News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Strangely, I feel the same way. The empty mall feels like a museum. A barely-populated, 100 million dollar museum, serving as an example
of a once-great shopping mall now turned to ruin. As much as I've taken shots at the mall, I keep finding myself returning. It's an abusive
relationship that I just can't get out of.

The new movie theatre Cinestarz is open in the Woodbine, should you wish to visit. There are photos of the renovations to the cinema
on the previous page of this thread.

I'm surprised, to be honest. The strip plaza on Queens Plate contains all the stores the Woodbine Centre wishes it had:
Planet Fitness, Fortinos, LCBO, Staples, Mandarin, Winners, etc. There's also the sealed off land next to Staples that was
considered private property.

That piece of land next to Staples was recently flattened and fenced off.

What's happening over at the Bay in Woodbine Centre?
Is it going to continue as a BAY? Or become an outlet centre?
Over at Eglinton Square mall in Scarborough
That BAY is now an outlet centre...in a mall that was once a very classy mall: https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2023/08/hudsons-bay-launches-outlet-store-concept/

As someone who has gone to Eglinton Square for almost 30 years it was never THAT classy. In the 1990s the mall was a small local mall where people would gather but had everything from Dominion to The Bay but the STC was always the better mall.

As for The Bay at Eglinton Square, it is a dump. The place had the feel of a Woolco and was never the best.

As a longtime Scarberian, if I need to go to The Bay, I go to STC as it is better stocked, cleaner and newly renovated.

As someone who has gone to Eglinton Square for almost 30 years it was never THAT classy. In the 1990s the mall was a small local mall where people would gather but had everything from Dominion to The Bay but the STC was always the better mall.

As for The Bay at Eglinton Square, it is a dump. The place had the feel of a Woolco and was never the best.

As a longtime Scarberian, if I need to go to The Bay, I go to STC as it is better stocked, cleaner and newly renovated.
Nobody needs to go to the Bay, like ever.

I went to buy a simple black dress shirt for work. I forgot The Bay caters to people that don't need to work, as the price of the shirt was $79.99
at the STC location.

Cutting my losses, I ended up going to Maximum Deals in Mississauga. Picked up a similar shirt, brand new - for $5.

I also went to The Bay when they had their popup Zellers on the third floor. Wasn't expecting much, to be honest. Heck, it's hard to feel nostalgic
when a person can just walk into the Woodbine Centre, pick up a dead stock item, and be instantly transported back in time with a Zellers price
tag still on the packaging. No need to get in your DeLorean, Marty. Just hop on The Highway 27 Express.

I'll go have my coffee now.

I go there and look for the red sticker stuff. Great prices. I got a pair dress socks for only $5, to name one good thing there, and they were NOT the paper thin ones like the $1.25 Dollarama socks either.
They were better made, appearing as if though they will last me a while.

Cutting my losses, I ended up going to Maximum Deals in Mississauga. Picked up a similar shirt, brand new - for $5.
I'm not sure if it's the same company, but another option is called Brands for less. They're charging more-around $15 but it's a dressy shirt...some come with a tie, some do not.
There is a brands for less on the Queeensway near Kipling.
I still (also) like the Bay for the luck of what I find with a red sticker...sometimes I really DO get lucky with low prices.

I really miss the Bay Buffet @ Eglinton square and Watts being where it was in it's original location. Tip Top was a great store back then. (still is)
Somehow Bi Way leaked itself into the mall for a while, but long before that, it was a very nice mall with very nice stores, and even a Sam the Record man because there was no Digital storage in those days.

Last edited:
Sam the Record man

Who.. the what man?

LOL but seriously I remember going there for the City of Scarborough's 200th anniversary. I was in Grade 4 and my school turned it into a field trip.

They had a town crier reading a proclamation and everything.

But seriously.. back on topic.

hahaha so true about that Bay , i remember one time they had one nice Ralph Lauren jacket for like $199 at the Bay , then luckily i went across the street to Winners and found the exact same Ralph Lauren jacket for like $70

Was there about a week and a half ago. Had a Charlies cheese steak sandwich. It was still pretty good lol! The food court was relatively busy. Not packed though.

The girl making my food said that she went to the theatre and wasn't too impressed. The seats were comfy and popcorn was ok. But she complained about the small screens. I dont remember them being too big when I last saw a film there... One of the Star Wars prequels I think... But if she was only ever used to the large screens in Colossus or the large Silver City type theatres... And the size of TVs now; OI can understand her saying how small the screens are!

Was there about a week and a half ago. Had a Charlies cheese steak sandwich. It was still pretty good lol! The food court was relatively busy. Not packed though.

The girl making my food said that she went to the theatre and wasn't too impressed. The seats were comfy and popcorn was ok. But she complained about the small screens. I dont remember them being too big when I last saw a film there... One of the Star Wars prequels I think... But if she was only ever used to the large screens in Colossus or the large Silver City type theatres... And the size of TVs now; OI can understand her saying how small the screens are!
Sounds like the screens @ the Woodbine centre are the same size as the Carlton theatres (Imagine cinemas) @ Carlton & Yonge.

I'm just thankful that we even have a movie theatre that plays Hollywood flicks In Rexdale at the moment.

Still baffled as to how Woodbine opened a theatre in it's current standing.

I'm just thankful that we even have a movie theatre that plays Hollywood flicks In Rexdale at the moment.

Still baffled as to how Woodbine opened a theatre in it's current standing.
If Cinestarz were to have a chat with Imagine cinemas (or Rainbow before that) I bet they'd hear every excuse not to open.
Yet, no doubt still open anyway because they see a way to do some things differently. (ie the type of seating)

I'd be shocked if the theatre lasts. I drove by Woodbine yesterday, middle of a Saturday afternoon, which can be considered "peak" mall time, and it looked absolutely dead. There couldn't have been more than 40 cars in the parking lot, and considering that a good portion of those are likely staff, that paints a damning picture. The Bay had maybe a dozen cars outside - how is that store still going????

Back