I think the white appliances looks good with this particular colour palette, in my opinion. It matches the countertop and the backsplash. I think if the appliances were black it would look too dark with the dark cabinets and dark hardwood floors. I think the white appliances here makes the unit look more airy and spacious. I'm not an interior designer or anything but I think white looks great.

it's all personal preferences, but considering they went with the dark cabinets, etc. black or s/s appliances would have looked better IMO.

also the white island with brown sliding kitchen table sticks out like a sore thumb ... the countertop i would have kept white but the base should match the other cabinetry and table.

perhaps there was an error in orientation with that island b/c the table would certainly impede the LR space ... either reverse the direction, or move the island 4 ft over so it's in front of the d/w.

it's all personal preferences, but considering they went with the dark cabinets, etc. black or s/s appliances would have looked better IMO.

also the white island with brown sliding kitchen table sticks out like a sore thumb ... the countertop i would have kept white but the base should match the other cabinetry and table.

perhaps there was an error in orientation with that island b/c the table would certainly impede the LR space ... either reverse the direction, or move the island 4 ft over so it's in front of the d/w.

Well you can't reverse the direction because if you do this then the microwave and cabinets will be facing the window. The only other option would be to move the island over so it's in front of the dishwasher as Cdr108 suggested. I'm sure the electrical cord underneath the island is long enough.

Personally, I would ditch the island and replace it with a small wooden dining room table. It could look quite elegant and you could place it anywhere. Pine is lightweight. Maple, though heavier, is attractive.

Last edited:
That island takes too much space from a space that is already too small for dining and living. I know some people do not like linear kitchens but in this case it is the best option for the space and layout.

Agreed about the island being awkwardly positioned. For one thing, it's too close to the stove-side. I'm not sure how that would all work.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. Generally, when does the PDI take place relative to the occupancy date? Is it before, and if so, when? Or does it typically take place on the occupancy date (i.e., the first day one can take a look at the unit)?

Mine was 6 weeks before, but normally I believe it is 2 weeks prior. I asked to extend my move-in date by one month to avoid the extra phantom rent.

Followup questions.

1. I read somewhere that the PDI takes about an hour per 1000 square feet. Does this sound reasonable?

2. The Tarion Pre-Delivery Inspection Form seems comprehensive. http://www.tarion.com/NR/rdonlyres/202DDFC9-97B7-41D1-B856-39A3D3AD760A/0/Feb2009PDIForm.pdf

Still, I wonder about hiring a 3rd party - or is this approach more suitable for older properties (inspired by the Mike Holmes inspection horrors)? Of those who have purchased units, have any deficiencies been noted? (Their Tarion record is clean.)

3. Any surprises, good or bad, for those who have completed PDIs? Advice for those yet to move in?

4. Final question. Who checks for possible deficiencies in the common areas inside and outside, and when? For example, I notice stray electrical cables around the planters outside.

Last edited:
Followup questions.

1. I read somewhere that the PDI takes about an hour per 1000 square feet. Does this sound reasonable?

2. The Tarion Pre-Delivery Inspection Form seems comprehensive. http://www.tarion.com/NR/rdonlyres/202DDFC9-97B7-41D1-B856-39A3D3AD760A/0/Feb2009PDIForm.pdf

Still, I wonder about hiring a 3rd party - or is this approach more suitable for older properties (inspired by the Mike Holmes inspection horrors)? Of those who have purchased units, have any deficiencies been noted? (Their Tarion record is clean.)

3. Any surprises, good or bad, for those who have completed PDIs? Advice for those yet to move in?

4. Final question. Who checks for possible deficiencies in the common areas inside and outside, and when? For example, I notice stray electrical cables around the planters outside.

bring a BRIGHT plug-in light source like a bulb + extension cord ... a flashlight won't be strong enough

Back