News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Untrue. Southern Ontario as a whole has the same population density as France and Spain. The extended Golden Horseshoe (GO's service area) is right in between Germany and England when it comes to density. We really need to stop using density as an excuse, this region is more heavily populated than people think.

I don't think of Southern Ontario, outside the GTA, as being particularly dense...

In any case, the spatial arrangement of density matters just as much as the raw scale of density since rail travel can lead to extremely difficult 'last mile' issues. If you get off a train in, I dunno, Barrie, what exactly are you supposed to do? Outside of the GTA (and Ottawa) most Ontario cities aren't very core centric at all.

Woodbridge_Heights said:
I once did a little study to try to connect Ontario's top 10 cities by population and found that 6 out of the 10 cities were within the Greater Golden Horseshoe where the travel distances allow the automobile to compete on travel time.

Yup, bingo. And creating a transit system which allows quick and efficient travel between Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton, Markham, Vaughan, and Durham Region, as opposed to those cities and Union Station, is next to impossible given low route demand, distance and access time issues.

P.S. For most cities in Ontario, it seems like buses would be the most feasible solution... Lots of countries which developed after WW2 rely on buses for regional intercity transport (i.e. Israel). They're really not bad and, outside of Toronto, Ontario's highways are pretty congestion free. The ability to serve specific micro-destinations (e.g. University of Guelph direct) would make up for any time lost against a notional regional high speed rail network and wouldn't take billions of dollars in funding.

Last edited:
I think commuter rail is good for hub-and-spoke network while local transit is more suited grid network. A truly comprehensive system should have both hub-and-spoke and grid networks. Commuter rail has limitations but so does local transit. And of course large region like GTA needs both regional and local services to serve everyone...

Many people would prefer to take transit versus the hassle of rush hour traffic and downtown parking costs. Commuter rail would be the transit expansion that would make the biggest difference in Detroit. They're planning a commuter train to Ann Arbor to get the ball rolling, but unfortunately, the city doesn't have a downtown railway station, so they'll need a local transit connection from New Center to downtown. Eventually, they should come up with a way of getting trains downtown. The easiest option I see would be a connection from the tracks around Michigan Central Station by underground tunnel to a station near Joe Louis Arena, which will soon close.

On second thought, I guess one way service is not a big deal. Black people wouldn't be able to use the service to commute to the suburbs.

Does Detroit really have enough of a core for commuter rail though. It's hollowed out. Detroit is like a doughnut. Maybe commuter rail will reduce parking in the core and allow for more development.

Does Detroit really have enough of a core for commuter rail though. It's hollowed out. Detroit is like a doughnut. Maybe commuter rail will reduce parking in the core and allow for more development.

Downtown Detroit is in the best shape it has been in since the early 1980s. Many of the of the abandoned or near-abandoned office towers are being repurposed. Midtown and Wayne State are doing okay. But that's about it - the city is pretty grim with few exceptions outside of the area bounded by I-94 (Edsel Ford Fwy), M-10 (Lodge), I-75/375 (Chrysler) and the Detroit River.

Downtown Detroit is pretty quiet during business hours with far more parking available than necessary/used.

Its economic growth is not restricted by private vehicle transportation issues.

Last edited:
Untrue. Southern Ontario as a whole has the same population density as France and Spain. The extended Golden Horseshoe (GO's service area) is right in between Germany and England when it comes to density. We really need to stop using density as an excuse, this region is more heavily populated than people think.

It may be true that southern Ontario has the same density as France or Germany, but there are large parts of France and Germany that aren't dense enough to support rail. Southern Ontario is about the same size as England yet it only has one quarter the population.

Also Europe has always had that density so rail was able to get established before competitive mode of transportation could get established. Southern Ontario may one day be dense enough to support a competitive regional rail network but retrofitting it in will be expensive and difficult. That may not be a challenge anyone wants to undertake.

Downtown Detroit is in the best shape it has been in since the early 1980s. Many of the of the abandoned or near-abandoned office towers are being repurposed. Midtown and Wayne State are doing okay. But that's about it - the city is pretty grim with few exceptions outside of the area bounded by I-94 (Edsel Ford Fwy), M-10 (Lodge), I-75/375 (Chrysler) and the Detroit River.

