5.3K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This weekend at the Toronto Aerospace Museum the Lancaster bomber
from Hamiton's warplane museum is flying in for the Wings and Wheels
celebration. My Triumph will be on display on Saturday, along with
plenty of other British bikes for the event. Should be a blast.
Here's the website with all the info...

http://torontowingsandwheels.com/

And for those that don't know..............

The Wings and Wheels show will take place at the Downsview Airport, which is accessible from Sheppard Avenue, east of Keele street, north of the 401. Hours are 10 am to 6 pm, on both Saturday the 24th and Sunday the 25th of May. Free parking on site for over 10,000 cars .

The Mynarski Memorial Lancaster 4 engine heavy bomber, one of over 7,760 built during WW2 ( 467 were built in Malton Ontario at AV Roe ) will be on hand. I'll be under the wing, talking about it's history, and Canada's role in the Second World War. She is the ONLY flying example of her kind in North America, and one of only two still flying in the world. A very rare bird for sure.

Jim Bunting.

Well, one of the many joys of living in South Parkdale, is the fairly familiar sight (and sound) of the Lancaster, whenever they take her for a spin "around the block". You can always hear it first, and it has an unmistakable sound.

Speaking of WW2 bombers...a few years ago, me and my uncle (who is a former naval aviator from the Bonaventure) were driving back to Toronto, when he spotted the unmistakable tail of a B-17 as we drove past the Brantford airport. He thought a B-17 parked on the runway in Brantford was the most bizarre things he had ever seen.

Needless to say, we turned into the airport and drove over to the runway. Turns out it was in Brantford for some repairs/refits (this was the plane they used for the film Memphis Belle). The crew there were excited about the project and gave us an amazing private tour of the aircraft, as we were kind of there at the right place at the right time, as some family of the crew were getting a tour.

Back