News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Most of the stores that occupy the Woodbine are basically selling the same liquidated Closeout King merchandise.
That's correct, the owner was trying to fill in the stores that had previously closed with his liquidated merchandise to create the illusion to prospective tenants/customers that these units are real stores with real lease agreements. That way the mall doesn't look as dead as it really is. Sometimes the cashiers in these shops were his relatives and many times you would see one cashier manage 2 or 3 shops at the same time.

It’s all of Chris Hinn’s merchandise from his stores around the GTA. Did you ever go to the Stanfield store? It was the size of 3-4 walmart stores! Those trailers are packed with that product and who knows where it’ll go…
I would imagine those tractor trailers were parked at the Woodbine (and later RBC parking lot) to get ready to gut the mall.
Most of the stores that occupy the Woodbine are basically selling the same liquidated Closeout King merchandise.

One would think with the change of ownership, those trucks would be moving in and out more often. My only other theory
is that Mr. Hinn was renting out the parking lot as a storage lot for other companies. Wouldn't be the first time the Woodbine's
property was used for such 'extracurricular' activities.

Out of curiosity, would you happen to know the name of the second company that purchased the Woodbine before Sunpact?..
FWIW, this article from 2008 said Woodbine Centre was "managed by Darton Property".
I don't know if the Peter McCallion mentioned in the article (as being the mall's general manager at that time) is Hazel's son.

Last edited:
FWIW, this article from 2008 said Woodbine Centre was "managed by Darton Property".
I don't know if the Peter McCallion mentioned in the article (as being the mall's general manager at that time) is Hazel's son.

I found more writing online to support Darton Property's temporary ownership of the Woodbine:

"In 2008, proposed development of an entertainment centre at Woodbine Racetrack and the closure of national stores like Shoppers Drug Mart fuelled rumours that the mall was closing. Instead, then-owners Darton Property planned renovations to washrooms.

The mall was used in the filming of 1987's "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol", where David Spade is seen skateboarding through the mall.

As of 2016, the assessed value of the property was $96,708,000. Woodbine Mall Holdings Inc. owed over a half-million in unpaid taxes that year."

Someone needs to update this article to feature the Chris Hinn saga.

Back