Downtown Detroit is in good shape and booming. Detroit isn't like a doughnut. The core is densely built up with office buildings and some apartments. The blight and urban prairie begins past downtown and midtown, with a few neighbourhoods fairly intact in that part of the city. Detroit's suburbs are expansive and look like normal American suburbs. LRT and subways wouldn't do much for Detroit except perhaps on Woodward, but commuter rail would be excellent. Tens of thousands of people work in downtown Detroit--mostly from the suburbs--and the city has traffic jams at rush hour.

... and the city has traffic jams at rush hour.

Get out of here. I lived at the Westin for about a month 2 summers ago and never saw more than about 5 cars deep at a light. There was some congestion at the entrance/exit of a few parking garages but the streets themselves were pretty damn clear.

Are there official traffic stats for Detroit?

The only times I've seen serious traffic in downtown Detroit was during special events or due to a backup at the tunnel entrance.

I was stuck in traffic yesterday on I-75 at 5pm. Not a complete jam, but I was driving at about 40 km/h on the freeway for 25 minutes. It's not nearly as bad as Toronto, but the freeways slow down at rush hour as everyone drives out of downtown Detroit and from suburb to suburb.

I have long said this. I would take investment in GO to turn it into a proper suburban rail service over any other project including the DRL. It would have the biggest impact on transit usage and support for transit region-wide.

Nothing will change the mentality in this region to something prioritizing transit until people can actually get around the region using transit. And to me it's, ass backwards to prioritize the short-haul last mile, like the LRT corridors, when the biggest complaints everyone has are long-haul.

This is why all those transit fees will never take off and will face massive public resistance. The public does not perceive tangible benefits if you live in an area not getting an expensive LRT or subway. On the other hand, a regional service benefits absolutely everybody in the region. Very supportable.

Just my 2 cents....

I agree with this. I think the reason why we aren't looking at more long distance transit is because it isn't as profitable as local and midrange services, where there is a constant flow of on and off passengers (hence more revenue). The reality is that for short range trips, driving, cycling, or even walking is usually far more competitive than transit, so thus it becomes primarily a vehicle for those who are unable to drive. While there are ways to make it more appealing (paid parking, transit lanes and right of ways, etc), outside the central city there is little justification for these measures.

People will use whatever mode works best for them. If they already have a car (and most people do), what is the point of dropping in a $2.70 token in a bus - each way - when you can spend less than half of that on gas for your entire trip? However if you need to get from Pickering to Brampton, or even Malvern to Long Branch, besides it likely costing more in gas than a GO or TTC fare, avoiding the stress of driving more than makes it worthwhile. However what we have now is either too slow and/or too infrequent.

I agree with this. I think the reason why we aren't looking at more long distance transit is because it isn't as profitable as local and midrange services, where there is a constant flow of on and off passengers (hence more revenue).

Is that absolutely true? The people who i know who use TTC every day for short/mid haul travel do so with a metropass...either a personal one that they use for their commutes or the couple we buy as an office to share around for our trips downtown. What is the percentage of people who use TTC regularly who use the metropass system?

If it is high then it can be argued that it does not matter how many additional services you add to relieve the current system downtown or how many people hop on and off for those short haul trips....you are not generating any significant new revenue.

Is that absolutely true? The people who i know who use TTC every day for short/mid haul travel do so with a metropass...either a personal one that they use for their commutes or the couple we buy as an office to share around for our trips downtown. What is the percentage of people who use TTC regularly who use the metropass system?

If it is high then it can be argued that it does not matter how many additional services you add to relieve the current system downtown or how many people hop on and off for those short haul trips....you are not generating any significant new revenue.

Tell this to the creative accountants at the TTC who justify having a pass priced at 50-60 rides, and no 2 hour transfers...

It is also the logic behind why downtown express buses cost extra.

Tell this to the creative accountants at the TTC who justify having a pass priced at 50-60 rides, and no 2 hour transfers...

