News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Since Kade is still being held hostage by Woodbine security, let's go back to a time before the Woodbine Centre even existed.
Here's some vintage aerial shots:

View attachment 304688

The intersection of Highway 27 and Rexdale Boulevard in 1947.

If it looks like there's nothing there but farmland, well, you'd be right. Rexdale wasn't founded until
1955 when Rex Heslop (for which the community is named) purchased farmland in the area.

View attachment 304695

1983 view - two years before the Woodbine Centre was opened. You'll notice a lot of development to the area
including the Woodbine Racetrack, Ascot Inn, Humber College and Etobicoke General Hospital.

View attachment 304705

Back on ground level, this vintage shot was taken from Rexdale Boulevard heading towards Highway 27. The Ascott Inn and
BP Gas station are on the left while the Woodbine racetrack would be on the right of this photo.

The open field area in the top left corner would eventually become the Woodbine Centre.
wow that's very interesting.

What do you guys think is going to replace Imagine Cinemas now?

Last edited:
When Cineplex Odeon had its grand opening back in 1985, one of the first movies that played there was Rambo First Blood Part II.

View attachment 300666

Back in 2019 (pre-pandemic), my father and I went to see Rambo Last Blood (billed as the final Rambo movie) at Imagine Cinemas at the Woodbine. There was
only one other person in the movie theatre with us (as usual on a Tuesday afternoon) and by the credits (At the time) I felt like I was witnessing a historic moment
in Canadian history. The legacy of a once-great mall that was ushered in and bowed out by none other than: Sylvester Stallone.
Do you know which day was opening day? The poster reminded me of a visit long along, it turns out I saw Real Genius there on Saturday, August 17, 1985.

Do you know which day was opening day? The poster reminded me of a visit long along, it turns out I saw Real Genius there on Saturday, August 17, 1985.

Unless someone has an exact opening date, we could use the initial release dates of the movies all featured in the movie poster.
Except E.T. which came out in 1982.

In the Rexdale - Old Photo's facebook group, a friend just shared this store inventory list from the Albion Mall in 1984.
One year before the Woodbine Centre first opened:

160952854_3927651980648276_1259222956539222574_o.jpg

Did Music World move from the Albion Mall to the Woodbine mall?

Woodbine Mall has turned into a complete hot mess. When I seen the food court for the first time in years, I couldn't believe that that is what they dressed it up as, a cheap looking run down back end mall. I think what disappoints a lot of us is when you were actually present around the time the mall was truly flourishing. If you ever take another look while on your visit, please check out the Popeyes they decided to place towards the front left hand side (where Zellers used to be), they decided that it would be an amazing idea to prop up a medium sized speaker resting ever so gently above the store. I'm sorry, but what the hell is that?

Once upon a time they had Shoppers Drug Mart, they got rid of that, from there they looked as if they were in complete idle on what they were going to swap it with next. A cheap knock off style of Copacabana?

Woodbine Live–you were a plan, what is happening? I've passed by an have seen some developments in the works.

I've never seen so many stores get up and leave so quickly, downstairs is a complete joke. A grocery store where Zellers was, that was an announcement they didn't even need to make, barley got their foot in the door to begin with.

Breaks my heart to see my childhood mall has turned into an embarrassment.

If I'm ever there again, I'd be more than happy to share some images.

Woodbine Mall has turned into a complete hot mess. When I seen the food court for the first time in years, I couldn't believe that that is what they dressed it up as, a cheap looking run down back end mall. I think what disappoints a lot of us is when you were actually present around the time the mall was truly flourishing. If you ever take another look while on your visit, please check out the Popeyes they decided to place towards the front left hand side (where Zellers used to be), they decided that it would be an amazing idea to prop up a medium sized speaker resting ever so gently above the store. I'm sorry, but what the hell is that?

Once upon a time they had Shoppers Drug Mart, they got rid of that, from there they looked as if they were in complete idle on what they were going to swap it with next. A cheap knock off style of Copacabana?

Woodbine Live–you were a plan, what is happening? I've passed by an have seen some developments in the works.

I've never seen so many stores get up and leave so quickly, downstairs is a complete joke. A grocery store where Zellers was, that was an announcement they didn't even need to make, barley got their foot in the door to begin with.

In a few paragraphs, you've summed up the last 28 pages of this forum topic.

On behalf of all of the Urban Toronto Woodbine group, we'd like to present you with a $5 coupon
that can be used at Woodbine's Bulk Barn location.

In a few paragraphs, you've summed up the last 28 pages of this forum topic.

On behalf of all of the Urban Toronto Woodbine group, we'd like to present you with a $5 coupon
that can be used at Woodbine's Bulk Barn location.

Oh, you mean the extremely strange costume/Christmas-tree-holding nonsense thing they call-a-store that replaced BulkBarn about a year and a half ago?

If you ask me I wouldn’t be surprised if that store was set up as a diversion of some sort. Where’s the hidden back door you ask? I’ll have to go check it out. Lolol

If I were a pension fund, I would probably buy Woodbine Mall and land bank it.

I see the potential for density to explode in the area once the GO station relocates and Woodbine Entertainment finalizes its master plan for the Woodbine Racetrack.

Using wayback machine, you can dial back the rot and access a portion of Woodbine's website from 2008.

Woodbine1.png

While the layout and graphics have been removed long ago, you can still access a store directory from 2008.

Woodbine2.png

B & K Smokeshop was the hallway kiosk in front of Music World. They mostly sold knockoff goods from China.

Boss Sound was a few stores down from Music World originally - before being moved to the upper level and receiving a smaller space.

