News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Why not Vic? Seems far more logical.
Might have to do with how the skating clubs use the ice at Vic? Or overall size of the entire grounds vs just skating area? Vic is quite small for extra field space in the winter vs Laurier.

And then parking too probs? Laurier has a lot, plus zoo, plus buena vista dog park. Vs Vic is quite tiny.

This weekend!

GJzZwMyWQAApWmp

I have very mixed feelings about this. There is some cost and work involved in setting up and tearing these patios down in the spring and fall, But I really haven't seen anyone out on the ones that are remaining now this winter.

I usually dress appropriately, comfortably and so don't mind walking outside, even when it is fairly cold. But sitting around outside - sorry I can't muster all the enthusiasm trying to be manufactured for that.
Well, any time the other half and I went to one, we were very, very rarely ever the only people there (especially weekend brunch at Café Bicyclette any time a warm snap hit). We actually look for them, because it's a way we can actually go out to dinner in winter in a world where dining out indoors is a great way to pick up the latest SARS-Cov-2 variant, and we can't muster the enthusiasm trying to be manufactured for that.

And it's not like we don't get warm days in winter. Our typical January has more days above 0 than below -20C. And if the sun is out or we have a nice fire and maybe a couple of blankets, it can be pretty nice, and really helps to beat the whole winter blues feeling of being overly cooped up.

The annoying thing was that the lists put out by Winter City Edmonton were wildly incorrect (to the point where I seriously wonder if the grants associated with these things were being wildly abused) and many of the purported participants just left their patio furniture out in the snow (and never cleared it) or had never done actually had a winter patio. Or their purported winter patio would turn out to be a giant tent, which completely defeats the benefit of being outdoors. So, actually finding these things was a bit of a challenge.

And yeah, I'm shamelessly reviving this thread on the verge of June... partly because my internal voice has been screaming OMG PUT YOUR PATIO OUT ALREADY to the non-winter patio restaurants since late March.

Last edited:

Back