The chandeliers are too big and need to be illuminated from the outside too, the "art" is not bold enough and not corporate enough and not the right size for this space.

I do not think they are done with the artwork. They will still be installing the larger artwork in the lobby and might even change the current artwork. I don't think we can say that the artwork is permanent. It might be the designers are testing everything out. I do think the chandeliers are the right proportions. Anything else would be overbearing. Those living in the building know how large the chandeliers do look in person, especially at the front desk. I personally would rather choose these chandeliers over those in the render. Keep in mind, the amenities are not done yet either, so I wouldn't say the lobby is 100% complete. This building is still being worked on, so we may all be acting a bit premature.

Hallways

What do you think of the hallways? Do they remind you of:

(a) an Ibis hotel in Sweden
(b) the corporate offices behind the scenes in a department store
(c) a never-used set for Logan's Run
(d) the basement of the new Terminal 1 at Pearson
(e) all of the above
(f) none of the above

Compared to the rest of the building, the hallways were disappointing. On the other hand, the view is spectacular from the higher floors.

My turn for the PDI.

The builder's rep was aggressive and impatient. I had brought a friend with me because I had heard horror stories of people who had signed their PDIs without due diligence. My friend insisted on taking more time than the rep had planned (a scant 20 minutes). I felt like I was on a ride at the EX - right, left, up, down, now sign here and leave. The rep threatened to call security to remove my friend because his name was not on the rep's sheet. The rep's tone was condescending (e.g., "This unit is mine, not yours.". When my friend tested an electrical outlet that was not working, the rep said, "If you knew anything about GFI, then you would realize that the circuit was off." Unbelievable! Happily, he left and another person came to allow us to ask a few general questions and take some photos.

On the positive side, prior to the PDI, minor scratches and areas needing paint touch ups were all identified with decals. Window shades curiously are installed 3 days after occupancy, not before. Overall, the unit looks nice and the view is breathtaking.

Last edited:
My turn for the PDI.

The builder's rep was aggressive and impatient. I had brought a friend with me because I had heard horror stories of people who had signed their PDIs without due diligence. My friend insisted on taking more time than the rep had planned (a scant 20 minutes). I felt like I was on a ride at the EX - right, left, up, down, now sign here and leave. The rep threatened to call security to remove my friend because his name was not on the rep's sheet. The rep's tone was condescending (e.g., "This unit is mine, not yours.". When my friend tested an electrical outlet that was not working, the rep said, "If you knew anything about GFI, then you would realize that the circuit was off." Unbelievable! Happily, he left and another person came to allow us to ask a few general questions and take some photos.

On the positive side, prior to the PDI, minor scratches and areas needing paint touch ups were all identified with decals. Window shades curiously are installed 3 days after occupancy, not before. Overall, the unit looks nice and the view is breathtaking.

What was the name of your rep?

Last edited:
Shael. Incidentally, if anyone reading this post is in an 06 unit, how many electrical face plates do you have on the right wall as you enter? Also, which walls in the den have electrical outlets? I think there's a discrepancy between the plans for the unit and the unit as built.

Last edited:
Shael. Incidentally, if anyone reading this post is in an 06 unit, how many electrical face plates do you have on the right wall as you enter? Also, which walls in the den have electrical outlets? I think there's a discrepancy between the plans for the unit and the unit as built.

Oh boy, I got the call from Shael for my PDI. If he acts funny, I will walk out. What happens then in such a case.

I do not think they are done with the artwork. They will still be installing the larger artwork in the lobby and might even change the current artwork. I don't think we can say that the artwork is permanent. It might be the designers are testing everything out. I do think the chandeliers are the right proportions. Anything else would be overbearing. Those living in the building know how large the chandeliers do look in person, especially at the front desk. I personally would rather choose these chandeliers over those in the render. Keep in mind, the amenities are not done yet either, so I wouldn't say the lobby is 100% complete. This building is still being worked on, so we may all be acting a bit premature.

i didn't know this, i'll have to swing by at some point to see the lobby once all the artwork is installed. its common that buildings are still "under construction" after they open there doors to residents or in an offices case, tennants

If he tries to rush you, I suggest citing a letter you no doubt also received from Samantha Silver, Legal Liason, Condo Division: "... to thoroughly inspect your suite, you will need to set aside approximately two hours." I was surprised to discover that a list of deficiencies had already been made (and there were many). However, I didn't sign the PDI because I was not given the chance to satisfy myself that ALL deficiencies were noted. Do I get another walk through before occupancy in mid-December? Do I book a mover and trust everything will have been attended to?

Look, Great Gulf may be a fabulous developer, albeit somewhat slow to embrace LEED, but one of their reps simply cannot be allowed to bully and intimidate people making the most significant purchase in their life. It's appalling!

