News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think the groundwork for revitalization is already well in place. Regent Park is being virtually transformed with great architecture, public spaces, parks, galleries etc. At the lower boundary is Don River Park, once a brownfield wasteland is now being rapidly converted into the largest new parks network Toronto has seen in generations. And this is coupled with some great new architecture and urban planning. And then the distillery district which anchors this whole new area, is also relatively new having only been open as a public space for around 10 years.

All of these are on the perimeter of Queen East and will all impact what happens there in the future. Queen East has some of the best Victoria storefronts - it's only a matter of time before they are choc-full of cool shops, cafe's etc.

And please put a cork in the the 'we need a bunch of new highrises down there'.

Cabbage Town and Corktown is not York Mills, thanks.

meh I don't think that stretch of Queen will fair too badly for a couple reasons:

1) We're talking about a fairly small stretch here.

West of Spadina Queen takes on a completely different role / feel - personally and I'm sure many would agree here that's there stretch of Queen we all love.

2) New things will open, I can see more restaurants coming to that stretch and some of the chain retail will of course stay.

3) Rents are dropping, that'll make it more profitable for the chains.

meh I don't think that stretch of Queen will fair too badly for a couple reasons:

1) We're talking about a fairly small stretch here.

West of Spadina Queen takes on a completely different role / feel - personally and I'm sure many would agree here that's there stretch of Queen we all love.

2) New things will open, I can see more restaurants coming to that stretch and some of the chain retail will of course stay.

3) Rents are dropping, that'll make it more profitable for the chains.

George Restaurant on Queen East between church and Jarvis is actually quite upscale. You just don't see it from the outside and it seems not many people know about it? I do some very well dressed men and women showing up in front of it frequently.

I sincerely hope something interesting will happen there... not just glass condos and generic clothing store such as Gap/H&M etc, but something you don't find in the rest of the city. As someone rightly pointed out, there is little opportunity on the north side due to the existence of St Mike's, the church, Moss Park and the Amoury, however south side of Queen E and the gigantic surface lot can be converted into something valuable.

Does anyone know any planning for that lot between church and Mutual, stretching the entire block from Queen to Shuter anyway? It is simply too huge to sit like this, steps away from the Hudson Bay and City Hall.

Oh sorry I should have been more clear, I was referring to the post earlier regarding the stretch of Queen W - roughly John to Spadina, where all the 'main stream' outlets folked to over the last 5 years or so.

I actually find Queen east a little past church OK ... I think it'll take the parking lots being developed until we feel different about the area.

The section of Queen East that some people think feels abandoned ... it's not really abandoned, but this area is home to a large percentage of the city's shelters, services that cater to marginalized people, and lots and lots of subsidized housing.
The area will perk up with careful planning over a period of time. It's already a lot better than it was, say 15 years ago.
Anyway, I've always like this section of town, used to live here.

Unlike Queen West, which started revitalization at Queen and marched south to Wellington, the east side is doing the opposite -- starting with Esplanade/St. Lawrence/Distillery/WDL and marching north through King. Think of Sherbourne: St. Lawrence, then the King east condos, then Richmond, now the Modern. Queen east at Sherbourne is where this stops due to AoD's list (tough to revitalize that corner with the shelter there, and through Dundas to Gerrard it's a mess.)

This is exactly how I feel. The creeping improvements (or gentrifications, depending on your view) are happening, and while it might not be obvious day-to-day they are actually happening quite quickly. When I was at Ryerson in the mid-nineties, I remember that anywhere southeast was a no-go. I remember walking south on Jarvis to see concerts at the Warehouse and being quite nervous. Now these same areas are my regular haunts.

The southern edge of the downtown east, The Esplanade, is now bookended by upscale development on either end (Distillery District and the London/L-Tower cluster). The SLM neighbourhood is vibrant. The King East shopping strip is now very upscale and is quickly extending all the way to Parliament with the East Lofts, the King East condos, Toronto Sun building redevelopment, etc. all happening in just the past 2 or 3 years.

And, slowly but surely, this progress is now creeping to the north.

Sherbourne is a perfect example: with the Modern condo soon to be completed, more businesses like the Bisogno cafe north of King, Fusaro's at Richmond are going to follow. Even a few years ago I rarely went north of Adelaide, but now Sherbourne feels clean and safe all the way to Queen, and even there it's not as bad as it used to be.

Just west of there, Rezen condos have been complete for a while (though sadly unable to find retail tenants yet). George Brown has invested in an amazing new cooking school building at Frederick and Adelaide. The Vu condo has transformed the entire area over to to Jarvis and Richmond. Vu is not a total success architecturally, but if you compare it to the former Goodwill building and surrounding neighbours, the sketchiness quotient is drastically reduced. The Post House condos will be under construction soon.

There was a bit of a lag, but the retail strip north of St. James park is rejuvenating now, and a new Gelato cafe is opening soon at Adelaide and Jarvis, none of which would have been supportable without the condo redevelopments to bring people in to the area. Similarly, Church St. in the area is also changing, with the Spire condo quickly followed by a Starbucks and Harlem Restaurant. St. James Cathredal is also finishing up an ambitious architectural restoration of their Diocese building fronting Adelaide. I think B Espresso and the George restaurant are the first brave upscale establishments on Queen East itself, and they both seem to be doing very well.

Basically, if you were to map the downtown east transformation on a slow-motion timeline, I think it would look like a hurricane's tidal surge creeping in from the south, spilling up the north/south streets and filling in each block as it goes. It's just now lapping at Queen St East, but it will only be a matter of time: a few more years, maybe, but it's going to happen.

Oh sorry I should have been more clear, I was referring to the post earlier regarding the stretch of Queen W - roughly John to Spadina, where all the 'main stream' outlets folked to over the last 5 years or so.

I actually find Queen east a little past church OK ... I think it'll take the parking lots being developed until we feel different about the area.

that parking lot seems to big for a condo project? it is probably big enough for 4 high rise condos. I wonder what will happen to it? Right now it is such a waste of valuable land. Hope it will be a mixture of high density residential and plenty of commercial. As you said, this might change the entire area depending on what will get built there, and incentivize development of the north side of Queen East.

Somebody just got shot on that Queen East stretch yesterday.

BTW, one of the few parks in the city I am uncomfortable in is Moss Park.

P.S. I made the mistake of taking pix of that Jesus mural in that area. I think it was on Mutual but I can't remember exactly. Some of the guys that frequented that building thought I was taking pics of them (and to be truthful I sort of was). I just about got punched in the head.

Somebody just got shot on that Queen East stretch yesterday.

You mean the incident involving the police and a mentally ill patient in front of St. Mike's Hospital? That was on Shuter Street and doesn't really seem relevant to this discussion.

What makes no sense is that they continue to build shelters east of Yonge. For example, Jarvis between Queen and Dundas is a disaster. There are multiple, major homeless shelters all within 2-3 blocks. Not sure how city planners allowed this but it's a disgrace.

Or plausibly - ineffectual neighbourhood opposition. "Undesirable" land uses are often located in areas where the neighbourhood doesn't have the capacity to respond.

AoD

Back