It is also the logic behind why downtown express buses cost extra.

Not really sure what you are saying .....I wasn't actually "telling" anyone anything....I was asking what percentage/share of regular short/mid haul users have metropasses (anectdotally in my small sample size it is a lot) because if it his a high percentage then increasing the number of those short/mid haul users is not, as the poster I responded to suggested, going to significantly increase revenue.

Often (in particular Southwestern ONT) the population centres that might be connected by regional or commuter rail are too close together for rail to be time competitive vs commuting by car.

I once did a little study to try to connect Ontario's top 10 cities by population and found that 6 out of the 10 cities were within the Greater Golden Horseshoe where the travel distances allow the automobile to compete on travel time.
I don't really know what to make of this. What evidence do you have that cities close together make rail less attractive as opposed to more attractive? GO Transit makes its whole business case on short, driveable trips. Just about every urban region, like the Rhine area for example, has a dense network of regional rail lines combined with cities close together. Speaking of Germany, the vast majority of its ridership is on short trips of 21 km or less.

I don't think of Southern Ontario, outside the GTA, as being particularly dense...

In any case, the spatial arrangement of density matters just as much as the raw scale of density since rail travel can lead to extremely difficult 'last mile' issues. If you get off a train in, I dunno, Barrie, what exactly are you supposed to do? Outside of the GTA (and Ottawa) most Ontario cities aren't very core centric at all.
Much of Europe isn't particularly dense either. A smaller city like Barrie not being core centric doesn't stop it from having good rail service. Barrie and other cities like it are small enough so it's quick and easy to drive to the train station. The statistics bear that out too - when the Barrie GO line reopened ridership was triple what they were expecting, IIRC.

Yup, bingo. And creating a transit system which allows quick and efficient travel between Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton, Markham, Vaughan, and Durham Region, as opposed to those cities and Union Station, is next to impossible given low route demand, distance and access time issues.

P.S. For most cities in Ontario, it seems like buses would be the most feasible solution... Lots of countries which developed after WW2 rely on buses for regional intercity transport (i.e. Israel). They're really not bad and, outside of Toronto, Ontario's highways are pretty congestion free. The ability to serve specific micro-destinations (e.g. University of Guelph direct) would make up for any time lost against a notional regional high speed rail network and wouldn't take billions of dollars in funding.
I've seen stop and go traffic well outside of the GTA. But this thread is about regional rail, so it isn't really about anything outside the GTA/Golden Horseshoe. Interesting that you mention Israel, that's not really true of that country anymore. They have invested heavily in passenger rail since 1990, and have grown ridership ten-fold since then. What they have built in a couple decades makes our lack of rail investment look even more sad. By the way, Ontario didn't primarily develop after WW2. The settlement patterns were firmly established here by the 1800s. Israel, OTOH, did develop mostly after the war. Toronto is a much older city than, say, Tel Aviv.

It may be true that southern Ontario has the same density as France or Germany, but there are large parts of France and Germany that aren't dense enough to support rail. Southern Ontario is about the same size as England yet it only has one quarter the population.
I'm not sure what point you're making. Ontario outside the GTA may not be hyper-dense but it's still dense enough to support far better rail service than it has. By the way, Ireland has a fraction of the population of Southern Ontario but it has a far better passenger rail system. I don't know why people keep bringing up places like England and Japan in discussions like this, it really is a red herring.

Also Europe has always had that density so rail was able to get established before competitive mode of transportation could get established. Southern Ontario may one day be dense enough to support a competitive regional rail network but retrofitting it in will be expensive and difficult. That may not be a challenge anyone wants to undertake.
And yet every time GO expands, ridership increases. People take whatever mode makes sense, they're not glued to cars the way people think. Rail is weak here because service is slow, infrequent, unreliable, or simply non-existent. If we invested in rail the way that other countries do, rail would be much more successful. Countries like Israel and Australia show that rail can be successful even in new or sparsely populated countries. Our regional rail system sucks because we choose to make it suck, and for no other reason.

Back