Anyone for coffee?

Last edited:
If he tries to rush you, I suggest citing a letter you no doubt also received from Samantha Silver, Legal Liason, Condo Division: "... to thoroughly inspect your suite, you will need to set aside approximately two hours." I was surprised to discover that a list of deficiencies had already been made (and there were many). However, I didn't sign the PDI because I was not given the chance to satisfy myself that ALL deficiencies were noted. Do I get another walk through before occupancy in mid-December? Do I book a mover and trust everything will have been attended to?

Look, Great Gulf may be a fabulous developer, albeit somewhat slow to embrace LEED, but one of their reps simply cannot be allowed to bully and intimidate people making the most significant purchase in their life. It's appalling!

Anyone for coffee?

While I do find that somewhat shocking with him, I will admit I felt a bit rushed with my unit too. But he was very upfront with me on things, stating even if we go over everything there will be issues months from now, that is just how things go. Warranty is covered for some time, and Great Gulf customer care is on site for most of the day to address issues for you. I don't really rely on Shael for anything after the PDI. But he was pretty patient with me and allowed my father to come up with me to inspect and anwser questions etc, so no big deal there really. I must admit front desk security guys know quite a lot around there so I tend to just ask them most stuff and they are extremely helpful.

X-cellent

The X is my second condo purchase in the last 3 years. My first experience was not thorough or honest. The builder (who shall remain unnamed) did not have their rep. check the unit prior to the inspection and poo-pooed any small issues that bothered me. They continued their sales pitch in the PDI and spent lots of time acting like my buddy. Mr. Shael also did my PDI and he pointed out many things that I would have missed. It took much less time because he was honest and did not fill the time with bulls#*t. No, he did not act like my buddy or friend, but gave me the goods.

The X is my second condo purchase in the last 3 years. My first experience was not thorough or honest. The builder (who shall remain unnamed) did not have their rep. check the unit prior to the inspection and poo-pooed any small issues that bothered me. They continued their sales pitch in the PDI and spent lots of time acting like my buddy. Mr. Shael also did my PDI and he pointed out many things that I would have missed. It took much less time because he was honest and did not fill the time with bulls#*t. No, he did not act like my buddy or friend, but gave me the goods.

why keep the name of the 1st builder anonymous ...
if it's the truth, they deserved to be railed !

PDI day 2.

1) I sent the following email to Samantha Silver, Customer Care - Legal Liaison, Great Gulf Homes Limited:

Dear Ms. Silver,

The PDI was unsatisfactory. Contrary to your letter postmarked Oct. 15, 2010 which states, "...to thoroughly inspect your suite, you will need to set aside approximately two hours". Mr. Rosenbaum was impatient and hostile. He listed the upgrades, pointed to known deficiencies marked with decals, but was intolerant of me or my friend looking around the unit ourselves. This is the most significant purchase in my life, and he actually threatened to have security remove a friend whom I had invited to help examine the unit. His demeanor was aggressive and menacing. He stopped only after my friend told him he would call the police if Mr. Rosenbaum did not stop the harassment.

I do appreciate that someone from Great Gulf Homes had listed in detail known deficiences. Nevertheless, I was not given the opportunity to check for any additional defects myself. Consequently, I have not signed the PDI form. It was clearly Mr. Rosenbaum's intention to give a whirlwind tour, to convince me to trust everything would be taken care of, and to send me on my way.

I have waited 4 1/2 years to see my unit. It should have been an exciting, happy occasion. This man ruined it. Deplorable. I don't want to deal with him ever again.

Before leaving, I did meet a wonderful person from building maintenance who was genuinely helpful and appreciative of a first time owner's concerns. He took the time to explain and show areas, such as the mail room. What a contrast!"

2) Reply:

Thank you for your email. I will forward this to the Director of Customer Care for her review. We do apologize for your experience and hope we can improve your experience in the near future.

3) My response:

Please let me know when you have rescheduled my PDI with sufficient time for me to inspect the unit. I was told to set aside a 2 hour time frame and the rep pushed me to leave in less than 45 minutes.

4) Reply:

I have left a message for the Director of Customer Care and will await a date and time when they can accommodate a walkthrough and notify you accordingly.

I just wish to clarify that the letter specifies approximately 2 hours. This is a standard timeframe I provide to all purchasers whether high-rise or low-rise projects and is not a static amount but a guideline only.

Once I have a time and date I will notify you of the same,

Note that a colleague at work with whom I shared the first email told me that it uncannily described how a friend of his was treated. Different developer but same scenario. To anyone whose PDI is coming up, stand up for yourself. You have a right to be treated with courtesy. Trust your instincts and walk away if you feel pressured. Then simply reschedule the PDI.

Last edited:

Back