Woodbine3.png

Cinnabon's kiosk used to be located next to Dollarama and EB Game's old location. The smell of cinnamon helped cover up the rot of the mall.

EB Games's old location was next to Hakim Optical and Cinnabon's kiosk. I think it's a tax shop now.

Woodbine4.png

The General Store was a gift shop located near Hudson Bay. They specialized in collectibles and home decor.

If I remember, Garage Clothing was located near the Food Court, too. Or maybe it was Jean Machine.

Woodbine5.png

Japan Camera was another long-standing staple in the Woodbine. Going back to when the mall first opened in 1985.

Long Distance Phone Cards is a phone card kiosk that was set up near Dollarama and Cinnabon.

Woodbine6.png

Back when Payless Shoes was still in operation.

Rainbow Cinemas would replace Cineplex Odeon in the mid 2000's before becoming Imagine Cinemas in the years to follow.

Rock Co. was strategically placed next to Music World. A store that sold rock and roll t-shirts (with some Marley and Tupac, too)
along with daggers, belt buckles, incense burners and pot paraphernalia. The place usually reeked of incense, but the owner
Gerry was always nice to my brother and I.

Woodbine7.png

Sears has since become one of many liquidations in the Woodbine Centre.

S & R Knives sold - as you guessed it - knives and sewing equipment. I think they used to be located on the upper level near Sears. They've left Woodbine a few years ago.

Softron Tax - I think replaced the arcade (Skybox Games was it?) near Cineplex/Rainbow/Imagine Cinemas.

Sport Chek took over the old Chinese Food restaurant Abacus. They were located at the front of the mall (lower level opposite of JJ Muggs).
I still remember their closing down sale.

Sports Collectors was a shop on the right side of Sears. They sold Sports Memorabilia, collectibles and apparel. They didn't last long.

Woodbine8.png

Woodbine9.png

T Shirt Gallery rings a bell. Upper level - was known for their graphic tees and custom shirt printing.
I think I had my name placed on an old Jersey there years ago.

And we end this list on a sad note with Zellers.

As an added bonus, here's a video tour of the Woodbine Centre in somewhat happier times from 2010-2013.
Warning: the audio is quite disturbing......

Last edited:

you are speaking facts, the sad part is that walmart at westwood square is leaving.

Using wayback machine, you can dial back the rot and access a portion of Woodbine's website from 2008.

View attachment 307245

While the layout and graphics have been removed long ago, you can still access a store directory from 2008.

View attachment 307246
B & K Smokeshop was the hallway kiosk in front of Music World. They mostly sold knockoff goods from China.

Boss Sound was a few stores down from Music World originally - before being moved to the upper level and receiving a smaller space.

View attachment 307247

Cinnabon's kiosk used to be located next to Dollarama and EB Game's old location. The smell of cinnamon helped cover up the rot of the mall.

EB Games's old location was next to Hakim Optical and Cinnabon's kiosk. I think it's a tax shop now.

View attachment 307248

The General Store was a gift shop located near Hudson Bay. They specialized in collectibles and home decor.

If I remember, Garage Clothing was located near the Food Court, too. Or maybe it was Jean Machine.

View attachment 307250

Japan Camera was another long-standing staple in the Woodbine. Going back to when the mall first opened in 1985.

Long Distance Phone Cards is a phone card kiosk that was set up near Dollarama and Cinnabon.

View attachment 307251

Back when Payless Shoes was still in operation.

Rainbow Cinemas would replace Cineplex Odeon in the mid 2000's before becoming Imagine Cinemas in the years to follow.

Rock Co. was strategically placed next to Music World. A store that sold rock and roll t-shirts (with some Marley and Tupac, too)
along with daggers, belt buckles, incense burners and pot paraphernalia. The place usually reeked of incense, but the owner
Gerry was always nice to my brother and I.

View attachment 307252

Sears has since become one of many liquidations in the Woodbine Centre.

S & R Knives sold - as you guessed it - knives and sewing equipment. I think they used to be located on the upper level near Sears. They've left Woodbine a few years ago.

Softron Tax - I think replaced the arcade (Skybox Games was it?) near Cineplex/Rainbow/Imagine Cinemas.

Sport Chek took over the old Chinese Food restaurant Abacus. They were located at the front of the mall (lower level opposite of JJ Muggs).
I still remember their closing down sale.

Sports Collectors was a shop on the right side of Sears. They sold Sports Memorabilia, collectibles and apparel. They didn't last long.

View attachment 307253

View attachment 307254

T Shirt Gallery rings a bell. Upper level - was known for their graphic tees and custom shirt printing.
I think I had my name placed on an old Jersey there years ago.

And we end this list on a sad note with Zellers.

As an added bonus, here's a video tour of the Woodbine Centre in somewhat happier times from 2010-2013.
Warning: the audio is quite disturbing......

*WHISPER WHISPER* We miss you Old Woodbine!

you are speaking facts, the sai part is that walmart at westwood square is leaving.
This I know, but to be quite honest, I didn’t like the placement. A highly competitive chain in a mall that was just depleting, yet alone everyone else’s businesses dwindled. They left the center gap of the mall into tumbleweed, my heart hurts every time I step toes into that mall.

*WHISPER WHISPER* We miss you Old Woodbine!
Don't worry. Already working on a time machine for you and I. Kade can tag along, too - if he doesn't mind the back seat.

When these Covid numbers go down again, I'll have to go and take more photos. Assuming the mall security won't stop me with the deadly "shopping or walking?"
question.

Knowing me, though, I'd probably answer with "it's cool. I'm with Urban Toronto." before getting banned from the mall.

Back