News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Canadians identify far too closely with their particular region(s) versus the country as a whole. It's impossible to define a Canadian identity and really pointless to do so. Nothing is really lost by not feeling Canadian versus Quebecois or Torontonian imho.

Well I am looking at it objectively, there are near 800,000 by 2006...

With all those silly controversy and hate over Muslims, when they become a major group as they will (they are the fastest growing religion in Canada) there will be tension.

You can ignore and think we are not capable of that in Canada, but there have been so many stupid controversies already. The whole religious school thing in 2007 was massively fueled by the publicly funded Islamic schools.
With accelerated growth rates, assuming that the population of the country was simply converting over to Islam, it'd still take 50 years for Muslims to make up just half of the population. And that's not happening; pretty much all of the muslims coming into the country are immigrating, as are hundreds of thousands of people of other creeds, including Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism.

true but it appears any minority group makes up 10% or so of the population (In the US, France, Netherlands), there is a lot more tension.

Well I am looking at it objectively, there are near 800,000 by 2006...

With all those silly controversy and hate over Muslims, when they become a major group as they will (they are the fastest growing religion in Canada) there will be tension.

You can ignore and think we are not capable of that in Canada, but there have been so many stupid controversies already. The whole religious school thing in 2007 was massively fueled by the publicly funded Islamic schools.

Not that the "major group" you represent isn't a spark for tension in its own right...

take a chill pill man...

lol

Adma is right, tension comes from both sides. Stop blaming just other side, especially when your side is more prominent in history when it comes to starting conflict and violence with other ethnic groups.

And I think Europe and America have every right to be opposed to immigration.

Of course, they have every right create problems for themselves. No one said they didn't.

And I think when people voice their opinions, people (such as the members on this forum) are quick to dismiss them as a neo-nazi or a bigot.

And exactly whose opinions have you acknowledged? You ignore everything everyone has said so far. None of your response have pertained directly to content of anyone's post. You just repeating the same lines over and voer again regardless of what people.

In America, illegals are causing an increase in gang violence, drug trafficking, environmental degradation, etc.

Again, those are merely the result of an already tough stance on immigration in the US. Canada has the highest immigration rate per capita, and seemingly experiences the least problems from immigration. It is not coincidence.

I'm sure there are many people who are qualified to be an American citizen and can opt to do so legally, and it's almost insulting to these people that illegal immigrants are simply hopping over the border and taking advantage of an oppurtunity they didn't earn. Why do you suppose Americans have no problems with Asian immigrating in large quantities to the west coast? Opposition to illegal immigration is not racist.

I think Arizona anti illegal immigration law is far more insulting to legal immigrants than illegal immigrants are.

Canada is lucky as no one group dominates, however Muslims are starting to and will in the future and I expect further problems around that.
Wow, what kind of racist comment is that?

I guess it's no surprise that you are supporting a racist for mayor in another thread here.

Canada is also like Nazi Germany in that we also have bicycles.

Bicycles are everywhere. Laws forcing certain ethnic groups to carry special papers is not.

But Canada really was like Nazi Germany though, or rather it would be more accurate to say Nazi Germany was like Canada. After all, the term "Final Solution" originated from Canada. It was a Canadian policy before it was a Nazi policy. Hitler got the idea from us. Nazi scientists were coming to Canada to experiment on aboriginal children before the war. Our residential schools actually had higher death rates than some of their concentration camps: 50,000-90,000 children dead out of a total enrollment of 120,000 children. Has the "tough" stance against aboriginals and aboriginal culture had a positive social impact on them and on Canadian society in general?

Last edited:
How is that a racist comment? Islam isn't a race.

I wish people would cut it out with this "Haha, a thumb is not a finger!" pedantic crap. There is undoubtedly racism tied up in the islamophobia that exists today.

Actually IMO this thread shouldn't even be here... it's not a Toronto issue... can we move it to General Discussions please?

I wish people would cut it out with this "Haha, a thumb is not a finger!" pedantic crap. There is undoubtedly racism tied up in the islamophobia that exists today.

Can christianophobia be racist? No. So can islamophobia be racist? No. Neither Islam nor Christianity belong to one "race" (assuming for a second that "race" exists at all). If anything, it requires a new word to be created. Religionist? But it's certainly not racist. Being "anti-Arabic" could be racist I suppose. But not all Arabs are Muslim, and not all Muslims are Arab.

Anti-Semitism could possibly be racist if you were to define Jews as a race. Although I see problems with that too. Religionist would probably work better with anti-Semitism as well actually. Or culturalist? I don't know. I think racist is used too much as a catch-all term for things that have nothing to do with "race". Actually the main probably has more to do with the term "race" in there. "Race" is such an outdated term.

Race still matters - it will always matter; identity matters - but, again, the current anti-Muslim frenzy in the U.S. and parts of Europe is very much a racist movement.

If someone said they were anti-Christian but by 'Christian' they meant primarily black evangelicals, they'd be racist.

Back