gardiner. It was driving a car like a slow needle through the packed fabric of the surface streets.

Everywhere I turned the traffic just got worse and worse. Every choice I made seemed to turn out the wrong one. Somehow I ended up in the Junction, and turned onto Annette Street... and I remember it for the same reason as Lis -- old Mickey Mouse Club reruns. So that name, out of all the dumb street choices I made, stuck in my mind.

It was a strange trip. I had a cache of single-serving peanut butter and jam packets in the glove compartment that I'd gotten somewhere, and for some reason, I actually had bread in the car. Somehow, as I crept along, I managed to get the former onto the latter and at least eat something. Just a few days earlier, a friend had bought me a used CD of The Cars eponymous first album, and I played that thing end to end three or four times on the way home. It was what sustained me. The familiarity of the tunes just drove me along, and as I recall, I gave up on the radio and the traffic reports and resorted to the music around the time I turned onto Annette. I abandoned myself to my fate there. It was liberating. I kept my eyes on road, tended to the bread when I was stopped, and hummed along. It was one of the strangest three hours of my life. I think it stands out so oddly fondly in my memory for the best of reasons. I was young. It was an adventure. Everything was new. :)

That's Annette Street.

Back