Thanks to 'X Condo' for providing the PDF's.... see below for the upgrade price list (edited out any personal info):

Click for larger image

Some notes:
  • Found out the Applicances (regular or s/s upgrade) are Amana? Nice to see Great Gulf stepping up with 'quality'. (or is this typical for builders to pick the cheapest appliances?)
  • Glass Wall wasnt included in the upgrade price list (this should be an upgrade for those with 1+dens)
  • As mentioned earlier... smoothed ceiling upgrade not on the pricelist
  • Window Coverings for $4000+? I know it's floor to ceiling but wow! :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks to 'X Condo' for providing the PDF's.... see below for the upgrade price list (edited out any personal info):

Some notes:
  • Found out the Applicances (regular or s/s upgrade) are Amana? Nice to see Great Gulf stepping up with 'quality'. (or is this typical for builders to pick the cheapest appliances?)

thanks kennyx and X Condo for the PDFs.

FYI ... image 1 and 2 are the same.

at first I wasn't sure if you were being genuine or sarcastic with Amana bc I remember them to be the worst stuff we had while growing up ... lol ...

here's a blog from fellow amana owners:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/amana.htm

those are some pricey 'upgrades':
- $3K for shower stall in lieu of tub (up to $5.3K depending on wall tile upgrade);
- $6K for the 'urban fireplace + tv cabinet' ???
- $8.9K - 11.2K for appliance upgrade package ... PLEASE tell me those are not Amana for that price ... he11 they better be european !

Last edited:
thanks kennyx and X Condo for the PDFs.

FYI ... image 1 and 2 are the same.

at first I wasn't sure if you were being genuine or sarcastic with Amana bc I remember them to be the worst stuff we had while growing up ... lol ...

here's a blog from fellow amana owners:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/amana.htm

those are some pricey 'upgrades':
- $3K for shower stall in lieu of tub (up to $5.3K depending on wall tile upgrade);
- $6K for the 'urban fireplace + tv cabinet' ???
- $8.9K - 11.2K for appliance upgrade package ... PLEASE tell me those are not Amana for that price ... he11 they better be european !

Thanks, -I've updated/fixed the 2nd image.

And yes... I was sarcastic. While I've never owned Amana, from word of mouth I'm now under the impression that it's a crap brand.
Im thinking about just taking the standard or hopefully getting credit from the builder (unlikely) and then spending an extra $1500-$2000 (on top of the $2700 saved from not paying for the stainless steel Amana Fridge/slide-in range/dishwasher/microwave upgrade) for some better reputable brands.

Thanks, -I've updated/fixed the 2nd image.

And yes... I was sarcastic. While I've never owned Amana, from word of mouth I'm now under the impression that it's a crap brand.
Im thinking about just taking the standard or hopefully getting credit from the builder (unlikely) and then spending an extra $1500-$2000 (on top of the $2700 saved from not paying for the stainless steel Amana Fridge/slide-in range/dishwasher/microwave upgrade) for some better reputable brands.

any word on what brand of appliances for the upgrade package that costs $8.9K - 11.2K ?

i recently saw some adverts in Sears and Future Shop for some s/s packages (range, fridge, d/w) from Kenmore, Whirlpool and Fridgedaire for ~$2K - 2.3K; and a KitchenAid package for $6K.

Last edited:
any word on what brand of appliances for the upgrade package that costs $8.9K - 11.2K ?

Not sure... but for that price, Im hoping that it's the same as in the model suite (built in range, built in dishwasher, integrated/built-in fridge).

That being said, -does Amana make anything that expensive? I thought Amana was the low-end Maytag brand? (ie., the Price Choppers, Food Basics of applicances?)

I own an Amana fridge and six years later it's been rock solid in terms of reliability. My model was also badged as a Maytag. It was equivalent to that of a "more reputable" brand.

I'm thinking of doing two things:

1) despite the huge headahce and hassle of switching/selling./moving appliances, take their black appliances and replace them with better ss appliances
2) thinking of hiring a contractor to scrape off the stucco ceilings after moving in and smoothing out the walls. If we could get a few people on this forum and in the building to agree, there could be some savings.
3) upgrade hardwood in the den
4) take the glass sliding doors (3)
5) Find my own blinds/curtains
6) upgrade the kitchen cabinets.

Last edited:
Though it is a big headache

I'm thinking of doing two things:

1) take their black appliances and replace them with mine ss appliances
2) thinking of hiring a contractor to scrape off the stucco ceilings after moving in and smoothing out the walls. If we could get a few people on this forum and in the building to agree, there could be some savings.

Hey Condo X,

As for the smooth celings, I am going to wait to find out prices considering this job is a pain and very messy. My friend who moved into London looked into contractrors and the prices were very comparitive. If this is the case with X, I rather move into the unit ready to avoid the clean-up and dust aftermath ;) If anyone finds out prices before me, please post to the form.

I am still debating the kitchen appliance upgrade vs. the window coverings. Does anyone have experience on the values and what would take you further when you re-sell?

I'm not sure about the prices of the possible upgrades from the builder.

I got an indication from a contractor approx $1K to smooth out the ceilings.

Depending on how much GG charges, this could be worthwhile, I would be willing to wait a week to move in if the contractor goes to town on the ceilings.

approx 700 sq ft

Does that SF exclude the kitchen and baths which are already smooth?
For $1K .... that's a good price !
How much experience does he have doing it?
The quality and scope of the work ... is he sanding the popcorn finish, then skim coating it; or covering it with a thin drywall and then finishing it?

IIRC, builders prices vary from $2.50 - 5.00 PSF.

I'm not sure about the actual details

This was a very loose indication but gives a sense of the pricing out on the open market.

Yea I expect the builder to come in around $2K for approx $700 sq ft

It's almost always worth it to do the upgrades yourself, even if you have to hire a contractor. Builder upgrade prices are an unbelievable rip-off, especially if you have to build the price into your mortgage, in which case you're going to be paying for it twice.

hi to fellow x-er's

Hi there..
Have been reading this blog for awhile but just now signed up. My partner and I bought at the very beginning(Mar 2006) on the 34th flr. It has been interesting to read the comments/news/going ons etc. I remember being told back then that if one wished the appliances as in the model suite (all built in) they estimated (back then) approx $7000. We definatley want a smooth ceiling too...and prefer prior to move in..heard from others what a mess it can be otherwise. We also were wondering about the second bathroom to replace tub with built in shower ..I guess we will have to wait for our appointment still.
They never did have the design seminar evening with Ceccone/Simone that they were planning did they?The evening they originally planned was double booked with VU(or did we miss it?) . It is exciting to see the building going up now. I tried to look at the pdf of the upgrade price list but cannot enlarge..can someone be so kind to email? I also like the idea of more purchaser's mentioning the smooth ceilings! Thank you..later!

Back