News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I personally love the look of offshore wind farms, and am excited at the prospect of having one here. I think the people complaining about them spoiling the view haven't even seen a wind farm before.

Or at most, their wind farm experiences have been "on shore", a la Port Burwell, Shelburne, etc. And, you gotta admit--as picturesque as they may be from a distance or for a casual passer-through, those whirlygigs really hog land space much the way a transmission line does. At ground level, they're bleak dead zones--and probably already were before, which motivated the choice of location; but, still.

IOW the argument against offshore wind farms may be far-fetched; but I don't blame the generic fear of wind farms. It's like Brasilia or Chandigarh: photogenic face value doesn't tell the total picture...

The question about which source of electrical power we want should be predicated on how useful it is. I'd like to see an expansion of nuclear power to secure base demand. I'm not opposed to wind power, but I just don't see it being a significant electricity producer for the province. It has local utility in some rural communities, but it is a drop in the bucket in urban areas.

actually it occurred to me off shore wind farms might not be such a good idea. If it was on land, at least it will get grounded. But if there's loose electricity in th water, that might be dangerous. We've seen how electricity and water doesn't mix. You get electrified. Even if it doesn't leak when built, doesn't guarantee it won't as it ages much like the dogs being electrified from manholes.

Yeah, I'm sorta wondering what those offshore wind turbines might look like in forty or fifty years, especially if they've been disused for much of that time (and what'd be the cost of removing them?)

actually it occurred to me off shore wind farms might not be such a good idea. If it was on land, at least it will get grounded. But if there's loose electricity in th water, that might be dangerous. We've seen how electricity and water doesn't mix. You get electrified. Even if it doesn't leak when built, doesn't guarantee it won't as it ages much like the dogs being electrified from manholes.

fo1244%5Cf1244_it0194a.jpg

I guess that is why Sunnyside Beach was landfilled in? I thought it was to create parkland.

It's ideas like this that provide more baseless ammo for the NIMBYs. I'm fairly certain there are security measures in place to ensure that electricity doesn't enter the water. It's not like this is an entirely new concept and we don't know what kind of side effects will occur. Other countries around the world have implemented these, and I'm certain we can learn from them.

It's not like this is an entirely new concept and we don't know what kind of side effects will occur. Other countries around the world have implemented these, and I'm certain we can learn from them.

we usually end up doing a half ass job copying others. Like you said, we don't know the side effects. If electricity leaks, it would be dire. Fishes around the area would die, birds and other wild life that land or live nearby the water would die. People who swim close to the area would die. Or ones who fall off boats into the water could die too. If they do end up making it, they better ensure no such accidents happen ever.

It's ideas like this that provide more baseless ammo for the NIMBYs. I'm fairly certain there are security measures in place to ensure that electricity doesn't enter the water. It's not like this is an entirely new concept and we don't know what kind of side effects will occur. Other countries around the world have implemented these, and I'm certain we can learn from them.

doesn't lightning strike the lake pretty much every thunderstorm?

p.s, wind power!

I read these comments and all I hear is blah blah blah. Noise? How much noise comes from the generator at the Ex? Bird migration? Oh noes what about all those tall buildings that people live and work in? Dozens of birds are hurt or killed by them, so lets all live underground! Finally the wind turbine disease sounds like pseudo science bunk.

Fact is I would line up to buy a unit in a condo building that included some form of wind and/or solar generating capacity.

The average outdoor cat kills more birds than a wind turbine. We can probably also look at birds killed by vehicles, jets, etc.

Hydrogen:

Nuclear has been made a priority by the province, so you're likely to get your wish. I'd they hold off a little while and use the new generation of nuclear technology rather than a few more of what we have now.

we usually end up doing a half ass job copying others. Like you said, we don't know the side effects. If electricity leaks, it would be dire. Fishes around the area would die, birds and other wild life that land or live nearby the water would die. People who swim close to the area would die. Or ones who fall off boats into the water could die too. If they do end up making it, they better ensure no such accidents happen ever.

wow... just wow...
I'd really suggest you read what I actually wrote and comment again. Thanks.

Prometheus is right though. Lightning hits the water all the time anyways.

iwhalimby! ;)

And wind turbines aren't that ugly. They're a lot prettier than Bruce Nuclear or Nanticoke.

You hit the nail on the head. As a urban society, we need to stop assuming that all of our needs, from waste disposal to energy generation, can be addressed by building monstrosities elsewhere in the province. The days when we could build a power plant out in the "middle of nowhere" are over. We need to take some responsibility for our own energy consumption.

wow... just wow...
I'd really suggest you read what I actually wrote and comment again. Thanks.

Prometheus is right though. Lightning hits the water all the time anyways.

What I'm saying is, it would be safer to build the wind turbines on land. At least it's grounded. If they want to build it in the water, they better do a lot of experiments to prove it safe before they start building. Taking into account worst case scenerios. It would be bad planning to build first, then find the problems later and try to patch things later when harm is already done. Yes, lightening will strike, but they strike above. I don't think lightening strikes deep into the water? If you have a pole, it might well conduct the lightening into the bottom of the lake. Like I said, do the tests and experiments first to make sure there are absolutely no issues. Just don't go "hey here's an idea. Let's do it!"

Back