News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Will Michael Ignatieff defeat the government over the budget?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why defeat them right now? The Conservatives are eating their humble pie and basically fudging their projections for a rapid recovery. When that doesn't happen, there would be a much better case to call for their removal over inept leadership.

AoD

PS: Oh those radio ads with those "housewives" chatting about politics. Yes, we have all conveniently forgot that everything is just a-okay as per the original Throne Speech.

^
Future campaign banners?

In any case, I am glad the 'coalition' is finally dead.

I think it was a hard choice to make. Ignatieff could become Prime-Minister without an election or he could become a Prime Minister in an election where Stephan Harper will have been shown ineffective.

I think we'll see an election called by the spring.

If Ignatieff doesn't bring down the Conservatives right now, he is putting his own future in their hands. Rolling the dice and gambling that the Conservatives will bring themselves down isn't my primary choice, but I know the poll numbers and where they are heading. Its probably the safe option in Ignatieff's head, but I'm not sure safe is the best option. Because that safety net of negative poll numbers for Harper can change in a matter of weeks.

Maybe its best for Harper to hang himself, but what if he doesn't? Canada will endure more Conservative leadership if he doesn't, and the only chance to bring his government down was wasted.

There is no perfect in political strategy, I just hope whatever happens gets rid of Harper in the longer term.

The thing I am happy about is we finally have gone back to the two proper parties fighting it out. Now instead one bully vs a bunch of silly guys (dion, layton)

Its a even match and I think it will be an interesting one. I think Igantieff knows people do not know him at all yet.
At best, he could get the liberals back to the original state (95 seats)

NDP have lost their steam and will go back to the backwaters where they belong and the Bloc can just sit in Quebec and be happy.

I think Igantieff wants people to know him better, for the economy to get worse and then we will have a really nice good well fought election in the fall.

If Harper could not beat Dion and get a majority he has no hope, so just relax.
Harper is weakened and this budget was made to satisfy the Liberals.

Last edited:
As the cliche goes, they are giving the CPC enough rope to hang themselves. Ignatieff can take credit for anything that goes well, and pillory the CPC for anything that goes poorly.

Also, much/most of the infrastructure money won't be spent (by design), so that will be one huge club to beat the Conservatives with in 6 - 12 months.

As the cliche goes, they are giving the CPC enough rope to hang themselves. Ignatieff can take credit for anything that goes well, and pillory the CPC for anything that goes poorly.

Also, much/most of the infrastructure money won't be spent (by design), so that will be one huge club to beat the Conservatives with in 6 - 12 months.

One can only hope. I'm taking this new stage in Canadian politics as a political strategy course. We'll see how it turns out and learn from the successes or failures thereafter. My only hope is that Harper hangs himself with the biggest rope available.

What I find most fascinating about Michael Ignatieff vs Steven Harper?

The fact they're both Taurus's, a sign noted for conservatism and strategic thinking.

Stephen Joseph Harper, born April 30, 1959

Michael Grant Ignatieff, born May 12, 1947

And both men are born in year of the pig!

What does that mean? They're both greedy and fiscally conservative? (And neither of them are kosher...:p)

Last edited:
As always, I prefer this juxtaposition...

====================

Michael Grant Ignatieff, born May 12, 1947

James Newell Osterberg, Jr., born April 21, 1947

One thing that strikes me as silly about Liberals: they expect Canada to be a one party country forever. In a democracy, isn't that rather silly?

Such a good point. Despite the partisan rantings of some here most Canadians are happy to have choice and parties that have to work to get their vote. Being a 'dyed-in-the-wool' anything seems so 'American' to me. Harper may be slightly to the right - although you certainly wouldn't know it from his budget - but he's hardly the fascist that far-left liberals and NDPers would have you believe and I'm hoping that by ignoring the fringe elements of both extremes of the political spectrum we will be getting back to a political spectrum that is less polarized.

Kudos to Ignatieff, by the way. I think he has handled the situation intelligently and will likely come out of this stronger to fight another day, when circumstances warrant. It is nice to see some calm political leadership, and it makes such a change from all the amateur histrionic politicking we've seen from Harper and the Layton/Dion cabal over the past few months!

Back